Getting in Shape
Options

Calling all runners!

I have just recently started running (about 3 weeks ago).  I was following the plan in the March issue of Fitness magazine "walker to runner in 6 weeks".   I have never been a runner.  My fiance is a runner and would like me to run with him as well as do some 5K runs together.  Therefore, I am attempting to become a runner.  Here is my problem:  how do you get the motivation to run?  How do you keep going when you just want to stop?  I have worked up to running 4:30 minutes at 5 mph then walking for 30 seconds to a minute at 3 mph for 30 minutes.  But I cannot seem to get past that 4:30 minutes; and some days I can barely run 1 minute at a time.  My fiance says it is my breathing but I am breathing through my mouth and it just feel like I am getting no where.  

Any advise and encouragement would be greatly appreciated as my fiance signed us up for a 5K Color Me Rad run on April 13th.  My wedding date is June 7th and I still have 15 lbds to lose.  Plus I would like to do the running as I feel I can burn more calories in less amount of time.  I was and still am doing the turbo jam dvds (incl. the weight workouts) as well as running.

Thanks, Jaime

Re: Calling all runners!

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Ditto Stage. Also, sometimes physiological issues which you may not even think about may make you ill-suited to running, and you may perceive them as you not "liking" running and there being something wrong with you. I, for example, have very low blood pressure (60/100 on a good day) and this makes me ill-suited to endurance activities because of the effort my heart has to make. I did run for about 2 years in undergrad - because it's good for you, right? - but I did not enjoy it. I could run 5k under 35 minutes but that's about it. It never got easier and during the entire run I would feel like my chest was burning, and not in a good way. It took me a while to realize that I should probably not be running, no matter how much I felt that I should.

ETA: Also, if you're trying to lose weight (those last 15 lbs can be a beyotch, btw), you don't have to run. There are a million other ways to lose weight, and if you have less than 20-30lbs to lose, the simple "calories in vs calories out" is not the holy grail. 
  • Options
    So what, according to him, does the K stand for?
  • Options
    When I am running, I try to breathe through my nose not through my mouth.  I try to maintain deep, slow breaths instead of huffing and puffing.

How do I keep going when I want to stop?  I don't let myself stop.  I try to get inside my head and tell myself that it is just one more mile or one more minute or 30 more seconds, whatever I need to do to finish my run.  And I tell myself that it doesn't matter how tired I am, I can literally do ANYTHING for 1 more minute.  In the grand scheme of my life, that is hardly anything.  You aren't going to know what your limits are unless you push yourself to find them. 

Also, I second Liatris.  Slow down.  Once you start to build some mileage the speed will come.  I've been running for almost two years.  Since I've started I've taken almost 4 minutes off of my pace.  But if I had tried to run at this pace two years ago, I wouldn't have lasted more than a minute. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Breath through your nose and slow down. I don't really enjoy running (well, I enjoy the benefits that come from it) so I feel your pain.  I'm a sprinter, not an endurance runner, so in order to keep going for long periods of time, my run is more like a jog. But that's ok - it'll get there.

If you start getting really breathless, stretch for a few seconds instead of running. It'll give you some time to catch your breath but still keep everything limber. Then start again at a slower pace until you find your zone. GL!
  • Options
    Everything kwith stated. I've never been a huge runner...I ran for soccer. Once I jacked up my knee my soccer days were over too much twisting and turning / stop and go. So I took up running in college. But never ran for long periods of times without walking in between. 3 weeks ago everything just clicked. I ran on the treadmill for 48 minutes! I suggest a program that varies the running and walking. Also get some good music!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second everything. All the advice is spot on. I would also add to just think about how good it's going to feel to cross the finish line of your first 5K. It's such a rewarding experience. I also run with my FI and it's so nice to have someone to run with. Have the two of you actually gone out and ran together yet? Don't bring music, just run and talk and enjoy each others company. 

I may be biased because I love to run. I run usually 5-6 days a week. I'd suggest only like 3, mybe 4 days if you're just starting out. 

And Stage, I will totes cheer on at your 5000K on the moon. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    When i run I use the rule of 2s. Breathe in twice, then out twice. Every now and then I take a couple deep breaths and go back to that pattern. It has worked out for me.

I hate running. I always have. Before last year, the last time I ran a mile was freshman year of high school. I will hike and backpack  miles on end but running? Eff that.. Then one day I just.. decided it was time. I can only run 5 max now. After that I get crazy bored. Pretty sure that is my ultimate limit and I'm okay with that because I just use running to "mix things up" in my routine. 

Here are a few suggestions:
    1. PLEASE ease into it. Running is high impact on your hips, knees, ankles, and arches, as well as on all the leg muscles (especially your Achilles and your IT bands) You can't just suddenly start running every single day. Even if it's just a mile, it can do damage to the legs and ultimately set you back. 

2. Because of "1.", PLEASE make sure you're adequately stretching. It's important to keep your legs, hips, and abs from tensing up and/or pulling/straining something. Stretching can also help your body adjust and ultimately help you increase your running stamina/speed. 

3. Don't just run on the treadmill. Don't just run on pavement. Consider trail running. It's the only running I enjoy doing. I will bust out a couple miles on the treadmill just because, but my longest runs are always on trails. It's better for the joints, it's harder for your core (ie, works the abs more), and for me it's just more enjoyable so I don't get as bored as quickly. Find out which way of running is best for you. It's a bit of trial and error. I also like trail running because it makes me listen to my body rather than watch the timer sloooooowwwllly tick awaaaaayyyyyy.For this reason...

4. If you are only going to tredmil run, put your towel over your screen so you can't see the time, pace, calories, etc. Just do it. It could be what's holding you back. You know what you have done before so your mind is telling itself that's all it can do now. It makes you not listen to your body and listen to your head instead. Your head gives up on you WAAAYYY sooner than your body does. 

5. Do other high intensity cardio. The first time I went out running since high school I ran 3 miles straight. No stopping. It felt awesome. I was shocked. Why was it possible? Because I had been doing 3 other forms of VERY high intensity cardio/circuit training classes, 6 days a week for the previous 2 years. My body was ready to handle a straight shot of running after so much training. I don't recommend just outright running 3 miles one day.. It was a little dumb of me, but it felt amazing. My abs were conditioned enough, my legs were conditioned enough, and my VO2 max was golden. Different cardio translate over to each other. And maybe you'll find that you're in love with other cardio over running. That's fine, too! 

• Options
    So I was a failed runner several times over before it finally "took."  A few tips in terms of motivation which may or may not be helpful
    :
    1) It sounds silly, but there are definitley days where I don't want to run, and I use silly mantra's like "You don't get to where you want by only working out/running on the days you want."  Find something that kicks you in the butt and stick with it until it wears out, then find a new saying.

2) I will also have actual conversations with myself that focus on the "after" side of things.  So how do I feel after a run vs how do I feel when I bail out on a run. 

3) If that fails, I'll try to convince myself to just do 5 minutes (or whatever small increment you want).  Chances are once I start I keep going.

4) If you absolutely can't do it, that's ok, give yourself a break.  It sounds like you may need a bit more cross training or rest days.  And build in rewards for when you follow through!  You deserve it.  

5) If you're a reader, I highly recommend the book "Born to Run."  It helped me change my running style and mentality and I know it's worked for quite a few others.  It'll give good advice like focusing on running "easy" and other stuff that'll make more sense if you read it.  Plus it's a completely fascinating read!
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I don't know what program you followed or anything, but it seems like you're doing too much too fast.

I was never a runner - I was swimmer.  I went to the gym a few years ago and said "eh, I'll just run two miles today."  It was terrible, I wanted to stop, etc...  Seriously, I couldn't understand why people liked running.

Then, not long after that, I read about the Couch to 5K program where it flat out told me "If you were never a runner, no, you can't go out and run two miles while enjoying it.  You haven't trained your body to do it.  It seems like a short distance, but most people have to work up that."  Okay, so I started it.

Their program was GREAT.  It starts with 1 min running/3 min walking intervals (or something equally paced).  It wasn't until week 7 or so that they had you run 20 minutes straight.  If you are running at the correct pace and have the correct running base before that, it should be do-able without a wanting to die mentality.  It takes another two weeks or so to work up to a full 30 minutes.  Take the time to really prepare your body for three miles - it's worth it.

I would back up and start the C25K.  Do it as they say and work up at the speed they recommend.  Don't cut and don't think you can do it better.  And also run outside where you can regulate your own pace.  I hate the treadmill telling me how fast to go.  I prefer to pick my speed and change it up as I go.

I'm currently doing the Bridge to the 10K that they offer and I've worked up to over 4 miles.  That's rather huge for me!  I'm doing four ten minute intervals right now and my mile pace drops each week - it's so encouraging.

All that said - if you aren't a runner, then you aren't a runner.  Some people don't enjoy it.  I have come to absolutely love it.  But, even if you can run the distances, if there's no enjoyment in it, then there's no point.
  • Options

Good for you for wanting to try!  Running is one of those classic Hate It/Love It relationships.  7 years ago I couldn't run to catch the bus and decided to run a marathon for charity (to help me get over the 9/11-related death of my dad).  I really didn't think I could do it, but the encouragement and coaching from others helped tremendously.  8 marathons later, I can't live without it, and even so, sometimes it is an absolute fight to get out the door.  Having inspiration (raising money for a charity, weight loss goals, knowing you'll feel great when you're done, etc.) always helps to keep you going. 

The advice here is stellar.  All I can add is that the walk/run program is a good one; I "wogged" (walk/jogged) my first two marathons.  PPs are right... the speed will come later.  Here is a great book to read:  The Courage to Start by John Bingham.  I've seen him speak live and he is truly inspirational for anyone who is new to running and walking longer distances.  Here is his website:

http://www.waddle-on.com/

Congratulations on having the courage to start!! 

• Options
    WOW, I greatly appreciate all of the responses.  It sounds like I may need to slow down and possible try running outside.  I am taking all of this advice and using it.  I hope it helps me.  Couch to 5k is basically what I am doing that was called something else in the Fitness magazine program I started doing.  I also do turbojam on my off running days.

I am going to try and stay positive about it and see if I can continue.  I do want to enjoy running, I am just not there yet.  

Thanks for all the inspiration and needed tips!  
  • Options
    Yeah, it was not a good time and I needed something. I ran 5 marathons with Team in Training, three as a Mentor and Coach. Now I do it because I love it (and my friends need a break from me asking for donations). I truly believe anyone can exercise in the way that is right for them (pending injury and circumstance of course). The human body is simply amazing!
  • Options
    Just wanted to post because I had a great run this morning!  I felt great, by breathing was right on target.  No burning of the legs or chest.  I did a run 5 minutes/1 minute walk.  I felt like I could run longer but I stopped at the 5 minutes (when I was paying attention to the clock--which I tried not to do too often).  I want to thank everyone again for their great advice.  My son helped me get a great list of music together on his ipod and to definitely made running easier.  I also focused on the music and NOT the clock!  It felt really great to run this morning and I hope it continues to get easier for me...especially since I am 3 weeks from my first 5k.  Although after reading everyone's comments, I know if I need to slow down or even walk for a short time during the 5k that it is okay and normal.  :)  Thanks again!
  • Options
    For me, running outside is COMPLETELY different than running on a treadmill. I cannot stand being on a treadmill for more than like 20 minutes, but once I'm outside, it's a whole new world. If you haven't already, give it a try! I think letting your body naturally adjust to the speed it wants to go is a big help, plus it's just plain more interesting. You have to use 'real world' muscles and not just gym muscles.

Incidentally, one of my friends IS running a 5000K right now! He's running across the country (Seattle to Miami) to support cystic fibrosis - and it comes out to over 5000 kilometers. And he's almost done! Can you even imagine? Kid runs almost a marathon a day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards