Connecticut
Options

Real flowers in your hair...

Has anyone worn real flowers in their hair for a summer wedding? I"m getting married in June and I really want to have real flowers in my hair, as opposed to a silk flower or a floral headpiece. My florist says they might not hold up in the heat, and it would be better to use silk flowers, but I am really set on the idea of real flowers. Anyone have any experience with this?

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Real flowers in your hair...

• Options
    DiLynn83DiLynn83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm fairly certain you'd be better off with silk.

Real flowers wilt in the heat, they're delicate and breakable... I'd go with a hairpiece.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually think it depends on the flower. If you have a sturdy flower you should be ok. My sister got married a few years ago in July, and I had a comb wrapped with small red roses tucked into my up-do. They stayed perfect all day! But I do think that if you go with a more delacate flower, you might have trouble with it wilting. Have you looked at etsy? I had a flower clip made for me and it looks pretty good!
    imageMoo Moo Kitten is resting... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Etsy is a good idea - thank you! I suppose it's hard to tell whether the flowers are fake or real, especially in photos (non-closeups). I think I'll go with silk flowers, to be safe. i'd rather have fake flowers than wilted ones!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used a woman on Etsy that makes handmade polymer clay flowers.  She sculpted a beautiful phalaenopsis orchid for my hair (in memory of my grandmother).  It looked absolutely real.  Most people couldn't even tell.  The nice thing is that I will have it for forever as a keepsake from our wedding. 

Definitely take a look at her shop.  Her flowers are amazing and look 100x more lifelike than silk.

www.etsy.com/shop/midoridesigns
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_real-flowers-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:aeec7bb6-5faa-4d17-a457-1da38a2f6560Post:1c2024e3-42a8-44f5-a6cc-68d2f676d8fb">Re: Real flowers in your hair...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used a woman on Etsy that makes handmade polymer clay flowers.  She sculpted a beautiful phalaenopsis orchid for my hair (in memory of my grandmother).  It looked absolutely real.  Most people couldn't even tell.  The nice thing is that I will have it for forever as a keepsake from our wedding.  Definitely take a look at her shop.  Her flowers are amazing and look 100x more lifelike than silk. <a href="http://www.etsy.com/shop/midoridesigns" rel='nofollow'>www.etsy.com/shop/midoridesigns</a>
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

I LOVE these!  THey look amazing.  Now I might have to get one...lol!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_real-flowers-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:aeec7bb6-5faa-4d17-a457-1da38a2f6560Post:c775fe50-4f4d-48b6-bb03-b52c627a5411">Re: Real flowers in your hair...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Real flowers in your hair... : I LOVE these!  THey look amazing.  Now I might have to get one...lol!
    Posted by BeabullMom[/QUOTE]
    She's so amazing.... truly gifted.  When I ordered mine, she didn't have the kind of orchid I was looking for either, and she custom created it.  It took a while, since she hand sculpts them, but it was totally worth it.  I've had a few other friends that have ordered from her since for their weddings, and everyone was very happy with the results.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want a "fake flower" in my hair either, so I opted to go with a cloth flower.  I figured I didn't want it to look like I was trying to make it look real, and I absolutely love the style of the Etsy vendor I bought mine from:

Corrine O'Neil

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60269600/pale-yellow-english-garden-rose-fabric

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards