Honeymoon Discussions
Options

AI in Riviera Maya - need your input pretty please!!

I have been talking to a TA from Beach Bum who has recommended the El Dorado resorts. Our budget is $3000 and these are slightly over. If it is totally worth the money, I will consider it, but I was hoping we could find something less than that since we are going to spend some money on excursions. In addition to being AI, it would be really nice to have everything including tips included as well (which El Dorado has). She has steered me away from Dreams since they are not adults only. Do any of you have any input on recommendations, what you paid, how long was your trip booked for (we are looking at 5 days), were there lots of excursions available? Resort credits? We will relax some, but we are pretty active and we won't be laying around much.

I would love some feedback - my brain is starting to swell! Undecided 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: AI in Riviera Maya - need your input pretty please!!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    We stayed at The Royal, an AI right in Playa del Carmen, and loved it (full review here - clicky). For 5 nights in Feb/March, we paid around $2700, including non-stop transportation to and from the airport (well worth the extra expense). We did a snorkeling excursion to a national park/coral reef in Puerto Morelos and I saw many other couples doing excursions to other popular destinations (Xel-Ha, Xplor, etc.).

My mom and dad stayed at the El Dorado Royale a few years ago and while they enjoyed it, they also felt like it was overpriced and secluded (it was at least a $30 cab ride to go into town).

It's a gorgeous area, and a perfect destination for honeymoons - GL!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We were thinking of going to Riveara Maya but are going to P*nta Cana instead. When we were looking we were looking at the El Dorados as well but if we would have gone, we would have gone to Valentin Imperial Maya. We have talked to several people who have gone and have told us wonderful things.

My best friend went to El Dorado Seaside ( I think is what its called) and she said it was just a little to quiet for them. Also I know El Dorado Royale has a very rocky beach as well as beach whales (bags of sand to block the rough tide). This was a deal breaker as it didnt make for such a prettey view!

Good Luck! 

• Options
    We were thinking of going to Riveara Maya but are going to P*nt* Cana instead. When we were looking we were looking at the El Dorados as well but if we would have gone, we would have gone to Valentin Imperial Maya. We have talked to several people who have gone and have told us wonderful things.

My best friend went to El Dorado Seaside ( I think is what its called) and she said it was just a little to quiet for them. Also I know El Dorado Royale has a very rocky beach as well as beach whales (bags of sand to block the rough tide). This was a deal breaker as it didnt make for such a prettey view!

Good Luck! 

• Options
    when are you going? i've found that during non-holiday times the amount of kids REALLY falls off so it might not be something to worry about. and large places usually have a ton of beach area/pools etc.. and some have special quiet areas so they're not around at all.

• Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I agree with Ali; it depends when you're traveling
  • Options
    My BFF stayed at one of the El Dorado resorts and loved it. It was secluded but that's what she wanted for her honeymoon. 
  • Options

We are thinking about going to the El Dorodo Royal for our Oct. Honeymoon. I found a deal on Bookit.com for the hotel, airfare,airport transfer and insurance for 2,400. If you book through them you also get some incentives. You should check it out. We havent decided on which resort yet have looked at so many online I am getting sick of it. Just want to book already. Hope this helps

Oh one more thing...my hairdresser stayed at the Sun palace for their honeymoon and loved it. Think its still in that price range depending on what type of room you get.

• Options
    I stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun in RM once.  It was fantastic.  About 15 min from the Cancun airport and next to a town called Puerto Morelos that is a tiny seaside village.  You can take a 5 min cab for $5-10 or walk on the beach in 45 min. It was pretty reasonable and the food was fantastic!  1.5 yrs ago, we paid $1100 for 5 days, including non-stop airfare, an upgraded swim out suite (IMO a waste of money... I'd do an extra day instead of an upgraded suite) and transportation to and from the hotel.  Tips are included, but we still tipped here and there. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards