Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Home Improvement Registry?

What resources have you guys found for home improvement registries? We are very fortunate to own our house already and have lived together for awhile, so we'd like to do some home improvement and "nesting" - updating light fixtures and floors, painting walls, putting in grass in the backyard, repairing the bathroom countertop after the disasterous "Candle in the bathroom Incident of 2009"...

I checked with Home Depot and it sounds like they used to have a registry and no longer do. What else is available?

THANKS and happy weddings to all of you!

Re: Home Improvement Registry?

• Options
    Lowe's also discontinued theirs.  The only thing home related I know of is Sears.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat.  We have everything but I would like to do some renovations; hardwood floors, light fixtures, rugs but the items I want come from places that certainly don't have wedding registries and alot of them are local spots.  Plus these items are way to expensive for 1 or even a couple of people to buy. Is it really tasteless to ask for cash towards these home improvements in lieu of actual gifts?
  • Options

I think Sears is your best bet for a registry with home improvement.  If your family wants to spread the word (only if people ask though) that you would like gift cards to Home Depot and Lowe's as well then that would be ok. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're in the same situation, and we're using www.myregistry.com. It's an all-inclusive registry where you can add gifts from any store, even if they don't have a registry or a website. My only beef with it is that it allows you to set up "cash funds" and has a feature to allow your guests to give you the cash value of a registry gift (both of which are pretty tacky), but fortunately, you don't have to use these options. Other than that, we like it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations!  I hadn't thought about Sears.  But I am still left with a problem there.  My fiance is an electrician and has every tool in the world that he needs to do these improvements and alot of these items we want are not available at Lowes or Home Depot. I'm sure that he will claim that he "needs" more tools but he could build at jet airplane with what he has.
    I see that others think asking for cash is tacky and I would agree.

If I can't get my home improvements then I want the gift to be meaningful.  Has anyone ever asked their guests to make charitable donations in lieu of gifts?
  • Options
    We just registered at Home Depot this past weeked. The registry is linked nationally by the stores, but it is not available online. They don't have the whole scan-gun for registering - they give you a paper to fill out, and you manually write down the item code and quantity you want, and then a sales associate enters the information in the Home Depot system when you are complete. (It sounds like more work than it is). To minimize frustration, I've indicated on our website and shower invite that the registry is in-store only.

My mom though that would be a PIA for guests, and we should have just asked for Home Depot gift cards, but I am with you - I think guests enjoy going to see what items you have registered for, and picking something out that they know you will have in your home for a long time - so we decided to registerat Home Depot anyway!
    Kinda Regards, Erica
  • Options
    We also were set on registering at one of those stores -- specifically Lowe's! But since they don't offer it, we considered registering at Menard's (because I know they offer a registry). But we finally just told our moms that when people ask where we're registered, just drop the hint that we'd like to remodel and fix up the house, so Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards would be greatly appreciated :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards