Chit Chat
Options

XP: Things never to say to a bride...

Here are two gems I've heard;

While eating a gyro for lunch, the older male doctor I work with says; "You better not keep eating like that or you won't fit into your wedding dress."

My dad; "I have a pool going on what type of natural disaster will happen during your wedding because, you know, there was a blizzard when your mom and me got married and a hurricane when your sister got married."

What have you heard?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...

• Options
    Linger, agreed. He is the only male in the office and he is totally clueless. He says shite like that all the time and when he gets blank open-mouthed stares from  everyone, he says something like, "What? I was kidding. She knows I was kidding."
  • Options
    I have this habit of twisting a small piece of my bangs closest to my part and my mom would ALWAYS say "You better stop that or you'll be bald like Uncle R by your wedding!". Every.Single.Time

Weight comments were interesting leading up to the wedding because I've always gotten comments like "You need to eat something" or "Are you anorexic?" due to my size. For the record, I am not nor have I ever been anorexic. I just have a small frame. Leading up to the wedding however, whenever I'd eat, people would tell me I wasn't going to fit in my dress. Linger is right though, weight comments are never acceptable.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:669aeba6-79a2-494a-974f-316c5431b113">Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to XP: Things never to say to a bride... : Bride or not, commenting on someone's eating habits is rude.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No joke. My grams's 90th birthday party was a few weeks ago, so my bizarro uncle with control issues was in town. I was FIVE MINUTES late to lunch, and as I sat down, before I even touched the menu, he stopped a waitress to order. How friggin' rude. I'd never eaten there before, so I just got a coffee and planned to grab something at Subway later. The man just annoys the sh!t out of me.</div><div>
    </div><div>After lunch, he was yakking about his visiting his new long-distance girlfriend whom he met over the internet, and how he was going to have to go on the <u>"Pippa crash diet plan."</u> I just about lost it.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:a92d838f-35c2-4d22-b843-e3a68b4d87f8">XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here are two gems I've heard; While eating a gyro for lunch, the older male doctor I work with says; <strong>"You better not keep eating like that or you won't fit into your wedding dress."</strong> My dad; "I have a pool going on what type of natural disaster will happen during your wedding because, you know, there was a blizzard when your mom and me got married and a hurricane when your sister got married." What have you heard?
    Posted by pillsburyaj[/QUOTE]

This girl that I worked with at a catering event said something like this to me...I literally wanted to cry and smack her at the same time! How can people actually think these things are ok to say to anyone?!
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    When I had to get my dress altered, a girl I know said in front of a lot people at happy hour "guess you should have given up beer pre-wedding, huh? Packed some on?" Um no, I have scoliosis and no matter what dress I got, it would have to be altered because of my crazy back. But thanks, beeyatch.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:a92d838f-35c2-4d22-b843-e3a68b4d87f8">XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here are two gems I've heard; While eating a gyro for lunch, the older male doctor I work with says; "You better not keep eating like that or you won't fit into your wedding dress." <strong>My dad; "I have a pool going on what type of natural disaster will happen during your wedding because, you know, there was a blizzard when your mom and me got married and a hurricane when your sister got married."</strong> What have you heard?

How do you even respond to this? lol
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:1dd89943-f931-4378-be53-985b8b5afd05">Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride... : I would have probably said "it's easy! You just have a shake for breakfast, another for lunch, and an asshole who won't give you time to look at the menu for dinner!" I'm starting to maybe see why I don't have to deal with people saying this kind of crap to me...
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    Ordinarily I do get snippy with him in spite of my mother's protestations, and I had already b!tched at him during the meal to lay off my grandmother about putting salt on her food. For the love of all that is holy, the woman is 90, let her enjoy her soup. A little salt at this point will not hasten her imminent death, but badgering her will ensure she doesn't enjoy what's left of her life. But when he made his crash diet comment, my mom was already crying over the fact that her brothers were leaving and it was probably the last time they'd ever see her. I couldn't bring myself to add drama.</div>
  • Options
    At the rehearsal my dad said, "Oh, boy.  I cannot wait to hear you promise to obey DH"  I honestly think I'm the only one who knew he was joking.  I've always been the hyper-independent girl mostly because I was raised that way.

DH didn't hear that but his sister did.  The Reverand gave my dad a short lecture.  My mom yelled at him.  My BFF nervously laughed.  My MOH/SIL and my brother/Best Man rolled their eyes.  My other SIL was shocked and her husband/my brother asked "WTF are you talking about?  When did we step into a time machine and go back to pre-civilization?"
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I plan on wearing a pink dress and not wearing a veil.  I am so sick and tired of hearing "But you won't look bridal".  WTH?!  I'm the bride- I could wear a burlap sack and still look bridal.  Anyway, I can't wait to wear my dress on my wedding day, and then wear it again and again for special occasions.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:f8bf4158-addf-4566-86f3-7cbd1215e6c5">Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would have said "My money is on earthquake, dad."  to the natural disaster comment.  Have some fun and play along.  Not everything has to be serious. I agree the weight comments are rude and unnecessary, but <strong>I don't think the natural disaster comment was really that big of a deal.</strong>
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh, I don't think it was a big deal at all. I know he was only joking, but of course I started to worry about it. Just my nature. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:7d05a8dd-2962-46bb-ba0f-6e9fdc0ea385">Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I plan on wearing a pink dress and not wearing a veil.  I am so sick and tired of hearing " But you won't look bridal ".  WTH?!  I'm the bride- I could wear a burlap sack and still look bridal.  Anyway, I can't wait to wear my dress on my wedding day, and then wear it again and again for special occasions.
    Posted by RachelBFMD[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This! My dress is very non-traditional and I am also going sans-veil. The whole ballgown cathedral veil thing is just NMS.</div>
  • Options
    this is on topic.. but, very specific to my circumstance.  But, we are a queer couple (for those who don't know me), and I have made myself crazy with dress regret over the past 4 months.  I have heard dozens of times from various people, some version of:

" I don't know why you are freaking out about the dress.  it's not like this is a real wedding anyway".
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:1e7d3082-7d1d-4187-add2-652cbaba92fb">Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride... : Ugh. I hope you've been punching them.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Well.. I don't want to go to jail...  I'm really afraid of becoming someone's prison b*tch.   But, normally, I just say something like "fluck you"  and walk away.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-things-never-to-say-to-a-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a3d132fb-5cc6-455c-bec5-8656d0e57f11Post:cb1ad3f1-5327-4f89-bdb5-38a0ff6a8681">Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Things never to say to a bride... : Call me next time.  I will junkpunch them for you and make someone else MY prison b!tch instead.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

HAHA!  Love this !!!     I just know if I ever had to go to prison... I'd have to walk up to the baddest butch in there and say "heyyyy Daddy!"     I may be a bigolhomo, but I am not trying to break a nail.  I need prison protection!
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Here are two gems I've heard; While eating a gyro for lunch, the older male doctor I work with says; "You better not keep eating like that or you won't fit into your wedding dress." My dad; "I have a pool going on what type of natural disaster will happen during your wedding because, you know, there was a blizzard when your mom and me got married and a hurricane when your sister got married." What have you heard?

From FMIL "Are you going to loose weight?" or "WE need to loose weight."
    And this doosey from our friends, "We're just concerned that so many of our friends have had marraiges that end in divorce and we don't want to see that happen again"

I haven't developed a game plan to deal with that last one but they are completely wrong, off base, and don't have a clue. Completely talking our of their butts.
  • Options
    Oh I have been hearing that I am "FAT" lately from my fiance's mom and his grandma! I am 126 and should be 115....mind my future mother in law is 150 and should be 115........SO yeah I am emotional daily and yes I am trying to loose some weight. Cry
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards