Catholic Weddings
Options

Participation from friends during nuptial mass

This is my first time posting here (I think?) and I'm wondering if some of you can help me out.

I'm trying to find roles in the mass for my friends because I have a very small bridal party--just my sister, the MOH.

I'd always planned on having my two Catholic friends (who happen to be my closest friends) do the readings, no problems there.

I'm just now realizing I may be able to have other friends participate through the prayer of the faithful and preparation of the gifts.  However, I have no Catholic friends left.  Is it inappropriate to have them perform these tasks?  Further, how many people are needed for the preparation of the gifts?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give!

Photobucket

Anniversary

Re: Participation from friends during nuptial mass

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    The gifts don't have  to be brought to the altar by a Catholic nor do the Intentions have to be read by a Catholic.

Two people generally bring the gifts.

Or in my church anyhow.

Ask your pastor, JIC
  • Options
    I think it is more appropriate to have Catholics bring the gifts forward. Theologically, it is something of an affirmation that these gifts will become the Paschal Sacrifice and the Body and Blood of Christ; a non-Catholic probably doesn't share these views.

The prayers of the faithful can probably be read by anyone who at least believes in the power of prayer. Many priests also allow non-Catholics to read scripture in which they believe (for example, a Jewish friend could do the OT reading or a protestant friend could do the Epistle), if mixing things up helps at all.

All of that said, I would ask your priest. He's the only one who can tell you definitively what he will allow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I agree with Bibli.  I think it should be someone who believes that the bread and wine will become the body and blood.

That said, at my grandmother's funeral, all the grandchildren were asked to present the gifts.  At the time, my sister and I were not Catholic and it was no problem.  It was the wish of my grandmother.

You'd need at least two people.  We had four at our wedding -- my SIL, H's SIL, and our neice and nephew.

Suggestion: Could two people read the prayer?  Our friends did this at their wedding -- their mothers read the prayer together.

Also, welcome to the board!
    Anniversary

• Options
    kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    Thanks for everyone's input!  That's kinda what I was thinking, too...

Photobucket

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards