Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Flip Flop Baskets

For those of you who have or will be doing this I am wanting to know what sizes you choose and how many of each.  At my reception I am have two baskets with flip flops that the women can take to replace their heels.  I am expecting around 200 guest and am looking at getting the flip flops from Old Navy.  Old Navy does sizes 5 through 10.  I appreciate the help! Thanks

Re: Flip Flop Baskets

• Options
    You'll have to have a wide variety of sizes and several of each. Unless you ask each of your female guests beforehand what size they are, there is no way to even guess. Keep in mind that flip flops are incredibly difficult to dance in and most women, when they kick off their heels to dance, would rather dance barefoot. Something else that most people fail to realize or care about is that if your dress (and those of your bridesmaids) is altered for wearing heels of any height and then you switch to flip flops, especially the kind you are looking to purchase, you will gain several inches of fabric that you and others will be tripping over the entire time.

While it's a nice thought, it could easily be a waste of money that would be appreciated more if you put it toward food/drink or music instead which guests actually remember.
  • Options
    My guest list is about 135 and I ordered about 40 pairs of flip flops. The guys won't wear them, and not all the women will either. I just can't see my grandmother kicking off her pumps and pantyhose to put on a pair of flip flops.. haha. She'd giggle if I actually told her that! I'm mostly expecting the bridal party and other younger girls, and maybe some of our mom's friends to take a pair. I ordered the flip flops in my wedding colors and did mostly sizes 6, 7, and 8, but ordered a few 5's, 9's, and 10's as well to try and accomodate a larger range of sizes. I'm also going to attach little tags to each pair of flip flops so that the guests can tell right away which size they are taking.

I'm not worried about the length of my BM's dresses because they are knee length, and it's a summer wedding which will have the ceremony and cocktail hour outside, so I doubt many women will be wearing floor length dresses. It all depends on what time of year your wedding is and you know better than any of us how to guage your guest list and whether or not they would enjoy the thoughtfullness of a flip flop basket. I love to dance and my feet are always sore from my heels at weddings, so I thought it was a great idea!
  • Options
    Personally, I find flip-flops, especially brand new flip-flops that haven't been broken in, more uncomfortable than heels or going barefoot...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

Thanks SummerKutie for the advice since you were the only one to answer my question.  I have been to a wedding that did this and not only did I but most everyone else really enjoyed having the flip flops.  Like summerkutie my bridesmaids are in short dresses. 

SummerKutie how many 6,7,8 did you get? Thanks again for your help.

• Options
    You're very welcome mscheese. I ordered about 40 flip flops, so I'd say about 30 of them were 6, 7, and 8. That comes out to 10 pairs for each size and then the rest were 2 or 3 pairs of 5's, 9's, and 10's. I've seen pics in other knottie's bios of some great flip flop baskets, and they always look so cute!
  • Options
    We did this and it was really popular with our casual group.  We were expecting 150, so I got 50 pairs, I think 20 8's and 10 each of 7, 9 and 10.  Then we donated the rest to a charity.

Please don't get snippy with the other ladies.  While they didn't answer your direct question, the were offering helpful information that you may or may not have considered about the topic you posted.  When you post something on the internet, you open it up to a variety of advice.  You don't get to specify that people only answer a particular question.
  • Options
    While it is generally more expensive, I was thinking of doing some cheaper ballet flats. (Not tons and tons, but maybe 15 - 20 pair.)  I have trouble with flip flops myself. Call me crazy, but I never did figure out how to walk in those suckers. Just a thought. Might be something to add in....
  • Options
    I am also doing flip flop baskets for my beach-side wedding. I think the guests will appreciate having this option for dancing or taking a stroll on the beach. I went to Target and found flip flops in the Saver section for $1 a pair. The sizes are small (5-6), medium (7-8), and large (9-10). They come in several different colors (pink, green, blue, purple, black) and seem to be pretty comfortable for such a cheap pair. I am inviting 150 guests and I got 50 pairs: 12 small, 20 medium, and 18 large. I know I will probably have more than I will need but at that price I don't mind if I end up having extra.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards