North Carolina

ONBB

What are/were yours? Or alternately, did you have these?

Old:
New:
Borrowed:
Blue:
Sixpence?
Other tradition?

Re: ONBB

• edited December 2011
    I'm working on my ONBB now.

I got a dress label that says Mrs. Holly Fraser and our wedding date and I'm going to have Olga put that in my dress for my blue.

I'm just going to assume new is my wedding gown.

I'm going to attach something of my grandmother's to my bouquet because we were so close, and I want some part of her with me at my wedding since she's no longer with us. That will be my old.

Idk what to use for my borrowed.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Old: Grandmother's pearl bracelet
    New: Dress, earrings
    Borrowed: Same as old
    Blue: Undies :)
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dumb question. What is ONBB? I feel like this is something I should know.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_onbb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:d25e7ccc-c9f7-4a8b-b706-cddc77f4c046Post:0df5a227-d965-4ee6-abe8-45f9c909cb01">Re: ONBB</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dumb question. What is ONBB? I feel like this is something I should know.
    Posted by alliegator8[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought it was self explanitory from the rest of the post.  Old.New.Borrowed.Blue.
  • edited December 2011
    Old: Handmade Handkerchiefs from Poland, that were used to wrap my bouquet and the BMs bouquets
    New: Wedding dress
    Borrowed: Pearl/Diamond earrings, my MIL let me borrowed
    Blue: A blue stone ring, DH bought me about a month before. I wore it on my left hand
    Sixpence?
    Other tradition?
  • edited December 2011
    My dress was my new. My borrowed, blue, and old was an antique rhinestone pin from my mom that I pinned onto my bouquet.
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah my mom just called the other day freaking out that she didn't know where to get a sixpence to put in my shoe. If we find one, super, if not, well, I'm going to have enough trouble walking down the "aisle" in a field wearing heels (I refuse to wear flats on my wedding day) the sixpence would just mess me up more. :-P

Old: Grandmother's hankerchief (I'm not sure if this is actually my grandmother's, it was another focus of my mother's panicked phone call but regardless, it is SOMEONE's hanky and it's old.)
    New: Dress, shoes, undies
    Borrowed: Stumped there actually. Does someone usually offer or do you actually request to borrow?
    Blue: I was thinking of getting a dress label like Holly and having the text be blue.

My mother also seems to think the groom is supposed to get a special flower (she said painted-daisy but I think that was just her idea) to put in my bouquet the day of the wedding. I've never heard of this, has anyone else?
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Old/Borrowed: Great aunt's handkerchief around my bouquet (found out the night before -- great surprise!)

Blue: Olga sewed a little bow into my dress (also a surprise)

New: Um....everything.  Dress, veil, jewelry, shoes, garter :)
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • edited December 2011
    Old: Paternal grandmother's engagement ring from the 1940's
    New:Dress, veil, shoes, etc...
    Borrowed: Rhinestone bracelet from MOH she wore at her wedding
    Blue: Dyed crinoline, garter, Olga bow
    Sixpence? Yes - taped in my left shoe, given to me by my parents.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_onbb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:d25e7ccc-c9f7-4a8b-b706-cddc77f4c046Post:c9f32129-09b0-4c56-8afa-36728172db25">Re: ONBB</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah my mom just called the other day freaking out that she didn't know where to get a sixpence to put in my shoe. If we find one, super, if not, well, I'm going to have enough trouble walking down the "aisle" in a field wearing heels (I refuse to wear flats on my wedding day) the sixpence would just mess me up more. :-P Old: Grandmother's hankerchief (I'm not sure if this is actually my grandmother's, it was another focus of my mother's panicked phone call but regardless, it is SOMEONE's hanky and it's old.) New: Dress, shoes, undies Borrowed: Stumped there actually. Does someone usually offer or do you actually request to borrow? Blue: <strong>I was thinking of getting a dress label like Holly and having the text be blue.</strong> My mother also seems to think the groom is supposed to get a special flower (she said painted-daisy but I think that was just her idea) to put in my bouquet the day of the wedding. I've never heard of this, has anyone else?
    Posted by CJ4578[/QUOTE]

I got mine from just embroidered totes, I emailed the owner because I wanted the dress label's font to be the same font that we are using throughout the wedding if possible, and she was able to do that for me. It came out great. Here's a link to the site:

<a href="http://www.justembroideredtotes.com/page/page/4969954.htm">http://www.justembroideredtotes.com/page/page/4969954.htm</a>
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_onbb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:d25e7ccc-c9f7-4a8b-b706-cddc77f4c046Post:aeb68df3-05d0-42eb-b049-a8a54f6900e4">Re: ONBB</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ONBB : Sorry, I thought it was self explanitory from the rest of the post.  Old.New.Borrowed.Blue.
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Ha, ok that was poorly worded on my part.  I understand where ONBB comes from. I guess I just don't understand what they are supposed to mean.  Like what does something blue mean?  And I have heard of the sixpence thing before but have no clue what that's about.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_onbb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:d25e7ccc-c9f7-4a8b-b706-cddc77f4c046Post:86a4c579-12a0-4354-812b-af3340597686">Re: ONBB</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ONBB : Ha, ok that was poorly worded on my part.  I understand where ONBB comes from. I guess I just don't understand what they are supposed to mean.  Like what does something blue mean?  And I have heard of the sixpence thing before but have no clue what that's about.
    Posted by alliegator8[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad that you clarified.  I was thinking ummmmm, what do you mean what does it mean?

It stems from Victorian times.  Something old to represent the bride's past and her life as a single lady.  Something new to represent the life she's about to enter into (traditionally this is something the groom or his family gives the bride).  Somthing borrowed to represent that her friends/family support her (and the marriage) and will be there for her if she needs them.  And something blue, which is a little tricker.  In some cultures blue symbolizes faithfulness, and for some people it represents purity (the Virgin Mary wears blue). 

The sixpence in the shoe (traditionally left) is so the couple will have good financial luck. 
  • LBM7189LBM7189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Old:  Grandmother's wedding rings & DH's mother's ring was tied into my bouquet
    New:  Dress & Panties :)
    Borrowed:  my Mother's Pearls
    Blue:  Shoes
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ah, I get it.  It all makes sense now.  Thanks :)
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the link Holly!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Something Old: a couple flowers from my mom's silk flower toss bouquet at her wedding were tucked down into my bouquet
    Something New: Dress and accessories
    Something Borrowed: grandmother's wedding rings tied to my bouquet
    Something Blue: wedding dress label with our wedding monogram
    edited December 2011
    It's nice to see all of the ways y'all have done these.

I'm still stumped on pretty much all of them.

Old: Maybe something of my great-aunt's.  Maybe something of my mother's. 
    New: My dress isn't technically "new" although it's new to me.  Shoes will probably be this one.
    Borrowed: I was going to borrow something out of my mother's jewelry box, or "borrow" her sixpence, but now that's not really borrowing since all of it's mine.  So I'm stuck here.
    Blue: I'm least worried about this one, I'll have something blue under the dress.
    Sixpence: my mom told me that she had one for me, now I've just got to find it.

ETA: CJ- if I can find my sixpence, you can borrow it if you'd like
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mary, that's so sweet of you! FI says he saw one in my stuff (apparently I have foreign money lying around in my dresser which makes sense since it used to be my grandparents') when he was moving it to his place, so hopefully we can use that. If it is indeed a sixpence and not a button. :)

-- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

edited December 2011
    Ha!  I know how that goes too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards