Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How much to pay for a photographer and videoagrapher?

I need to know how much is the standard going rate to hire a wedding photographer and videoagrapher? How much should I be spending?  We are in the Washington DC/Maryland area.
thanks,

Re: How much to pay for a photographer and videoagrapher?

• This completely varies from area to area and also depends on what level of quality you are seeking. For a legally legitimate professional photographer expect to pay anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. Since you are in a major city, I would expect it to be on the higher end..... but I'll let people from your area chime in on that one.
  • edited November 2012
    well, this really depends. you can go anywhere from 1,000-10k for a photographer depending on reputation, quality, style, overhead...you just have to know where to look. you should also know exactly what you are looking for. do you want albums? books? prints? etc.

as far as videography goes. i have seen some videographers offer packages for 750 all the way up to 6,000 or more. the lower amount is just a single individual documenting the day usually. the more expensive ones are doing a cinematography style of video and usually shoot digital slr.
  • You might try the local board for your area to see what the going rate is there.  For photography, the pricing will reflect whether it is someone just starting out (around $1k or below) to mid range ($1500-$2500), to higher end ($3K and up).  I went with a high end photographer in 2009 and spent $4K.  If you're looking for an hourly rate, probably $300/hr (or $2400 for just an 8-hr wedding) would be the average.
  • I Agree with above, check your local board and maybe someone can help and find someone who they reccommend. Some ppl do both photography and videography all in one. I have 2 seperate ppl, just to give you a rough estimate of mine, my photographer was 1350 and my videographer was 2500
  • I had an epiphany with this (not too long ago). To make a long story short my sister is in high school and that made me think of the advanced photography class that her high school offers. I've seen some of their photography and its absolutely amazing. Call a local high school set up a few students, (I chose 3), and pay them something, we did twenty bucks, and then whomever takes the best pics and has the best initiative will get our wedding. The student that did ours yesterday is going to college for photo journalism and is going to use our pics for her portfolio. I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards