Pre-wedding Parties

what do you do if you're having a destination wedding

My fiance and I are going away to get married next year...no family or friends. And people keep asking about things like bridal showers, bachelorette parties, and receptions. I guess I am wanting to know from other brides who had/having a destination wedding what they think.

Is it appropriate to have a bridal shower or bachelorette party if you're going away for the wedding?

Also, is a reception necessary? And should be informal? We are having the wedding recored so I thought it would be nice to play it at the reception...but I am not sure what direcction to take since there is no bridal party and stuff..

Re: what do you do if you're having a destination wedding

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_having-destination-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fd391301-7995-41e5-8b84-aa8c18cdd7d2Post:00b7abdf-584b-416a-bcae-4099e11e1709">what do you do if you're having a destination wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are going away to get married next year...no family or friends. And people keep asking about things like bridal showers, bachelorette parties, and receptions. I guess I am wanting to know from other brides who had/having a destination wedding what they think. Is it appropriate to have a bridal shower or bachelorette party if you're going away for the wedding? Also, is a reception necessary? And should be informal? We are having the wedding recored so I thought it would be nice to play it at the reception...but I am not sure what direcction to take since there is no bridal party and stuff..
    Posted by donisha07[/QUOTE]

If it's truly just you and your FI, then no.  You don't have showers, b-parties.  Only people who are invited to the wedding get invited to prewedding festivities.  Since you're not inviting anyone, this is easy.  No parties.

As for the "reception"?  IMO, the answer is again no.  A reception is to receive the guests who attend your ceremony.  If you're not having any guests, there's no place to hold a reception.

For my taste, and I know others feel differently, it says "You're not important enough to actually see you get married, but you can come to a party weeks (months?) later and bring me a gift."  It surely isn't the message you're trying to send, but it WILL be interpreted that way by some.

I'd suggest you enjoy your wedding, and then have a summer BBQ with friends.  No wedding anything......just a get together.

Good luck.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards