Destination Weddings Discussions

Intro - St. Thomas Cruise Bride and BM gift question

Good Morning!

I've posted a couple of times in others' posts but realize I never really have introduced myself to the group.  My fiance and I are getting married 7/3 in St. Thomas, while on a cruise.  We have about 30 people (all family) on the cruise with us, and about 10 people (friends and family) flying right to St. Thomas for the big day.  

We have a lot of our plans made already, but of course still have things to do.  The topic on my mind today is gifts for my bridesmaids.  i know I'm not supposed to get them something FOR the wedding (jewelry, etc.).  I'm thinking about getting them a Vera Bradley tote (leaning toward the Vera or Get Carried Away:  http://www.verabradley.com/category/Category/Totes/642/pc/638.uts.  I'm thinking I could send them ahead of the trip so they could use them for the cruise if they wish.  Do you think this is tacky?  I know it's something I would like, and when I think back about BM gifts I've received in the past, a Coach wallet is something that I rec'd that I used the most - it's practical but something I probably would not have purchased for myself.

Any thoughts on the VB idea or suggestions of something else I might consider?

Oh I'm also in serious weight loss/fitness mode so I fully plan on getting in on your accountability posts : ) 

Thanks!!!  

Re: Intro - St. Thomas Cruise Bride and BM gift question

• I am getting my bridesmaids barefoot sandals that they can wear during the ceremony if they want with matching earrings and bracelets. I am also going to throw in matching beach towels, beach candles that my FMIL made and something unique to each of them...mini liquor bottles for my 2 friends & FSIL...still have not decided on what I am getting my sister and cousin. But possibly picture frames with pictures of us in them from growing up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats and Welcome!

I am planning on shopping for mine like I would their bday. I was thinking a wine aerator or fridge for one, one of those monthly shoe sites like shoedazzle for another, maybe a spa gift certificate for another, and haven't decided on the other 2. 

If you don't want to give it to them ahead of time, you could have their bags double as OOT bags and have it delivered to their room or something. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I live on St. Thomas, and will be getting married here too!  So happy to have another STT bride :)

I like the VB bag idea.  Choose colors that suit your bridesmaids personalities.  If one hates pink, no pink for her!  I also don't see an issue with giving the bags early, maybe right before the cruise or even on the first day? 
  • Congrats and welcome! I decided to do a bunch of smaller things, some the same and some unique to them. I didn't include 'bridesmaid' or anything wedding specific on any, infact the gifts are all in their individual fav colours :)

So far I got them:
    - Totes with their name on it in their fav colours
    - Mugs with their name on it in their fav colours with drink mix for their fav drink (so hot chocolate, tea, etc)
    - Picture frames for each with pictures of us together
    - Jewellery for the 4 girls in their fav colour/style

I need something for my MOH in place of the jewellery but haven't decided on anything for him yet.
  • You LIVE on St. Thomas?!?  Wow, I might need to pick your brain!!!  

Thanks ladies for all of the suggestions.  Seems like you can go a lot of ways with BM gifts!  

We are getting married on Lindquist Beach, and our reception will be at Sunset Grille at Secret Harbour.  Island Bliss Weddings is our coordinator.  We are very excited!!  
  • Yep, I live here.  LOVE Lindquist Beach.  It's so gorgeous and quiet.  You picked a beautiful beach! And Secret Harbour is where I am thinking about doing my ceremony/reception.  Great choices :) If there's anything I can help you with, send me a message!
  • chantal630chantal630 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Hi Everyone! My name is Chantal and I am also getting married in St.Thomas May 2013! We are having about 30 people come. My fiancee's family has a time share at the Marriott so we are staying the whole week. We are also getting married on Lindquist, that is my absolute favorite beach of all time. We are having our reception at Havana Blue . Does anyone have suggestions for a good wedding coordinator with reasonable pricing. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good hair stylist for the day of? Thanks so much!
  • edited March 2012

Oh my goodness, you are going to become my new BFF! We are having almost the EXACT same wedding! :) Sort of...

We're doing St. Thomas on 11/5/12 via a cruise, Janelle's my planner, but we're doing Lime Tree vs. Lindquist for the ceremony. We're considering Sunsets for a "reception" after, so I would LOVE to hear your review after your wedding!!!

• Harr - definitely!  We must both have great taste : )  I liked Lime Tree too, but our crowd is a bit too big and I really wanted to get married on sand rather than grass.  It does look so nice there though!  

Chantal, Island Bliss Weddings gets great reviews, and Janelle has been great to work with so far!  Check out her website & blog for more info.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards