Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Memorial

I'm having trouble thinking of a subtle way to memoralize my fiances grandmother on our wedding day. I wanted it to be unique.

Thanks.

{Little A2} 1

Re: Memorial

• Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    Ideas: empty chair with a flower or something in the program. Don't do anything too over the top. If you make it too big, then it kind of takes the happiness out of the wedding.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_memorial-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c0e26e0a-2fc5-4a57-a02a-eb0cee652e79Post:44c446ed-18ca-4596-ae64-938b2c34f735">Re: Memorial</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personal I really dislike memorials at weddings, I don't think its the time or place and its awkward for guests. If your FI really feels that he must do something small and personal. Did she have a favorite flower? Maybe that could be his boutonniere. I hate the empty chair with a flower on it, its depressing and weddings are supposed happy occasions. Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this 100% and my FI is like-minded.  We've both suffered significant losses (my sister and brother, his mother) but agree we would not want to turn our wedding into a wake or funeral.  If we were having a Catholic ceremony, we'd incorporate something into the Prayers of the Faithful.  But since that's not the case, we'll go with keeping the people we've lost in our hearts.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs completely on disliking memorials.  Weddings are meant to be joyous occasions.  And if I were at a wedding that had a chair with a flower on it and nobody sitting in it, I would probably spend the entire ceremony wondering about it.  H and I have both lost our grandparents on our fathers sides, but made no mention whatsoever of them in the wedding because neither of us felt that was the place to do it.

If you really want to do this though, then I suggest putting something in your programs about them.  That way it isn't a front and center reminder of death at your joyous occasion. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank You all!
    {Little A2} 1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards