Catholic Weddings
Options

Selecting a Preist (different situation)

So this kind of piggy backs on one of the previous posts. 

When FI proposed we decided that we would be married in my church.  I hadn't received all of my sacraments and hadn't been active in the church for quite a while.  ::Please don't throw stones and keep reading:: 

I met with the preist at my church to find out what the requirements would be for us to be married there and if he would marry us at all.  Through this meeting Father P got me interested in persuing receiving the other sacraments and being confirmed.  Father P played a HUGE role in this.  We had a few meetings and discussed a little about the wedding, but mostly about RCIA.  He helped bring me back to the church through his listening and understanding without judgement.  Ever since then I have been going regularly and church and spirituality have become a big part of my life.   

Father P was transferred to another church before the bulk of wedding planning got underway.  Now Father D is at our church.  We've met with him and set up the date for the wedding and the Rehearsal and he is excited to be doing our wedding. 

Here is the big wrench.... I would love to have Father P marry us or be involved in some way.  Is it appropriate to ask Father D if Father P can be involved in some way.  I don't want to approach either one if it isn't appropriate or if it is rude.  HELP!

Re: Selecting a Preist (different situation)

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes absolutely! At the very least, they can concelebrate (if you are having a mass). He can also read the gospel, do the homily or rite of marriage.

A friend of mine left the seminary and got married, but had about 6 priests concelebrating his wedding.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yup! Both me and my sister did this! Just talk to Father D, I'm sure it will be fine!
  • Options
    echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All you have to do is ask! most priests are ok with it. I work at a Catholic church and we have a lot of couples who get married and invite back former pastors who had  big influence in their lives previously.

I am getting married at the parish I grew up in (3 hours from where I am now) and FI and I have asked 3 other priests to be a part of the Mass and ceremony with our friend who is being ordained in 2 weeks as the main celebrant. The only concern the priest of the parish we are getting married in has is that something may happen and our priests may not be able to get coverage in their home parishes for the weekend but I think if we give enough notice (we have given them over a year) that it should be OK.  So that might e a concern of Fr. D.

(as a side note though - remembering priests are persons, some do get offended when you want to invite someone else in for your wedding......just wanted to add that little bit because you never know!)

Good luck!! I am always thankful for priests like Fr. P who are amazing at living out their vocation!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_selecting-preist-different-situation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:8e2d2fd1-0c3c-4824-bdf8-ab8c0adf6f46Post:e83be6f4-0633-4e7c-9782-ab1ba432d05a">Re: Selecting a Preist (different situation)</a>:
    [QUOTE] (as a side note though - remembering priests are persons, some do get offended when you want to invite someone else in for your wedding......just wanted to add that little bit because you never know!) Good luck!! I am always thankful for priests like Fr. P who are amazing at living out their vocation!
    Posted by echo136[/QUOTE]

Yes this is one of the things I worry about.  I guess I won't know though unless I ask!  Thank you ladies for your advice and feedback! 

On a side note, this is still mlhw-nh.  I logged out of the knot and then it wouldn't let me log back in so I had to change my screen name and log on that way!  GRRR! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is definitely possible, just ask. Usually it has to be okayed with the parish priest for outside priests to come in and help during the marriage. I think it would be wonderful to have 2 priests. We are having our priest and deacon present at our marriage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards