Getting in Shape
Options

Sidelined

Hi all! I'm fairly new to TK and to the boards. I am getting married May 4, 2013 and have some major fitness goals, however, am sidelined. I broke my ankle March of 2011, was in a cast 8 weeks, walking boot for 4 more, had surgery, another surgery, 8 months of PT, and then thought I was better. WRONG!!! Before my injury I was very active. I weighted in at 125lbs. I ran 5 miles a day like it was my job, we were hiking to new places every weekend and spent all of our free time on our boat. I started to work out in January after getting engaged in November and feeling great health wise. I soon found out that my ankle was anything but better. I had ANOTHER surgery, actually 2 this time, one to take some bone out of my knee to fix my ankle and the other to actually fix my ankle (a bone graft). I am now in a cast for 8 more weeks with slow return to activity thereafter. (I am only 1 week in....) I am up to 165lbs, mainly because I never stopped eating the way I did when we were so active.

How can I start to work on getting back down to my goal weight of 125 if I can't do the type of exercise that I am so accustom to. No weight barring on my leg for another at least 8 weeks. Suggestions????

Re: Sidelined

• Options
    Can you do floor exercises without hurting your foot?  If so, I'd vote for seated weights (just watch your posture) and some light yoga that doesn't require your foot.

Feel better!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That's really tough, would a stationary bike be too much for your foot? You'd be able to go at whatever pace you felt comfortable and it shouldn't put pressure on your foot.
  • Options
    Can you swim? Have you tried Pilates many of those exercises are floor based. I would also check with your physical therapist they may have some additional ideas.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions!! I am going to sign up for My Fitness Pal, it looks like a good site. My PT said no bike but seated weights would be good for now. I am also allowed to do crutches and will be able to swim starting in 14 days. Thanks for the support!
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from! I stretched the ligaments in my ankle two months ago and I am still not able to be fully active. I would agree with checking with your PT and seeing what they suggest. Swimming may be possible for you soon. When you are able to walk again set little walking goals for yourself. I recently started walking on the treadmill again and every day I make myself walk a little more than I did the day before. It will probably irritate your ankle for a long time, it takes that type of injury foreverrrr to heal. Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards