South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Looking for Casual Type Reception and Ceremony Venues

Does anyone have any ideas of any venues that do both the reception and ceremony at the same place and are more informal and lend itself to NOT being sit down dinner places, or Plantation type Charleston homes or hotel banquet halls that is located right in Downtown Charleston or outside of it (would prefer downtown)?

I'm looking to have 200-225 guests and am looking for something more casual and not so "uppity" that allows people to walk around, socialize, and etc. We'd still have a few tables scattered throughout, but wanted our reception/ceremony to not be so formal and feel more like a "party." I was picturing cocktail tables, food stations spread throughout, people could go outside or inside, couch/nice lounge area, etc.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas you might be able to offer!!!! I appreciate it.Cool

Sincerely-
Charleston 2012 Bride

Re: Looking for Casual Type Reception and Ceremony Venues

• Options
    katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That is a large number of people, but somewhere like the Thomas Bennett House or Lowndes Grove might fit your idea.  I am not sure of your budget, but expect to pay a pretty high fee for somewhere large enough for that number of people if you want it in/near downtown.  Also the Historic Rice Mill over off of Lockwood is really nice.  There is also the Gibbes Art Museum which is a unique venue and would lend very nicely to people walking around because they can check out some of the art galleries. And one of the most fabulous venues (but maybe a little more formal than what you are envisioning) is the William Aiken House.  There are a number of venues that can offer what you want in downtown, just depends how much $$ you want to/can spend.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Historic Rice Mill is fabulous and sounds exactly like what you are describing!
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Charleston Maritime Center would probably work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards