Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Kegs at a wedding

NOT a backyard party keg. But the bar at the reception site offers purchasing a kef instead of just per bottle which is a HUGE savings. My question is how many should I buy? it's probably going to be about 90-100 people. I'd say about 1/4 of them will drink beer. The reception is 4 hours long including dinner and activities. We will also have a liquor, wine and bottle beer options. Would one be enough or should I get 2?

Re: Kegs at a wedding

• Options
    If your bar is an open bar, there shouldn't be any reason to need more than one keg, IMO.

The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Ask your venue what they recommend. I wish I could remember what our venue said for our kegs. But I know our venue also puts kegs on reserve, so that way they have them if we need them, but we don't have to pay for them if we don't use them. Maybe ask if they have something like this?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I voted 2 because that's what we are doing. Our venue allows us to have one on reserve though and if it gets to be a certain time and we say no don't tap it they won't and we can return it. However, with everything else you are having I would say that 1 would probably be more than enough. From the research I did online most kegs can get 250 8oz pours from them.
  • Options
    I went to my FI's brother's wedding last year(and they drink a lot of beer so this may not be for you) but they went through 2 kegs in like 3 hours. The reception lasted about 8 hours and we went through 4 kegs. I would say 2 or 3 would be a good number for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had about 90 adults and we finished about 2/3 of 2 different kegs (two different types of beer).  But we only had hosted beer and wine.  Will you venue allow you to have two, but only pay for 1 if you only tap one?  That's what we did--we had three kegs but we only had to pay for what we tapped.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    If only 1/4 of them drink beer and you're serving wine and liquor as well, 1 keg should be plenty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_kegs-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:91dd494e-2ce3-4426-88b8-c2e571e56870Post:79330a54-293b-4d5f-8aab-13cdf40b594c">Re: Kegs at a wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think there are about 150 cups of beer per keg.  I'd get one since you are also having wine/liquor and bottled beer.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

This. And FYI, you're not alone. We're using kegs too since it's a big money saver
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_kegs-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:91dd494e-2ce3-4426-88b8-c2e571e56870Post:46bb7d10-736f-4539-aa60-3dde13b46682">Re: Kegs at a wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted 2 because that's what we are doing. Our venue allows us to have one on reserve though and if it gets to be a certain time and we say no don't tap it they won't and we can return it. However, with everything else you are having I would say that 1 would probably be more than enough. From the research I did online most kegs can get 250 8oz pours from them.
    Posted by brianabrad[/QUOTE]

This... get 8oz cups.. should be good to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment

I voted for one. If you need more beer, you should be able to move to bottles? If not, they can pick something else from the bar, since you have other options.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards