Chit Chat
Options

Alcohol

FI and I are buying the liquor and wine for our wedding. I have NO idea where to start with this. How manys bottles of each will I need? We are having 300ish people. We have to get the beer through the hall. SHould I assume half will drink beer and half will drink mixed drinks and just go from there?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alcohol

• Options
    ok first- are you having full course meals or just hor d'oerves and apps? I am asking b/c generally if people are eating a lot of food they may drink more then if they are only eating a little b/c they may not want to be the "drunk one" or feel sick or get a headache etc etc... people can generally (and will) drink more when they have a full belly to absorb the alcohol.

Secondly, of these 300 how many are under 21?

Thirdly, do these people drink alot? I know my family we are not big drinkers but my FI's family drinks alot.

Fourthly, I don't now if you would want this or if it's even an option, but perhaps a keg would be more economical then bottles?

I can't tell you how many drinks you will need for your guests, but start with this criteria I gave you and work from there. You might not need as much as you think you do.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_alcohol-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:868ebeff-b4ca-4b5a-b0c2-7365a65dc602Post:c078b039-ea11-485a-9c54-c8c6daa6b0aa">Re: Alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok first- are you having full course meals or just hor d'oerves and apps? I am asking b/c generally if people are eating a lot of food they may drink more then if they are only eating a little b/c they may not want to be the "drunk one" or feel sick or get a headache etc etc... people can generally (and will) drink more when they have a full belly to absorb the alcohol. Secondly, of these 300 how many are under 21? Thirdly, do these people drink alot? I know my family we are not big drinkers but my FI's family drinks alot. Fourthly, I don't now if you would want this or if it's even an option, but perhaps a keg would be more economical then bottles? I can't tell you how many drinks you will need for your guests, but start with this criteria I gave you and work from there. You might not need as much as you think you do. Good luck!
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

1- Full course meals
    2- I'd say about 10 out of the 300 are under 21.
    3- Yes they tend to drink quite a bit.
    4- we are doing kegs, but the hall provides the,. We are just handling the liquor/wine
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

How many drinks would you say is average an hour? I dunno, I'm thinking it's about 2 per person per hour. If it's a 4 hour reception, figure 8 drinks a person for the whole night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have a Sams Club or Costco in your area? We got a membership just for the wedding, and bought wine and mixers for liquor there. I spent a little over $200 on wine, margartia mix, sodas for mixers, and extra cups. And our 120 guests barely made a dent in our supply. Sams is awesome. 
  • Options
    This can be tough and I find people definately drink more when its open bar too. Research local suppliers that may have a buy back program. Some places, Kappys maybe, will take back un opened bottles/cases, which would help avoid over or under buying...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards