Registry and Gift Forum

I fear being tacky but.....

I'm planning on having a 2-3 places to register so people have a wide array of options in thier price ranges but......

I'm thinking of creating a bank registery for those guest that like to give money in leiu of a present also. My bank has been giving me ideas on how to set it up but I haven't signed anything yet.

Is it really tacky to have it as an option for guest? I'm thinking of having links to ALL the registeries on my wedding website so guest can pick and choose.

Another question I have would be this: Since we have two kids, is it ok to add stuff to our registeries for them? Maybe it's because we have sacrificed our wants for thier needs, I just don't feel right leaving them out. After all, it's a big event for them as well as for us.

Re: I fear being tacky but.....

• Yes, it is very tacky.  People know that cash is welcome, and they don't need a "registry" in order to give it to you.

Things for your children are not appropriate on a wedding registry.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Please don't do this.  Just do a regular registry...if guests want to give you cash, they will.
  • Registering for cash is VERY tacky.  People will give it to you anyway but asking for it looks really bad and you can be sure people will gossip about it.

I think putting things on your registry for your kids is okay.  The point of having a registry is to get things you want to start your life as a family.  Your kids are a part of that family.  Just make sure there are enough non-kid options for people who would rather give gifts for the two of you.  I also would suggest not registering at a kids store... ie. Don't register at Toys-R-Us.  If you're registering at Bed Bath and Beyond and see something cute in the kid section... I think that's fine.  I would def. consider buying a cute option for the kids if it was on a registry. 
  • thanks ladies!  Cute little Card box it is!

Yeah I'm thinking of just putting a few items for the kids from each registery. After all, we are having a complete kid friendly wedding. We are all about family and don't want to exclude anyone.
  • Registering for cash is extremely tacky.  Everyone knows that money is always welcome, and many people give cash rather than boxed gifts at weddings anyhow.

I woudln't register for items for your children unless they are household items for their bedrooms or things that will be used as a family.  So maybe new sheets, a lamp, nightstand, or family board games, but not toys.
  • When we have friends get married, who have children, we give them a 1 year, family membership to our zoo.  It is something they can use all year as a family.
  • We have 3 kids and have put some fun kids dishes (sundae dishes, picnic dishes, etc...), bedding and bath stuff on our registry...FI's cousin got married last weekend and their daughter's stuff was the first thing bought off the registry.
    Glad you opted for the card box :)
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • Registering for cash is tacky, and the registry is not for your children, it is for you and your FI. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fear-being-tacky-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5f656d42-74b9-4f9f-aa74-79f7c0c2db5cPost:5c8f81a7-fc43-4cc9-b759-5c43dbbc307e">Re: I fear being tacky but.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Registering for cash is tacky, and the registry is not for your children, it is for you and your FI. 
    Posted by Galaxy8227[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  The kids get stuff on their birthdays, not on their parents' wedding day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fear-being-tacky-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5f656d42-74b9-4f9f-aa74-79f7c0c2db5cPost:6532d145-b7d2-4e70-8283-cf3b36b103f4">Re: I fear being tacky but.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I fear being tacky but..... : This exactly.  The kids get stuff on their birthdays, not on their parents' wedding day.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

It's funny you say this because I had a friend growing up who is Jehovah's Witness, and since they didn't celebrate any holidays or birthdays, the day that they were able to celebrate and get gifts was their parents' anniversary. It was always like Christmas for them. But none of the kids were born before the parents were married.
  • An absolute no on the bank account registry!

And I also have to vote no on registry items for children unless it is things like family board games like Monopoly etc. If you want things for your children, use some of the money you get for the wedding to buy them the things you want.

Crosswalk
  • I would be shocked to see children items or toys on a wedding registry. Also, I wouldn't register at alot of places, it's not proper etiquette to be 'asking for gifts' ....the bank account registry does sound tacky.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fear-being-tacky-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5f656d42-74b9-4f9f-aa74-79f7c0c2db5cPost:1f786b30-6f6d-4fa2-9251-a5cc1b50b407">Re: I fear being tacky but.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I fear being tacky but..... : It's funny you say this because I had a friend growing up who is Jehovah's Witness, and since they didn't celebrate any holidays or birthdays, the day that they were able to celebrate and get gifts was their parents' anniversary. It was always like Christmas for them. But none of the kids were born before the parents were married.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Oh.. well yes, that being the exception haha
  • yeah I think it is not good manners. peoel will just give you cash, check or money along with the gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards