Michigan-Detroit
Options

Budget Wedding/Reception in the Detroit area

I just got engaged a little over a week ago, and my fiance and I are starting to look at options... we're planning for Spring 2013, probably around March or April, and we want something small.  No more than 30 people.  And we don't really want a traditional reception, since I think both of us would want to run away and escape halfway through... something with just people hanging out and talking and eating is more of our style.

The problem that I'm running into is two-fold.  1) I have bad hayfever/pollen/grass allergies, so that limits the idea of an outdoor wedding.... plus the weather in Michigan is so unpredicable that time of year.  2)  The idea of renting out the back room of a restaurant kinda makes me uneasy since the only real restaurants that I eat at are small japanese places and that wouldn't go over well with my family, plus the places I go to tend not to have rooms to rent.

So I'm looking for advice... are they are neat, non-traditional places for weddings/gatherings that are indoor?  We have a budget of about $2500-$3000 for the wedding/reception so that leaves out the Zoo, and I want something that's not the same old reception hall or church, but is still pretty.  I already have the person who's officiating lined up as well as music, but I still need a site! 

I know I'm probably asking for a lot, but I figure that it can't help to brainstorm on here a little bit.

Re: Budget Wedding/Reception in the Detroit area

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement & welcome!

At the top of the board there is a pushpin with vendor info, prices, ratings. You can start there, but I think most of the brides on this board have had guest lists a bit larger than yours.

You can check out my venue, Greenmead Village in Livonia via the link below to my bio, then vendor link. Our venue is on the smallish side, we actually pushed the limits with our list under 100. However, they have an adorable chapel and you can walk to the banquet area inside the historic Alexander Blue House. You can see more pictures if you go to my link for "photos", the pro pic link is in there also.

The cost for renting both was $1000 for a Livonia resident. Not sure what the prices are now. We used Holiday Market for our catering, and you can definitely get fabulous meals for under $20 per person. The tables and chairs are included in the rental price. It's NOT the same old reception site, is very romantic and has an old fashioned feeling to it. If you can be around the gardens at all, they have fabulous gardens where we took all our pictures at our wedding in August. I know their gardens look lovely year round, because we took our engagement pics in October of last year and they still had annuals around.

Another place is the Scarab Club in Detroit (behind the Inst of Arts). There is actually a wedding there in the Michigan Knot magazine for the fall/winter edition. Not sure of the prices though.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll hear of other venues as well.
  • Options
    empowderempowder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on the engagement!

I would recommend checking out the Players Detroit.  It's a private theater on Jefferson.  It's really unique.  We loved it but size was a problem for us.  It would be perect for a smaller group.

You also might want to check out the Detroit Historical Society.  They have space at the main museum and at the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle.  There is is a really cool space at the Great Lakes Museum called the Gothic Room, which is actually from an old luxury liner. 

If you're looking for something more along the restaurant vein, check out Cliff Bells.  It's a jazz club with a cool vibe, and I hear the food is supposed to be amazing.

Happy hunting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone... I'll check them out.  I'm actually about 5 miles from Greenmead Village, so that's an easy one.  The other ones I'll look up and see what I can find out them, and then contact them for pricing.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using the dining facility at Madonna University in Livonia.  It's only about $20/person for a buffet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards