Rhode Island
Options

Thoughts on weekend weddings?

By this I mean, what are your thoughts on a Friday wedding or a Sunday wedding? Friday and Sunday weddings are cheaper than Saturday weddings and the minimum is less. There will be a lot of guests coming from out of state, so I don't know how convenient or inconvenient it would be for out of state guests. Thoughts?

Re: Thoughts on weekend weddings?

• Options
    I am having a Friday wedding, it fit in our budget and most of our family is from MA and RI, so it would only be a 1/2 day off for them to attend the ceremony or getting out just a little early for the cocktail/reception.  I know a few other people who are having Sunday day weddings as they have a lot of OOT guests, who can fly/drive in on Friday night or Saturday and then leave Sunday night or Monday.

I think either day would work, most guests who travel to weddings, make a mini-trip out of it if they've never been to the area.  One friend planned a family reunion the Sunday after the Friday wedding, so it was one big party weekend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have no problem with either, but I will say this: I work until 6pm and taking a half day or skipping out early is usually not an option, so if it's a Friday wedding, the later the better.

Not that you'd schedule your wedding around ME specifically lol, but you could very well have guests in the same situation as me.
  • Options
    We're doing a Sunday weekend, but it is also a holiday weekend.  We figured that was good for our guests so they wouldn't have to take time off from work to travel in from out of the area. Although some say not to have it on a holiday weekend because people won't want to give up a long weekend.
  • Options
    We did ours on a Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. For about 75% of our guests it wasn't an issue, and the only folks it affected were those who didn't have Monday off. I felt strongly that a Sunday was better than a Friday. With a Friday wedding, you're asking your wedding party to also take time off for the rehearsal the night before. And out of town guests who have to fly will probably need to do so on the Thursday, too. So like PP said, the later the better on a Friday.
    On a Sun, local guests don't have to take any time off, it's more relaxed to get to the wedding (not rushing out of work to get ready). Wedding party rehearsal is a Saturday so shouldn't be an issue. And nearby folks could still stay over the Sunday night and take a half day off of work on the Monday if they wanted to really enjoy themselves. I think Sundays are the way to go!!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    Well, I don't want to do mine on a holiday weekend, that's why I'm torn. My mother thinks that a Friday is better, but then people would be expected to take Thursday off (mostly the wedding party) and Friday off. At least if I have it on a Sunday, they could come in on Friday night, Saturday, and relax before the wedding and if at most, just take Monday off to go home. I just don't want people to not come because of the fact that it may be on a Sunday or Friday. ???
  • Options
    Personally, I prefer Sunday weddings over Friday weddings because Friday is such a busy work day and the evening commute is atrocious. Most guests will make arrangements for lodging, work, and kids. Friday weddings are great if you plan on a late reception like past midnight. 
  • Options
    We are having a Friday night wedding because FI and I both agreed that it was a little more relaxed. Basically all of our family and friends live Nearby so it isnt really a big deal. Also, do what makes you happy. If you want a friday or sunday, go for it!!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I had a Sunday wedding, but it was 4th of July weekend when everyone had Monday off.  I would prefer a Sunday wedding, especially if I had to travel.
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    Moving right to IVF with ICSI
    ER: 8/17/12; 13R, 11M, 9F
    ET: 8/20/12; 2 "beautiful" embies transferred and 1 frobaby on ice
    Beta #1: 8/31/12 - BFP at 89!
    Beta #2: 9/3/12 - 315
    Beta #3: 9/10/12 - 6,109
    1st U/S: 9/24/12 - One little bean with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog: Project Make a Baby
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with OP, even if it isn't on a holiday weekend, Sunday is better. It can also be more relaxed, plus people don't HAVE to take any extra time off of work unless they choose to, even the wedding party! Just bear in mind that if folks do choose to work the next day anyway, they may leave the wedding a little early if it's an evening party. But I still believe it's the way to go.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm actually kind of surprised so many other brides think Sunday is the way to go, but I guess I hadn't really put much thought into Sunday weddings, since I had never been to one.  Honestly it's what is most convenient for you, your FI and family.  And don't forget what's available at your venue, etc.  If you are concerned about travel, maybe ask a few guests what their opinions are about travel.  I know when I was planning a Friday wedding, I asked family and friends if it would be an issue for work and such (my family doesn't hold any opinions back) and they all said that since it's local it wouldn't be an issue for getting out of work.  My bridal party is only taking the Friday of the wedding off, the rehersal is at 6:30 on Thurs and we are doing a pamper night on Wed night.

There are going to be pros and cons for each day, Saturdays are usually the most convenient (IE - why they are so popular), but even if you do a Saturday wedding, if you have a lot of OOT guests, they will have to take at least a portion of Friday to travel.  And if you have a Sunday wedding, they will have to take a portion of Monday to travel, there's no way around that.  So if the people you are inviting want to be a part of your special day, they aren't going to fret about some time away from work whether it be the end or beginning of the week.
  • Options
    I talked to several wedding planners and professional vendors and they all advised that a friday is the second best to a saturday.  On a sunday, people are not in the groove to party and dance the night away.  they are thinking about how they have to wake up for work the next day.  Why not just have it on a saturday at a place you can afford? 
  • Options
    glamorous0813glamorous0813 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I talked to several wedding planners and professional vendors and they all advised that a friday is the second best to a saturday.  On a sunday, people are not in the groove to party and dance the night away.  they are thinking about how they have to wake up for work the next day.  Why not just have it on a saturday at a place you can afford? 
  • Options
    we wanted a saturday in august and got a friday in september. at first we were really upset - but it has worked out SO well in so many ways to do it on a friday. yes, people need to take thursday and friday out of work if they are traveling but as far as vendors - we are getting a steal on the venue, transportation and hotel blocks for it being on a friday. it's working out better for us and since the festiviities are over on saturday morning after our breakfast people can leave then or maybe a weekend out of it and go home on sunday. i never looked into sunday wedding because we are getting married in a catholic church and it's not allowed to have weddings on sundays. but as LOMLBOAT said - im surprised so many ppl favor sunday over friday.but then again i could just be biased at this point :)
  • Options
    URI - I'm glad you agree with me, after I saw everyone vote for Sundays I started to freak and wanted to change the date haha (2 months away from the wedding, i'm still looking for approval of my decisions lol).

I got such good discounts and deals for a lot of my vendors, and of course the venue was incredibly cheaper.  I think it's really just preference, but I think having the Friday wedding feels like more of a party, who doesn't like to celebrate the end of the work week??
  • Options
    edited February 2012

URIsweethearts,

You can't get married on a Sunday in the Catholic Church? I have been to many Catholic weddings on a Sunday in a church.
    Anyhow, I vote for a Sunday. Being from out of town, all of our guests will be from out of town. Having it on a Sunday gives them the travel time to get to the wedding over the weekend. Most have expressed an interest in making it a weekend getaway anyway and taking that Monday off.
    If most of your guests are local, then go with the Friday because it won't as much of an issue for them to get to the wedding. Bottom line, do what works best for you. The people you really want to be there will find a way to get there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    loo loo bell - i am not sure if its all catholic churches or just mine - which could be the case bc the head priest there is SUPER strict.
    lomlboat - i def. agree with you and am very surprised also to see so many votes for sunday. i think i am just going to lurk on here and my month board because my thoughts or ideas never seem to go over too well. haha - esp the month board. i think everyone just has different ideas and everyone's wedding will be what they want. and we will all have beautiful days - no matter what day of the week it is!
  • Options
    URI - I think anyone gets touchy when people (strangers/friends/family) have ideas that do not coincide with our own, especially when it comes to weddings.  We all want everyone to love our ideas, think we are the most beautiful and that our decisions are the right ones.  As long as the decision is made and it fits you, your FI and your ideas/budget, then you are so right about it being perfect and wonderful for that individual couple.
  • Options
    My side of the family is from RI while his family is all from NC/SC, so they would be the ones having to do the travelling. I guess that's something I'll have to figure out with his mother and get her opinion on what she thinks everyone would rather do. You're right though - if they really want to be a part of our day, then they'll make the time.

Thanks girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards