Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Naylor Winery....??

Has anyone had their wedding or been to a wedding at Naylor Winery in york- stewartstown... was looking into here and wanted some feedback
thanks!!!!!

Re: Naylor Winery....??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not, but they have great wine!  They're very well known in York!
  • Options
    mexrishgirlmexrishgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not too familiar, but if you are looking at wineries, Hunter's Valley Vineyard is a beautiful one - and very inexpensive.
  • Options
    writergirl28writergirl28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you actually seen the side at Naylor's yet? I went to look there in April and it was a definite no for me. If the weather doesn't cooperate (rain or even wind), there is NO shelter or back up plan there.  Naylors solution for this (as I was told by the lady who gives the tour) is to have people bring in their own tarps and bungee cord tarps to the sides of the open air pavillion. NO Thanks! Also the bathrooms are far enough away from the pavillion that people will get soaked trying to use them if it does rain. When I was there, it was set up for a wedding and it was windy. Everything on the tables was blowing around and it was freezing because there is no shelter from the wind. It is not ideal for an outdoor wedding IMO. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with writergirl; I've been to a wedding there and happened to me on a day where it rained all day. So, the ground was muddy and there were random tarps all over and you had to use your umbrella to get to the bar and to the bathroom. If you are lucky to get a good day, I'm sure its pretty!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto pp. while their wine is delicious the venue isnt ideal.

if you are set on a winery check out moon dancer (it is pricey though) or hauser estate in gettysburg.

while Hunters Valley Winery is a gorgeous location as pp mentioned, i had a terrible terrible experience trying to book a wedding there and i would NOT recommend it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mexrishgirlmexrishgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    steeser... What sort of trouble did you have?  I am having my wedding there, so I'm all ears if there is something I should be looking out for.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mexrish- we got engaged last may with the plan to get married in september. we very much wanted to get married at a winery. i called Hunters Valley and was given the runaround on four separate occasions. in their defense, this was only a few months after the new location opened.

first they said we could have the wedding there no problem! they told me the only things that i would need to purchase would be the site fee and then i could utilize the pavillion area for our reception. i would obviously need to provide my own caterer and rental chairs if i wanted the ceremony in a separate location than the pavillion/reception. she had to get back to me on dates.

i waited five days and then called back myself because like i said this was May, we didnt exactly have lots of time to spare on picking a venue. at this point in time i was told that they had every saturday in september except the first open. and that the first person who gave me information was incorrect. i also needed to purchase an event permit because they do not cover personal events under their insurance. i was to be called back regarding when i could come meet with someone and make a deposit.

again, i was not called back. i waited another five days and called again. this time they told me that i also needed to rent portapotties because they would not allow the use of their bathroom facility when the winery is open. when i inquired about an evening or sunday wedding i was told i couldnt have an event outside of winery hours. which meant our wedding reception needed to be completed by six pm on our chosen date. which i was never told before. i was also told this time that our total reception and ceremony could only be three hours, when the first time i was told that the site reservation was for six hours and that 4 PM to 10 PM would not be a problem. no one could tell me when a good time to come sign a contract was, so again i was to be called back.

i waited another five days and called myself. THIS time i found out the real reason for the run around. the pavillion was actually not built yet and they had no facilities to hold a wedding ceremony or reception. they anticipated it being built in July but werent sure. they were going to call me and let me know when it was decided if and when the pavillion would be built. yea im still waiting on that call.

its been a year and like i said, this was when their facility had just moved. hopefully they have all the kinks worked out now and if you have not had an issue with communication to date, im sure you wont have the same issues that i did at all. i just felt that they were unreliable and not forthcoming with information and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. we loved going there and purchased from them frequently. im sad to say that i havent been back since this ordeal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards