Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

**Habs & Adamar or other horse people**

Since I see you both posting right now, I thought I'd ask you if you have any suggestions.
My QH has really bad arthritis in his knees.  He's on glucosamine supplements and occassionally Butte which seems to help a little bit.
He's had Cortisone shots which didn't seem to make any difference.

Any tips? Have you heard of anything else that has worked?  He was my show horse for years and I'm committed to doing anything I can for him, but if he's in pain much longer, I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a really tough decision.

Thanks for any help!

Re: **Habs & Adamar or other horse people**

• Options
    I am also a horse person (jumpers). In the jumper world lots of horses have hock problems. Once joint supplements, bute, and Adequan/Legend injections no longer help, usually we go on to cortisone injections or other corticosteroids. Once those no longer help, retirement is the next option. If the horse is not even comfortable enough to just live out in a field happily for the rest of his days, I would suggest thinking long and hard about quality of life. Horses don't understand death and euthanizing is sometimes the kindest option rather than asking them to keep pushing on in pain every day. Good luck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_habs-adamar-or-other-horse-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:24607e51-39ab-4f6b-9a16-0c99c721875ePost:a6fff78b-53f2-4fe5-8a0b-490a7508d25f">Re: **Habs & Adamar or other horse people**</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am also a horse person (jumpers). In the jumper world lots of horses have hock problems. Once joint supplements, bute, and Adequan/Legend injections no longer help, usually we go on to cortisone injections or other corticosteroids. Once those no longer help, retirement is the next option. If the horse is not even comfortable enough to just live out in a field happily for the rest of his days, I would suggest thinking long and hard about quality of life. <strong>Horses don't understand death and euthanizing is sometimes the kindest option rather than asking them to keep pushing on in pain every day.</strong> Good luck.
    Posted by Frivian[/QUOTE]

Yup. I understand that. Still weighing my options with supplements at this point.  He's a retired pasture horse now.
  • Options
    I was going to mention Adequan/Ledgends - we've done both for the mare with her hocks and they help her.

• Options
    Thanks. I'll mention those to my vet and see what she says.
  • Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Nothing helpful here, I just wanted to say I'm sorry, Barrel, and I hope you can find something to help.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Have you tried cosequin? I used to give it to the hoofstock at the zoo I worked at and it seemed to help them. It is a glucosamine/chondroidin mix. Some of the animals we did a mix of cosequin and bute. Being on bute daily for along time is hard on the organs though so I would not recommend it (saw some animals get much better but start having other issues as a result). Good luck!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks J Smile He's been my superhorse so it's been hard watching him deteriorate.

I haven't tried Cosequin.  I'll look into that too. He's only on bute when I see he's having an especially rough day or know that the shoer is coming out and he's going to have to bend his knees a lot.  Trying to spare his organs :) 

Thanks for all the ideas.  I'm researching them all now.
  • Options
    I would actually recommend against trying more joint supplements. I have used Cosequin on my own horse, and while it is one of the best oral supps out there, it still has very minimal results. The efficacy of oral supplementation is questionable at best, and if your horse is already at the point that he needs injections and bute, I don't think changing your joint supplement is going to help him very much - more likely you will just be wasting money that is better spent on Adequan or Legend. Adequan and Legend can both have very good results. I hope you can find something that helps your guy, and good luck with your decisions. hugs!
  • Options
    This may or may not work, but what about essential oils? Peppermint for pain/inflimation and lavender to calm. I get my oils through Young Living, and I swear by them, as does my friend Heather. I wish i had more suggestions, Good luck. Hugs to you and the pony!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sorry Barrel, that is really tough.

What orals do you have him on?  I find some are way better than others, but still, orals are often a bit of a crap shoot. 

I'm not sure adequan or legend will do a whole lot if HA injections right to the joint aren't doing anything.  Those are the most agressive form of treatment for arthritis out there.  I use adequan to extend the time period between injections when competing at th upper level, usually a bottle a month.  You can buy adequan through farmvet.  It's not cheap, but you'd have to do a loading dose and then a monthly maintenance to see if it was doing anything for him.

I'm not a fan of keeping a horse on bute for long, it's like aspirin and I don't like the contents of it being in my horse's system for extended periods of time. 

You could also see if something like the back on track knee bandage works to keep some of the inflammation at bay, but it's a pain.  I have the hock boots and really like them. http://www.backontrack.com/ca/products/horse/knee-brace-left-and-right/

Good luck and *hugs*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards