Wedding Etiquette Forum

Shower question - lingerie registry?

Just writing this is making me laugh, but my lovely BM's are throwing me a shower next month and the theme is Sexy Chef - so friends can bring lingerie/beauty things, or real kitchen items. I love the idea. BUT my MOH (my sister) asked me last night if I should register for lingerie, or let her know my size. What have you guys done? I'm fine w/ gift certificates to Victoria's Secret, etc, and won't be offended if they get my size wrong, as long as I can exchange what they get me for a different size. As I type this, I realize i'm going to get 5 copies of 50 Shades of Gray....from grey-haired women..... haha

Re: Shower question - lingerie registry?

• I like the wishlist - great idea.  i'm definitely more thinking they'll pick up a few cute nighties. And let's be honest, he's a 28 year old man - me holding a kitchenaid mixer would give him a boner :)

Even new sheets or candles to spruce up the boudouir would be great.
  • That sounds like a really adorable party! I would love something like that for my shower, but unfortunately my boob size would be too difficult for everyone to accommodate :(

I saw cute inserts on Pinterest that I believe go inside the invitation, and they look like a little corset, with the bust saying "34B" and the bottom part says "small" or something. It was super cute. Now that I think about it, it might have been the back of the invitation itself which was shaped like a corset.

Either way, that is a very fun party and I am jealous!
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-question-lingerie-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:241eeed5-e19d-4785-981e-cf9d2e1bbf94Post:e70b8a40-c71f-4d02-923f-e4b5bb5869b5">Re:Shower question lingerie registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Shower question lingerie registry? : good point, Lia -- my lingerie shower was with my girlfriends.  My mom was there, too, but I was not uncomfortable by it.    ETA:  <strong>I wore pj shorts and a high school tshirt to bed last night and hubby said it was super sexy. Go figure.</strong>
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I think lingerie is more for the woman to feel sexy than the man.  Birthday suits are usually enough for men.  :)

SaveSave
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    I remember once at my office, there was a shower for one of my coworkers, and she was given a nightie from Victoria's Secret "as something to remember [the givers] by on her honeymoon, hee hee."  (Yeah, that's an exact quote in an email sent by one of the organizers to the other women who were expected to be attendees.)

I didn't say anything, but I was definitely uncomfortable with it and I think some of the other women there were also.  The organizer who sent that quote was involved in HR, too.

If you register for lingerie, make sure that you only register for items you would really be comfortable receiving, especially from people like elderly relatives, and don't let co-workers or anyone else you need to respect you know about it.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-question-lingerie-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:241eeed5-e19d-4785-981e-cf9d2e1bbf94Post:162994c3-0a55-4ab7-9b33-bc14324a1a0c">Re:Shower question lingerie registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I expressly forbid any sort of lingerie shower because I didn't want other people buying clothing intended to give my husband an erection and I knew I likely wouldn't use most of it anyway.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This made me spit my drink on my laptop, very funny and I agree.

I was at a shower a few years ago, regular shower not specifically lingerie one, and several of the bride's older aunts and her GRANDMA bought her lingerie.  Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't expecting that and felt a little awkward.

However, hHope you have an awesome shower!  The Pinterest invites mentioned earlier sounded cute.

Edit: Spelling fail.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-question-lingerie-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:241eeed5-e19d-4785-981e-cf9d2e1bbf94Post:162994c3-0a55-4ab7-9b33-bc14324a1a0c">Re:Shower question lingerie registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you do a lingerie shower, your bra size, panty size, and general size should be included with the invite. YOU may not care if they get your size wrong, but as a guest it is extremely stressful to shop for lingerie without a size. <strong>I expressly forbid any sort of lingerie shower because I didn't want other people buying clothing intended to give my husband an erection a</strong>nd I knew I likely wouldn't use most of it anyway.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>i had a craptastic end to my day at work.  this just made me spit water at my laptop!  thank you for cheering me up without knowing it.</div><div>
    </div><div>FWIW, i forbid the same thing b/c i don't want to THINK about what my friends/mom would get me in terms of lingere (or *gulp* marital aids) and nor do i want to SEE his mom/family's reaction.  Super SUPER SUPER conservative.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My shower is Sunday... </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • Unrelated... Kristan- I am glad that I am not the only one still rocking high school t-shirts. I may show my FI your comment just for validation :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-question-lingerie-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:241eeed5-e19d-4785-981e-cf9d2e1bbf94Post:84725f3d-bbda-406b-985e-2ff5eb2f24ed">Re: Shower question - lingerie registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shower question - lingerie registry? : at WORK??  oh no, no, no.  I went to a bachelorette party for a coworker once, but it was a group of us who hung out together outside of work.  
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it happened at my then job.  For real.  So I'd be very careful with registry information if it includes anything you wouldn't want co-workers or supervisors to get hold of.
  • I would create a wish list at a few places like VS, tell your sis what those places are, and give your sis your sizes. That way she can include it in the invite or let people know as they ask once they've RSVPed, and it makes it easier for everyone.  Since it is beauty/kitchen as well, maybe do a wish list at places like sephora and williams-sonoma, in addition to places like VS, for those that are uncomfortable, as Stage so eloquently says, shopping for items intended to give your FI an erection. (Stage - funniest thing I've read today!)
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • I always give 2 gifts for lingerie showers: pretty but elegant lingerie with a note that reads for her fiance, and a second pretty famine cotton PJ set that's says its for her. It seems to be appreciated yet get a good chuckle too.
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards