Chit Chat
Options

Need advice

Hi everyone,
FI and I are getting married in 2 months.  We're getting married in a touristy town that has horse drawn carriages that will bring you around town.  Since we picked our venue we talked about taking a ride on our wedding day between the ceremony and the reception, while our guests are at cocktail hour.  I was looking forward to the time alone.  After talking to my wedding planner, she doesn't think we'll have time to do this and pictures.  I could move my reception back about 30 minutes and just elongate the cocktail hour.  At this point FI doesn't care either way, although he seemed pretty excited about it in the beginning
What do you think, skip the carriage ride, or change the reception?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need advice

• Options
    I think your day is going to be crazy busy as it is. I might skip the carriage ride. Why dont you save it for your anniversery?? That could be a fun romantic way to celebrate :)
  • Options
    Our cocktail hour is an hour and a half long so that we have some extra time. I recommend it :) It can always be a short ride, right? Also, cute pictures will be a result. I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you're going to want photos with family and WP during that cocktail hour, 90 minutes is still going to be rushing it.

What if you did a "first look" and did some private photos together on the carriage before the ceremony?  It could be really sweet.
  • Options
    I would save the carriage ride for another time. Long cocktail hours are tedious.

Try  to take some pictures beforehand even if it is you and your family, BM and him and his family and GMs. It will cut down on picture time afterwards and if you don't want a first look this is a good option.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Could you do it after the reception as your getaway instead?
  • Options
    I think the carriage ride would be a nice treat for your anniversary.  A long cocktail hour gets boring pretty quickly.  Also, in my control enthusiast mind, it's one more thing a wrench can get thrown into to muck up the whole day.  Save it for a day you can enjoy without having to worry about a time table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_need-advice-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:37dac6e0-53b9-4657-bf8a-f0e7bd209964Post:5ca60e40-f722-4ab0-a9b5-be7e5c8749f8">Re: Need advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you do it after the reception as your getaway instead?
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

This!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would recommend spending a few minutes alone with your husband after the ceremony, but I think the carriage ride sounds too long and possibly problematic.

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_need-advice-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:37dac6e0-53b9-4657-bf8a-f0e7bd209964Post:eb534c7c-3052-421f-b108-45daa398b084">Need advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]After talking to my wedding planner, she doesn't think we'll have time to do this and pictures.
    Posted by vantilka[/QUOTE]
    You're paying her because you trust her to give good advice right?  She's giving you good advice.<div>
    </div><div>The getaway and anniversary ideas are good.  Or, are you staying the night in the town?  Maybe do it the next morning?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_need-advice-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:37dac6e0-53b9-4657-bf8a-f0e7bd209964Post:9a98dfc2-3b2b-43ec-9fe6-9eae21232eb0">Re: Need advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would save the carriage ride for another time. <strong>Long cocktail hours are tedious.</strong> Try  to take some pictures beforehand even if it is you and your family, BM and him and his family and GMs. It will cut down on picture time afterwards and if you don't want a first look this is a good option.
    Posted by sparent2010[/QUOTE]

That's a nice way of saying please don't have a super long cocktail hour. Guests are there to see YOU.
  • Options

Thanks for your opinions.  I was thinking for sure I'd have a million people telling me that taking some alone time with new husband is the best bet. But I guess that's what the honeymoon is for. 
    I can't do it as a get away because our reception is going until 1am and the carriages stop at 9:30 or 10.  I think it's silly to stage a get away then come back to the party, just not us. 

Anyway, I guess we'll be foregoing the carriage ride.
    Thanks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say do what you want! It's your day you only do this once!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards