Moms and Maids
Options

What I learned from My One-Day Bridesmaid Experience

When I was a little girl, I loved weddings. Beautiful bride, fancy clothes, delicious foods, happy crowds…. Things could get better on this day. It’s “the” dream day. I haven’t had my dream day yet, but I have once come very close to it. Don’t get me wrong! I was just the bridesmaid. It was a great honor in the first place when I was asked to be the bridesmaid. Never before did I have the chance to be a bridesmaid. With all the good impressions about wedding event, I undoubtedly thought it would be a nice and honorable experience. Well, I guess it would be a great experience of my life, if I’m closely related to the bride. The fact was that I didn’t really know the bride. I met her one day before her wedding. The minute I saw her, I knew I made a mistake, because I couldn’t feel the ecstasy any more, but awkwardness. She’s my friend’s sister. Getting married at 29 years old didn’t leave her many choices to choose a bridesmaid. So over-excitedly I took the chance the moment my friend reached out to me. Not until then did I found out that it’s not fancy and easy at all to be a bridesmaid. Blowing the balloons, holding the bouquet, carrying the bags, passing the wine glasses, welcoming the wedding guests, keeping the beautiful bride always beautiful, busying around…. Not even had the chance to eat. It’s not definitely not fancy and easy at all. I felt the happiness in the beginning, but in the end, it’s all tiredness and hungriness. Plus, being a stranger bridesmaid kept me from feeling blinded in and a feeling of awkwardness constantly caught me. Looking back, it’s not a very good experience; I guess my expectations went too high. However, I’ve learned something valuable. Never to be a stranger bridesmaid, if you are offered the chance to be a bridesmaid, say “yes” only when the bride is closely related to you, or it will turn out a suffer. If I’m offered to be a bridesmaid again, I’ll still gladly take the change, but only for my best friends or relatives. No strangeness or awkwardness, even the tiredness and hungriness will be cleared away by friendship. Only then can the wedding be fancy and perfect.

http://www.sino-treasure.com/What-I-learned-from-My-One-Day-Bridesmaid-Experience-b77.html

Re: What I learned from My One-Day Bridesmaid Experience

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well that sounds just horrible, but I would never have said yes to someone I didnt even know.  Guess you learned your lesson.  Better luck next time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_learned-one-day-bridesmaid-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f5e0bf19-70c5-4e6a-b029-7dfcd41a043aPost:95bd76ea-35af-4084-9f8f-5d0d9db3eb0b">What I learned from My One-Day Bridesmaid Experience</a>:
    [QUOTE]

When I was a little girl, I loved weddings. Beautiful bride, fancy clothes, delicious foods, happy crowds…. Things could get better on this day. It’s “the” dream day.

I haven’t had my dream day yet, but I have once come very close to it. Don’t get me wrong! I was just the bridesmaid. It was a great honor in the first place when I was asked to be the bridesmaid. Never before did I have the chance to be a bridesmaid. With all the good impressions about wedding event, I undoubtedly thought it would be a nice and honorable experience.

Well, I guess it would be a great experience of my life, if I’m closely related to the bride. The fact was that I didn’t really know the bride. I met her one day before her wedding. The minute I saw her, I knew I made a mistake, because I couldn’t feel the ecstasy any more, but awkwardness.

She’s my friend’s sister. <strong>Getting married at 29 years old didn’t leave her many choices to choose a bridesmaid.</strong> So over-excitedly I took the chance the moment my friend reached out to me. Not until then did I found out that it’s not fancy and easy at all to be a bridesmaid.

Blowing the balloons, holding the bouquet, carrying the bags, passing the wine glasses, welcoming the wedding guests, keeping the beautiful bride always beautiful, busying around…. Not even had the chance to eat. It’s not definitely not fancy and easy at all. I felt the happiness in the beginning, but in the end, it’s all tiredness and hungriness. Plus, being a stranger bridesmaid kept me from feeling blinded in and a feeling of awkwardness constantly caught me.

Looking back, it’s not a very good experience; I guess my expectations went too high. However, I’ve learned something valuable. Never to be a stranger bridesmaid, if you are offered the chance to be a bridesmaid, say “yes” only when the bride is closely related to you, or it will turn out a suffer.

If I’m offered to be a bridesmaid again, I’ll still gladly take the change, but only for my best friends or relatives. No strangeness or awkwardness, even the tiredness and hungriness will be cleared away by friendship. Only then can the wedding be fancy and perfect.

Posted by nicolerocker31[/QUOTE]

First of all, what in the world does that bolded sentence mean??  As a 31 year old woman, I had plenty of people who could have been bridesmaids.  I chose not to go that route, but really?  At 29 you have no friends?  WTF?

I am sorry you had a rough time, but your experience really isn't what being a bridesmaid is all about.  I've been a MOH twice and both times I got to eat dinner, drink, dance with my friends and have a great time.  It sounds like your friend's sister had the wrong idea about a lot of things.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How old are you??  I didn't realize that my friends were supposed to go away when I hit 29.  Strangely enough, I've seemed to accumulate more friends as I've gotten older.

You weren't a BM here - you were unpaid labor in a BM dress.

btw - thanks Joy for breaking up the wall of text.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    cmusmiles85cmusmiles85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this a serious post?
    Anniversary Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    edited December 2011
    This is a spammer trying to get people to this site.  Reported.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    edited December 2011
    Ahh... this is why I deleted her link when I re-wrote it.
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uh-oh. I'm 29! I must not have realized that all my friends have expired! Who the heck were those women I was hanging out with last Saturday?!?! And who is that girl I'm supposed to be a BM for at her wedding next September that I've known since I was 14?! She's 30 (!?!?!) Doesn't she know she is a whole year past having any friends? She's already expired, anyway so she has no right to even marry! The nerve of some people. Crazy!

I'm gonna crawl back in my 29 year old hole and think about the good old times when I had more choices and friends. SADZ!
  • Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_learned-one-day-bridesmaid-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:f5e0bf19-70c5-4e6a-b029-7dfcd41a043aPost:95bd76ea-35af-4084-9f8f-5d0d9db3eb0b">What I learned from My One-Day Bridesmaid Experience</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was a little girl, I loved weddings. Beautiful bride, fancy clothes, delicious foods, happy crowds…. Things could get better on this day. It’s “the” dream day. I haven’t had my dream day yet, but I have once come very close to it. Don’t get me wrong! I was just the bridesmaid. It was a great honor in the first place when I was asked to be the bridesmaid. Never before did I have the chance to be a bridesmaid. With all the good impressions about wedding event, I undoubtedly thought it would be a nice and honorable experience. Well, I guess it would be a great experience of my life, if I’m closely related to the bride. The fact was that I didn’t really know the bride. I met her one day before her wedding. The minute I saw her, I knew I made a mistake, because I couldn’t feel the ecstasy any more, but awkwardness. She’s my friend’s sister.<strong> Getting married at 29 years old didn’t leave her many choices to choose a bridesmaid.</strong> So over-excitedly I took the chance the moment my friend reached out to me. Not until then did I found out that it’s not fancy and easy at all to be a bridesmaid. Blowing the balloons, holding the bouquet, carrying the bags, passing the wine glasses, welcoming the wedding guests, keeping the beautiful bride always beautiful, busying around…. Not even had the chance to eat. It’s not definitely not fancy and easy at all. I felt the happiness in the beginning, but in the end, it’s all tiredness and hungriness. Plus, being a stranger bridesmaid kept me from feeling blinded in and a feeling of awkwardness constantly caught me. Looking back, it’s not a very good experience; I guess my expectations went too high. However, I’ve learned something valuable. Never to be a stranger bridesmaid, if you are offered the chance to be a bridesmaid, say “yes” only when the bride is closely related to you, or it will turn out a suffer. If I’m offered to be a bridesmaid again, I’ll still gladly take the change, but only for my best friends or relatives. No strangeness or awkwardness, even the tiredness and hungriness will be cleared away by friendship. Only then can the wedding be fancy and perfect. <a href="http://www.sino-treasure.com/What-I-learned-from-My-One-Day-Bridesmaid-Experience-b77.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.sino-treasure.com/What-I-learned-from-My-One-Day-Bridesmaid-Experience-b77.html</a>
    Posted by nicolerocker31[/QUOTE]

WTF does being 29 have to do with anything?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Vendor. Reported.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    ziti - she just wants everyone to click on her link. Could you remove it from your quote, please?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards