Favors
Options

Odd question about favors/reception centerpieces

I'm on a budget wedding. I'm thinking of including a picture of my fiance and I in the programs or invitations, and leave it simple.

However, I am having fresh flowers at my reception. To make a long story short, each of the 6 tables at the reception (it's a super small wedding) will be dedicated to a particular couple from our familes who has inspired us and helped us in our lives. One will be, "Patrick and Suzann XXXX, May We Learn From Your Faith", "Roland and Kay YYYYY, May We Learn From Your Perseverance", etc. We thought it would be nice to give the flower centerpieces to the couple who is being honored at that table.

Here's the catch...Long story short, I don't get along with my mom at all. She won't be involved in ANY of the wedding plans, and I'm even considering not inviting her (but this would mean my siblings wouldn't be able to come, and a lot of that side of the family might not come. I haven't figured it all out yet. It's super complicated and emotionally painful). The table 'honoring' her and her husband is sort of an intentional, polite bash: "Kristine and Clifford ZZZZ, May We Learn From Your Mistakes". Really, I don't want my mom getting the wrong idea for my presenting her with a special gift. But, our family is so small, I'm not sure who to replace her with.

But, I also don't want to offend anyone else because they didn't get a special table or gift. I'm not sure what to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the situation would be appreciated.
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Odd question about favors/reception centerpieces

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would forget about this idea completely. "Honoring" your mother by pointing out her mistakes to everyone at your wedding. I don't even have words for this. It is a horrible, horrible idea. What possessed you to come up with this?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I edited the post because full names should never be used, for the protection of privacy to those people.  With that, I deleted the quoted post, but PP, feel free to quote it again.

I agree that this is not the best idea.  You will have people who are left out, and you will have people who are offended. If you are looking for ideas for favors, check out the sticky post at the top of the Favor Forum.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think passively-aggressively being cruel to your mom at your wedding is so beyond appropriate that I have a hard time thinking of words to describe what you're doing.

Well okay:  cruel, humiliating, mean-spirited, unneccessary, callous, harsh, hateful, embarrassing, and demeaning all come to mind.

This will only make every single one of your guests uncomfortable, but it also pretty much closes the door on any reconciliation you might ever have with your mom.

I'm a mom:  I don't think that the hurt that such a thing would cause me would ever, ever go away.

BTW:  I'm not a fan of the whole idea.  Giving some guests the CPs is NOT a favor to your guests.  It's a gesture to certain couples, while the other couples will be sitting there wondering "What am I?  Chopped liver?"

If you really want to thank people for modeling behaviors that you hope to emulate, write them a lovely note and mail it to them.

Final thought:  which of the couples you're "honoring" taught you that it is okay to be cruel and merciless?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_odd-question-favorsreception-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:9a487020-a4bb-4956-836b-701cfbf914b6Post:daa5a700-d121-4be8-aeef-a4897f3b2a7f">Odd question about favors/reception centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm on a budget wedding. I'm thinking of including a picture of my fiance and I in the programs or invitations, and leave it simple. However, I am having fresh flowers at my reception. To make a long story short, each of the 6 tables at the reception (it's a super small wedding) will be dedicated to a particular couple from our familes who has inspired us and helped us in our lives. One will be, "Patrick and Suzann XXXX, May We Learn From Your Faith", "Roland and Kay YYYYY, May We Learn From Your Perseverance", etc. We thought it would be nice to give the flower centerpieces to the couple who is being honored at that table. Here's the catch...Long story short, I don't get along with my mom at all. She won't be involved in ANY of the wedding plans, and I'm even considering not inviting her (but this would mean my siblings wouldn't be able to come, and a lot of that side of the family might not come. I haven't figured it all out yet. It's super complicated and emotionally painful). The table 'honoring' her and her husband is sort of an intentional, polite bash: "Kristine and Clifford ZZZZ, May We Learn From Your Mistakes". Really, I don't want my mom getting the wrong idea for my presenting her with a special gift. But, our family is so small, I'm not sure who to replace her with. But, I also don't want to offend anyone else because they didn't get a special table or gift. I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts or suggestions on the situation would be appreciated.
    Posted by vettechgirl[/QUOTE]

JIC
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have that mother too, and I am a mom.  As satisfying as it would be, please resist the temptation.  You be the bigger person.  You'll feel good about yourself later and she won't have another thing to hold against you.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    vettechgirlvettechgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see your point. I always knew it was cruel, but somehow, revenge in some way just felt good. I can't go into the details of the things her and her husband have done to me and my sister. They are unspeakable and inappropriate to post. So, I guess the idea of exacting some revenge in a subtle way felt like a bit of closure.

I do see you're points about some feeling left out. Any idea what I should do with the centerpieces? There will be 7 centerpieces of 12 carnations in total- so 84 flowers. I've heard some people give the individual flowers out as favors, but I'm not sure how this would be done. Is it like a mini 'event' where the bride and groom take the time to give out the flowers to each person? Do they people just take them if they want to? For a proper favor, wouldn't we need to attach something like a little card with our names, date or the wedding, etc? Not sure how that could work, whether the cards were pre-attached or not.

Ideas?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_odd-question-favorsreception-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:9a487020-a4bb-4956-836b-701cfbf914b6Post:06636fc4-081a-489b-a5b2-da4069be15e9">Re: Odd question about favors/reception centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Odd question about favors/reception centerpieces : <strong> JIC</strong>
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Thanks, didn't back in time to quote it again for posterity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to do favors, just do favors. Something edible is always appreciated. And if you want to make an announcement at the end of the night that people can take the CPs, just let whoever wants them, take them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think this is a good idea at all and agree with the pp's. My mom and I don't get along either nor has she been involved in our wedding in any way. I'm not even sure she is going to be there even though she says she has a dress. The point is that your guests don't want to be dragged into your family drama. You need to be mature and put this behind you even if it is for one day. How do you expect to enjoy a happy day when you are bringing up the sad past? It just doesn't make sense to me.

The other point I want to make is that regardless of what she has done or whatever, she is still your mom and you need to treat her with some respect. While you don't have to pretend you two are close, you still need to respect her.

There are plenty of things my mom has done to me (just ask FI) that most parents would never think of doing to their own children. While it has been hard for me as well, forgiveness goes a long way. I think you may even want to talk to someone like a priest or a counselor if it is still bothering you. This helped me tremedously bc what I did not realize is how this could affect FH's and my relationship with her as well as our future kids (bc I am not sure I want them around her).
  • Options
    vettechgirlvettechgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to counciling. The councilor wasn't really sure how to help me. She tried to kill me twice (arrested once), and both she and her husband did 'inappropriate acts' to both my sister and me. I think you can draw your own conclusions from that sentance. Mom or not, I don't think a person like that deserves much respect. I tried mending things with her, then she accused me of file a Child Services Report against her and her husband (that time, I did not). I am no longer allowed to see my brother or other sister because of it. Sorry, a real mom doesn't do those things to a child.
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    vettech, sorry these things happened to you.  I does seem as though you do need to get to the root of the problem with your mother, and stabbing at her during your wedding is not the way to go about this.

As for what to do with your centerpieces- well, do you have grandparents who will be there?  Send them home with them.  Do you have special people helping you out in any way that day?  Send them home with them.  Throw them away.  Donate them to a nursing home.  Donate them to a hospital.  These are all options.  I don't think you should necessarily take them apart and give each person a flower.  If you are looking for ideas, check out the sticky at the top of the forum.  Edibles are always great, and typically inexpensive.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's bad enough she and her husband have tarnished so much of your life already, don't let them overshadow your wedding day, as well.

Acknowledging any of it will always have that memory lingering over the whole day.  Invite them if you feel you must (in order to include other family that you DO want there), but otherwise ignore them - that's my advice.   People who know the story will have all sorts of feelings (good and/or bad) regarding your tactics, and people who do NOT know the story will think you're nuts and feel awkward.

As for the centerpieces - lots of people have a special number or note taped under a chair (or whatever else) and a cute little announcement is made to the effect of "If you look under your chair -or whatever else-  and you see an x,  you are a winner and please feel free to take home a centerpiece!"

In our case, we're a little game out of it that ties in with our reception and will randomly (to some effect) get rid of them.

Good luck and congratulations!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_odd-question-favorsreception-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:9a487020-a4bb-4956-836b-701cfbf914b6Post:daa5a700-d121-4be8-aeef-a4897f3b2a7f">Odd question about favors/reception centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm on a budget wedding. I'm thinking of including a picture of my fiance and I in the programs or invitations, and leave it simple. However, I am having fresh flowers at my reception. To make a long story short, each of the 6 tables at the reception (it's a super small wedding) will be dedicated to a particular couple from our familes who has inspired us and helped us in our lives. One will be, "Patrick and Suzann XXXX, May We Learn From Your Faith", "Roland and Kay YYYYY, May We Learn From Your Perseverance", etc. We thought it would be nice to give the flower centerpieces to the couple who is being honored at that table. Here's the catch...Long story short, I don't get along with my mom at all. She won't be involved in ANY of the wedding plans, and I'm even considering not inviting her (but this would mean my siblings wouldn't be able to come, and a lot of that side of the family might not come. I haven't figured it all out yet. It's super complicated and emotionally painful). The table 'honoring' her and her husband is sort of an intentional, polite bash: "Kristine and Clifford ZZZZ, May We Learn From Your Mistakes". Really, I don't want my mom getting the wrong idea for my presenting her with a special gift. But, our family is so small, I'm not sure who to replace her with. But, I also don't want to offend anyone else because they didn't get a special table or gift. I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts or suggestions on the situation would be appreciated.
    Posted by vettechgirl[/QUOTE]

Hun this may not be the best idea, primarily because other people will be commenting on that more than you. I also agree that other couples will feel left out and other people will feel slighted if they dont get a favor, especially since your wedding is small. Boxes of candy are always cheap to give out to make sure everyone gets something
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    ierlandierland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well back to the original point of your post. A friend of mine raffeled off her center pieces. that way everyone has a chance, it's kinda fun, noone feels left out, and you only have to get raffle tickets and your favors are handled. It went over really well. Honor your friends with a note, leave your mom off. I live by the moto "kill them with kindness" just inviting her will be a blow. It will say dispite her you became a better person.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion would be to broaden your idea a little bit.   dont single couples out, but maybe it could be 'to our friends who have ___'
    to our parents who have___
    to our grandparents ___
    etc..
    and then just keep the flowers!

or scrap the idea, and try something new, and a little less personal.  people can be thanked personally in teh thank you cards..

btw im very sorry you have had to suffer through such harsh trials in life.  its courageous of you to invite those who have wronged you so badly in the past.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bufey21bufey21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else that while I get you are trying to be original, this is a really awful idea. Not only will your mother be completely insulted, this is not the time to point out that you don't get along. And especially since your wedding is so small, only choosing certain couples to mention will certainly leave someone out who will be offended.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards