Maryland-Baltimore

Bridesmaids Dress disaster

My bridesmaids and I went to get them measured in October at Betsy Robinson's Bridal.  Found the dress, ordered it.  They came in April and every single dress is not even CLOSE to fitting the girls.  Three had them altered and it cost $100-120 a piece, some girls even lost the pockets because so much fabric had to be taken out.  In talking with the bridal shop, they assured me that it was normal to have them oversized and that alterations shouldn't cost more than $30 per girl.  These dresses were $300 a piece before altering, pricey.  I don't buy this excuse from the shop at all.  Anyone else had a similar experience??  They really don't seem to care or want to help me when I speak with them.  I even spoke to the owner.  So upset about this...
Marilyn

Re: Bridesmaids Dress disaster

• iamstephiamsteph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you sure that the dresses didn't get mixed up? Did anyone try on one of their dresses at the store after they came in so that the store could see how big they were? 

Also, I'm not sure who quoted you $30 for alterations, but that seems low (to me, at least). A $300 dress is probably very detailed, and detailed dresses cost more to alter.  
    Sorry you are having a stressful day!
    Married December 18th, 2010 :)
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds really odd.  I bought my gown and my BMs have ordered their dresses all from Betsy Robinson's and we haven't had any issues.  Did your sales lady call you or the girls and confirm the size before the dresses were ordered?  I received a phone call after each deposit/measurements arrived at the store to let me know they had them and what size was being ordered for each BM so I/we could question if they were ordering a size 10 for a size 2 girl.  Are you getting alterations done at galindas? (i think that's the name--the shop next door)
    Anniversary
  • OCMarilynOCMarilyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't remember them calling me to confirm sizes, however, they have reviewed them with me now and all the sizes sound about right.  They did admit, however, that the girls naturally had larger sizes around the hips and that they ordered the dresses according to the waist measurements.  The gowns are not very detailed at all...Style #6464 from Watters.com.  The girls have all gotten alterations at different places because they are from out of town.  ALterations have ranged from $80 to $120.  The person who told me $30 alterations was their floor manager.  In checking with reviews of the bridal shop, I found 2 with the same issue.  To me, though, it sounds like this is a problem with the manufacturer and their sizing.  I'm just upset because the shop doesn't seem like they want to help me out.  I have one more girl who has to pick up her dress, and Ms. Robinson wanted to be there when she came in, so we'll see what happens.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

As one of the PP said did the dresses get mixed up?  Meaning did the girls not get the correct dress for them but maybe another girls dress?  I have heard about this happening before that bridesmaids try on dresses and they don't fit but then realize that they don't have the correct dress (mislabled) and they switch them around the group until they find the right one.

Alterations are expected for any dress.  It could be as little as the hem but as much as taking in the bodice and adjusting straps, etc.  Since your girls are getting them altered at different places that is why the prices are so different because there are not consistent alteration prices.  The floor manager was probably just telling you  what their shop charges for alterations.

It sucks that this happened but since some of the girls have already taken their dresses and had them altered there really isn't much for the store to do.  When they went to try them on in the shop is when you should have spoken up about the poor fit because the store would have been able to (hopefully) rectify the problem.

• OCMarilynOCMarilyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All dresses were huge on all 5 girls, so I don't think it was a mix up within the group.  When the first girl reported it was huge, I called the shop.  The shop does not offer alterations in house, it's all done through private tailors.  The manager wasn't very helpful and it didn't seem like they were willing to rectify the situation.  She just told me that that happens.  I understand that alterations on the dresses were a normal thing, but not to the point that all the dresses have had to be tailored.  One girl had 12 inches taken out from the waist.  That's crazy.  It's too late to do anything now, but I was very disappointed in the service I received and the lack of concern once I reported the situation.
  • weezie825weezie825 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I had a similar problem to this at a different store.   I was wearing the sample dress (which zipped fine) and the lady measured me.  Per the company's sizing chart in the catalog my hips needed a size 16 dress, so that is what they wanted me to order.  I threw a fit and told them no way I was ordering the dress in a size 12 since that is what the sample I was wearing it.

The problem is that the sizing charts for each designer are the same no matter the cut of the dress.  I didn't need a 16 in a ball gown because it wasn't fitted in that area.  I only needed a 12 becaus that is what fit by chest the best.  Now it would have been a TOTAL different story if the dress was form fitting.  I would have needed every inch of the 16 or maybe even an 18.

I am sorry this happened to your girls, but it isn't really the fault of the store. I am sure that they showed the measurements to your girls and they agreed to the sizes ordered based on the sizing chart.  Once the dress is cut, there isn't much they can do because they are custom orders.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards