Moms and Maids
Options

Who pays????

So Im not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. I just got engaged a little while ago and now the planning has began. Anyway while picking out bridesmaid dresses the question was raised. Who pays for the wedding party dresses and tux? Does everybody pay for their own dress and tux rental etc.? Or does the bride and groom pay? Just curious because Ive heard very different things from alot of people.

Re: Who pays????

• Options
    edited December 2011
    They pay for their own attire unless you're feeling generous and can afford to pay for it.  
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    One thing to keep in mind before you look at dresses/tuxes, etc is this:  ask each wedding party member PRIVATELY what their budget is for wedding clothes.  When you have chosen a dress you love and it's 200.00 and then ask all the girls at the same time if it's ok, not one of them will stand up and be the person who disappoints  you in front of everyone.

Ask each one how much they can afford and cater to the one who has the smallest budget.  Along with the dress comes alterations, hair/makeup, showers, bach parties, shoes, jewelry, etc.  The price of the dress is only the tip of the ieceberg.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some guidelines for you to follow:

1. Don't ask anyone to be in your WP until 6-9 months before your wedding. Relationships change - even the ones that you think never will and once someone is in your WP, you can't kick them out unless they've tried to kill you or sleep with your FI.

2. Ask your BMs individually so that no one feels pressured into saying yes. (and just ask.  Don't try to do anything cutesy.)

3. Ask each one privately for her budget - and make them give you an answer.  The one with the smallest budget determines what will be spent on the dress - and don't forget to figure in alteration costs.

4. The only thing the BMs are responsible for is the dress itself.  If you insist on matching shoes, matching jewelry, salon done hair and/or makeup, then you pay for that.

5. Do not expect bachelorette parties or showers and make sure that your MOH makes it clear that nobody is obligated to attend and if they can't attend, they are in no way obligated to kick in for the cost.  For that matter, they aren't obligated to kick in at all (we've had some MOHs here who decided to throw parties that cost BM's hundreds of dollars that they didn't have).
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your answers and advice...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is the typical situation that they pay. However, I'm paying for my BMs dresses because they're all students, and I don't expect that they'll want to pay upwards of $100 on a dress they never plan to wear again when they can barely afford Kraft Dinner. Instead, I'm asking that they pay for their shoes and any accessories they want (I'm leaving it all up to them. I don't even care if they wear accessories!), which is considerably cheaper. If it does happen that it's a bit pricey for them to pay for these, I would cover the costs. I'd say it's on a case-by-case basis, but usually the maids pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards