Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

wedding tradition

My fiance and I are getting married on October 23, 2010.  I do not like the tradition of throwing the bouquet--and there will only be three or four single women at the wedding.  We need to have alternative to throwing the bouquet.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I will have a throw-away bouquet.  Also, James does not like the "garter"  tradition.  Does anybody have any suggestions as an alternative to him pulling the garter off my leg and throwing it to a man in the audience who will put it on someone elses leg???????    We are an older couple--late 40's early 50's and do not like these traditions we feel are meant for the younger crowd!!!!   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks
Sandy and James

Re: wedding tradition

• Skip them.  No one will really miss them.

But, if you're really intent on tossing a bouquet, do what my DD did:  invite all women on the floor to catch the bouquet for "luck" for the newlyweds.

I'm not a fan of the garter thing anyway.  I think you could quite easily skip that and no one would care at all.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We aren't doing them.  Most of the single women at the wedding will be our nieces and young cousins.  We are not ok with the idea of them being the next to get married and my MOH will be getting married about 6 months after me. 

I went to one wedding where they had all the women and men come out for the tosses and by luck a married couple were the catchers.  That was cute and more fun than the usual toss.  Which as a single woman I always hated.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We aren't doing a garter toss or a bouquet toss either.  We aren't subbing anything for them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • My friend did the anniversary dance - all married couples were invited to the dance floor, then those married less than a day were asked to leave, then under ten years then under twenty years, etc...  Finally, one couple is left dancing.  She gifted her bouquet to that couple.
  • what about handing the bouquet to a special couple in tribute? alot of people do that, maybe your parents or an older couple with the most years of marriage
  • yep we're skipping both as well.

I did see a suggestion on here once that you could have a "bouquet" of roses that when you toss it, they all fly apart so that each lady gets a rose. and you would invite all the ladies to the floor not just the single ones. If I was going to do anything, I would probably do that.
  • We skipped both and didn't have an alternative.  You don't have to plan something to replace the tosses, just don't do them.  Honestly, being that you are an older couple, I seriously doubt your guests would expect the tosses anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am doing the same thing as said in the pp.  My FI will take garter off of my leg and then we will invite all the married couples to dance.  The ones who have been married the longest will get the bouquet and garter and then they can choose to put the garter on or just take them both to their seats.  I think the couple married the longest may be my FI grandparents and I could see his grandfather putting the garter on his wife, so it would be cute!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You don't have to throw the bouquet at all. 

I did throw the bouquet, but I didn't limit it to just single ladies, I had anyone who wanted to participate come up.  It was fun.
  • Yep, we are skipping as well with no sub.
  • We skipped this, and after the first dance, we invited everyone out to the dance floor :) People could dance and eat and chat :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards