Registry and Gift Forum

Shower gift and cash later?

This might be a silly question, but I need some clarification. I am invited to my FH cousin's bridal shower. I will obviously buy a gift from her registry and bring it to the shower. My FH thinks we should still give them an envelope with cash at the actual wedding, in addition to the shower gift. Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shower gift and cash later?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-gift-and-cash-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ac8f499c-5a43-4a1b-9fd8-3374102cb932Post:640f75b5-9650-42cd-9a87-dc93098f0025">Shower gift and cash later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This might be a silly question, but I need some clarification. I am invited to my FH cousin's bridal shower. I will obviously buy a gift from her registry and bring it to the shower. My FH thinks we should still give them an envelope with cash at the actual wedding, in addition to the shower gift. Thoughts?
    Posted by mandm111[/QUOTE]

This is a regional and/or cultural thing.  In some places, people give a boxed gift for the wedding.  In others, they give cash for the wedding.  Both are acceptable but as a former bride, I can tell you that the money for the wedding gift was most appreciated.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-gift-and-cash-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ac8f499c-5a43-4a1b-9fd8-3374102cb932Post:640f75b5-9650-42cd-9a87-dc93098f0025">Shower gift and cash later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This might be a silly question, but I need some clarification. I am invited to my FH cousin's bridal shower. I will obviously buy a gift from her registry and bring it to the shower. My FH thinks we should still give them an envelope with cash at the actual wedding, in addition to the shower gift. Thoughts?
    Posted by mandm111[/QUOTE]

This is the norm in my area.  You bring a gift to the shower and cash to the wedding.  We treat showers and weddings as 2 seperate events so therefore it's like giving 2 gifts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    That's what I always do.
    Lizzie
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-gift-and-cash-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ac8f499c-5a43-4a1b-9fd8-3374102cb932Post:782b32b6-6b91-4fbf-893e-f256562bece7">Re: Shower gift and cash later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Shower gift and cash later? : This is the norm in my area.  You bring a gift to the shower and cash to the wedding.  We treat showers and weddings as 2 seperate events so therefore it's like giving 2 gifts.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what we do in my area as well.</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    In my area we do boxed gifts for both events.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-gift-and-cash-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ac8f499c-5a43-4a1b-9fd8-3374102cb932Post:782b32b6-6b91-4fbf-893e-f256562bece7">Re: Shower gift and cash later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Shower gift and cash later? : This is the norm in my area.  You bring a gift to the shower and cash to the wedding.  We treat showers and weddings as 2 seperate events so therefore it's like giving 2 gifts.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Same here!
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-gift-and-cash-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ac8f499c-5a43-4a1b-9fd8-3374102cb932Post:a511020b-db22-4222-acb5-11c357324520">Re: Shower gift and cash later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my area we do boxed gifts for both events.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

<div>We do boxed gifts for both.  I spend a quarter to half on the shower gift as I do the wedding, depending on how close we are, how much I've budgeted, etc. (if I'm planning on spending $100 on the wedding gift, I'll spend $25-50 on a shower gift).  As PP said, they're two separate events, so I give two separate gifts.  If you decide not to give a gift at the wedding, I would at least give a card conveying warm wishes.</div>
  • Two events = two gifts, as long as you can afford it.

Boxed gift for shower and either boxed or cash for wedding.
  • Thank you everyone! We will be doing two gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yea, I think it's totally personal preference, but I'd definitely do two separate gifts, if you can afford it. 

Where I'm originally from, and where our wedding is (Indiana), two boxed gifts seem to be the norm. Out here in the NE, it seems cash is more popular for weddings/receptions. So apparently, it's regional as well. I'd also never heard of a Jack and Jill shower until I moved out here two years ago!
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards