Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father/Daughter Dance

My step-dad has been in my life since I was 3 years old.  Both him and and my dad are walking me down the aisle.  Since my step-dad and I can talk about anything I asked him if he would mind not having the official father/daugheter dance so my bio dad could have a special moment with me to himself.  His feelings got really hurt and he said you should have us share the dance or have no dance at all.  Is there a non-awkward way to switch in the middle of the dance?  My other thought would be just to have a mother/daugheter dance (mom is my best friend) but wasn't sure if that would be weird since both my dads are there.  From what I understand most people have a mother/daughter dance when the dad isn't in the picture, deceased, etc.  Thats what my step-sister did since her dad wasn't in the picture.  All ideas are welcome and thanks in advance!

Re: Father/Daughter Dance

• Options
    I would look at doing two separate dances - fade one song out, switch partners and fade in second song. You can work with both your Dad and StepDad to pick individual, important songs, and then work with your DJ on editing the songs so your dances don't drag on too long.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree with PP. I don't think it'd be weird or awkward to switch songs & go from dancing with your bio dad to with your stepdad. I think it'd mean a lot to each of them if you did it this way. If you aren't comfortable doing this however, I think it'd be okay to dance with your mom instead. It's ultimately up to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing 2 separate dances. I'm letting them pick out their own songs, within reason. Bio-dad goes first and step-dad after.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. Most people would understand watching two father/daughter dances if you are so close with your step dad as well. I get that you want your bio dad to have the special moment, try talking to him. He's sharing walking you down the aisle, and if he has no problem with that he may understand the second father/daughter dance. :)
  • Options
    I'm not so sure, as a guest, how I would like to sit through a first dance, m/s dance, 2 f/d dances, cake cutting, and the tosses...

If you do decide on two dances with two different songs I would talk to the DJ about 'editing' them so they are not very long (maybe 2 minutes each).
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards