Oklahoma
Options

Unofficially engaged but where do I start??

Hi everyone, my name's Danielle and my fiance is Matthew. We are not officially engaged but its in the works. I was hoping to get a jump on planning or at least have an idea of how this craziness works. I need help and any advice is appreciated!! :)

Re: Unofficially engaged but where do I start??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd start with a budget!  Know how much you can afford and if anyone is contributing and how much.  Don't count on any money until it is in your hands though!
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Starting pricing things.  Learning what things cost, sticker shock tends to happen ALOT but its easier to find out in the beginning than get half way through planning to realize you can't have what you really want.
    ALSO look around online for ideas.  Learn what your style is, what you like and what you DEF don't want.
  • Options
    Tocan2008Tocan2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    picking a venue should be your first task. Once you have done this then I would begin to look into all of the other areas. A good venue will help make sure your on the right path! I recommend the Chesapeake Boathouse and the Farmers Market. Both of their staffs are amazing and can help you 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Start with getting an idea of what you can afford.  We didn't have a traditional budget.  We just went with choosing things that we knew we would be able to afford. 

For instance, our venue was the Round Barn in Arcadia, and it was $350.  We loved the location and knew we could afford that, so we put down the deposit and signed the contract. 

My cousin works at Hobby Lobby, so I knew that with her discount, we would be able to afford to get the faux flowers (real touch mini calla lillies) from there, and it would be cheaper than going through a florist.  But, I also knew that I didn't want the centerpeices to be fake flowers, so I ordered bulk mini calla lillies from Sam's Wholesale (140 stems for $140) and used milk glass that I collected over the years, and also mason jars. 

So, you just have to start and get a plan in your head and decide if you are the type who can DIY or not.  And remember that sometimes DIY is cheaper and sometimes it's not.  Like, for my bouquets, it would have been more expensive to do fake than real, if I hadn't had my cousin's discount (and I also got them at Basket Market, which is owned by Hobby Lobby, so they were at wholesale pricing already before the discount).

But really, you need to start with a venue, and that will tell you what all else you need. Some places are all inclusive and some don't come with anything.  The barn came with tables and chairs and that was it.  We had to provide everything else.  Thankfully, my cousin got married just 2 weeks before me, and had to purchase tablecloths to use at her venue.  So she was kind enough to let us use those, so we didn't have to buy them.  The best part is, one of her other cousins is opening a catering business and will be using the tableclothes after I get them returned to my cousins.  So it was a win win for everyone.
  • Options
    Danielle169Danielle169 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips Tisha!! I love the DIY things that you did. They will help with my relaxed country theme Im going for. I know I want to do some DIY projects for my wedding. I also worked for Hobby Lobby and I know all the great things the have for budget brides! Thanks again :)
  • Options
    Danielle169Danielle169 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the tips! Im gonna start with my budget and go from there when I hunt for a venue!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome.  Best wishes to you, and keep posting.  The Knot if full of lots of lovely ladies with great ideas!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards