Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

How do I plan my ceremony???

I am looking for a good resource to help me plan an itinerary for my ceremony. We are having a non-religious ceremony, officiated by a friend of ours. The ceremony is out side in Maui for 75 guests. I have no idea how to even begin planning the ceremony timeline, what we will do, or what order it should go in...HELP!!!

I think we want to incorporate a sand ceremony and write our own vows. Other than that I am lost....

Re: How do I plan my ceremony???

• Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Go to the library and look for some books on wedding ceremony planning. I think I took home four, there were a couple in particular that were VERY helpful. I'll try to remember the names. Edited to add: The most helpful was The Wedding Ceremony Planner: Crafting the Perfect Day to Unite Your Lives & Love, by Judith Johnson (despite the barf-worthy subtitle, the book is pretty helpful... though it, like all of them, has some truly egregious examples of wedding language I would never in a million years have actually used).

There is a pretty standard order to a wedding ceremony (obviously it varies a little from one religion to the next, or one ceremony to the next, but in general they all follow a similar path).

This is what we had for our secular ceremony, you could easily substitute the sand ceremony were we had the singing, etc.

Processional

Suite No. 1, Prelude ……………..………. Yo-Yo Ma

by J. S. Bach

Bride’s Entrance

Simple Gifts ………………………..…….……. Kevin Roth

by Aaron Copland

Officiant’s Welcome ……………………..…… Officiant

Reading

Oh, the Places You’ll Go! ….. Groom’s Cousin

by Dr. Seuss

Declaration of Intent to Marry and Vows

Song

I’m Yours ……………….………….……… Groom’s Friends

by Jason Mraz                         

Blessing and Exchange of Rings

Reading

The Prophet ………….…..…… Bride’s Friend

by Kahlil Gibran   

Pronouncement

Recessional

Ain’t That Love ..…………………..…….. by Ray Charles

Reception to follow

I have to say, I worked very hard on our ceremony and I love it a whole lot. :) I didn't write much of it myself but cobbled it together from many other sources.  I'd be happy to email it to you as a sample if you send me a PM with your email address.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_plan-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:1abeb194-26ea-4d9b-9e61-d5e4e318a7a1Post:df1db741-5e26-4304-b219-d15c2606210d">Re: How do I plan my ceremony???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tracy, we had I'm yours sang at our wedding too!  :)
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Awwww! I love that song.  :)
  • Options
    Thanks Tracy! For some reason I can't seem to send you a PM...my computer is being difficult...my email is stacy@pacificmotorcompany.com  I appreciate your help :)
  • Options
    You've got mail. :)

Probably might want to take your email adress off the public board though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards