Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Question for anyone who had or is having cupcakes instead of a cake

We are having cupcakes at the reception instead of a cake. I'm wondering if people that have done this still have a small round cake at the top of the cupcake stand for the cake topper and for me and FI to cut? But if we are going to cut it does it need to be taken down from the cupcake tower at that time?

I also really, really want to have a Groom's cake. But if we have one who eats it? Does someone, like our parents, just take it home afterwards? Because all the guests will be eating the cupcakes. Or does a Groom's cake normally get served out to the guests?

159image 122image 37image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question for anyone who had or is having cupcakes instead of a cake

• LadyLawliet95LadyLawliet95 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    From what I've heard, the groom's cake is sometimes served at the rehearsal dinner, but that's all I know about that.

And I think a small cake on the top tier would be cute, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be taken down (depending on the height). Cupcakes are a great idea!
  • We are doing a cupcake stand but are also having a small cake as our caterer also a small (6-8 slice) cake for a cake cutting. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    If the groom's cake is at the wedding, then yes, it is served to the guests.  I would find a cake sitting off to the side that isn't cut and is used solely as a decoration to be strange.  I've also never seen a groom's cake when there were cupcakes served, as most people go with cupcakes to either cut down on expense or make serving easier, offer more flavors, etc.
  • I have been several weddings that had cupcakes instead of cake.  In every case the bride and groom had a small cutting cake on top of the cupcake tower.  The last wedding I attended, had a giant cupcake cake for the cutting cake.

If you serve the groom's cake at the wedding I would suggest you have the same number of servings missing from the cupcakes.  What I mean is...If the groom's cake serves 35 people then you can order 3 dozen less cupcakes (36 cupcakes) becuase instead of cupcakes some guests will be served cake.

I would suggest picking the groom's cake flavor/filling different from the cupcakes.  That will encourage people to have a slice of cake instead of a cupcake because they will want that flavor/filling offered in cake.

Also, I am all in favor of cupcakes at weddings.  But depending on what I am wearing I may want a slice of cake on a plate and eat with a fork instead of shoving a cupcake in my mouth so I don't get crumbs on my dress.  So, having a cake option could be a nice idea.
  • We had cupcakes at our wedding.  DH and I cut one and shared that instead of a small tier - but we aren't cake people (and we wanted to avoid a cutting fee).  We were very traditional - a mix of chocolate and vanilla - but we had enough cupcakes that guests could take two if they wanted.  We served the cupcakes with dessert plates and forks so they could be eaten more like traditional slices of cake.

We also had a groom's cake that we used as dessert at our rehearsal dinner.  It was themed to reflect DH's favorite sports team and was a different flavor that what we offered in our reception cupcakes. 

I think it's up to you to decide what works best for you and your FI and for your venue(s) but I don't think there's a way to really go wrong here, as long as you provide enough for all of your guests to partake.
    Anniversary

• I love the idea for having the groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner! I think I'll do that and just have a small top tier cake for cutting at the wedding. Thanks for all your input  :)
    159image 122image 37image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going to put our topper on a giant cupcake and cut that. Bonus: it'll cost only $5 instead of like $30 for a whole cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards