April 2012 Weddings

wedding party issues (long)

Ok, so I've been having a bit of an issue with choosing my bridesmaids. I know my wedding is still 11 months away, but I know that for a couple of my bridesmaids (who definitely want to be in the wedding), money is tight and I wanted to ask them early to give them as much time as possible to save up for their dress. So far I have my sister, FI's sister, and 2 of my cousins who I have remained close with. I have another cousin that I am on the fence about asking. I was close with her when we were younger, but not so much in recent years, although I see her at a family get-together that we do every week.

Now comes her mother. Her eldest daughter (not the one I am considering asking to be in the BP) was married 6 years ago in Disney World. Most of our family couldn't attend the wedding due to financial reasons and/or school responsibilities. My entire family had warned her from the beginning that flying down to Florida for her wedding was going to be very difficult to do if we could do it at all. Unfortunately my aunt has had a chip on her shoulder ever since. Once I got engaged (this will be the first family wedding since since the Disney one), she seemed to get nastier about it - snide remarks whenever she/someone else would ask me about my wedding planning ("Oh you're doing a BUFFET? I prefer sit-down, it's much more elegant" and things of that nature). Don't get me wrong, she's usually nice...it's just when it comes to anything wedding she gets weird.

So back to the wedding party issue. Once my aunt finds out that I asked 2 of my cousins, and neither of her daughters, I'll never hear the end of it. I know it's my wedding and that I should do what I want and not give a crap about what my aunt says, but part of me wants to try and keep the peace however I can. Like I said, I used to be close with her younger daughter, but just haven't been as close in recent years although I see her almost every week. It's not that I don't like her or anything- I know she's busy with her 2 young kids. I keep thinking to myself that maybe if I ask her to be in my wedding party, it should not only shut my aunt up for a little while, but it could also be a chance for my cousin and I to get closer again.

What do you think?
Anniversary

Re: wedding party issues (long)

• cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    I think you're making the right choice by only inviting people you are close to to be in the  wedding party.  I wouldn't invite your aunt's daughter because you aren't that close and because if that daughter reports back to her aunt about wedding details, you may hear even more nasty remarks.

A nice peace offering could be to ask that daughter to do a reading.  That way, she has a position of honor (and gets to attend the rehearsal dinner), but won't really be in the bridal party.  It's also a less expensive/time-consuming job than a bridemaid, since she wont need to be in pictures, buy a dress, potentially help plan things like a shower and bachelorette.
  • I agree with PP that you should only ask those who are close to you. And great idea having her do a reading to involve her and as a peace offering.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • I agree with PP here too. "Shutting somebody up for a while" isn't a reason to invite someone to your wedding party- if you're not close to her, don't invite her. You deserve to have your closest girls around you on your day, no matter what anyone says!
    "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."- Emily Bronte Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards