Wedding Party
Options

Making my cousin feel included

I have a cousin who is 15 (16 by the wedding).  She is the youngest of four and my family spends a lot of time with her family.  Her older sister (who I am very close with) is one of my bridesmaids (6 in total...no room for a junior and it is a little late to ask since my bridemaids were picked 6 months ago).  My cousin is super sweet and kind of on the meek, innocent side....so much so that when we got engaged she honestly thought she might not be invited to the wedding!  Since asking her sister to be one of my bridesmaids, she always asks if she can be "Guest of Honor."  I don't consider this rude since she's young.  Obviously, she just wants to be included.  Any advice on what I can have her do?  She may be a little shy for a reading but I can always ask.  I know to friends who just missed the "cut" for bridemaid, guest book attendant is insulting, but maybe not for my cousin?  I was thinking also of inviting her to get ready with me and my bridesmaids.  Other suggestions?

Re: Making my cousin feel included

• Options
    Yeah, I also like the idea of asking her to get ready with you. If you think she would be comfortable with it you could maybe ask her to do a reading. But I think getting ready with you would make her feel special without putting her in the spotlight.
  • Options
    Part of the issue with now asking her to be a BM especially if it is not a junior one (which you're right, 15 is a little old...she's curvier than I am) is the girls bought their dresses over the summer and the dress can't be bought any longer.  So she'd be in a different dress which IMO defeats the purpose of including her if she's singled out by her outfit.  Think I'll have her get ready with us and ask about the reading but let her know there is no pressure.  Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards