Christian Weddings
Options

Pre-marital counseling

My FI and I are going to be doing our pre-marital counseling through a therapist who is also a professor at a nearby Christian college. She told us about the Prepare/Enrich program and gave us a choice to do that. Have any of you gone through that, and if so, do you think it's worth it?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pre-marital counseling

• Options
    The Prepare/Enrich survey was part of our premarital class and it was beneficial to us.  Most of the items we had already discussed, but there were some things from the survey that our teaching couple brought up and talked through with us that I don't think we would have brought up on our own.  They weren't earth shaking deal breakers by any means, but they were still important.
  • Options
    We would have to pay another $30 each to take the test online, and have it sent to our counselor. For an extra $60, would you say then, that it is worth it? (we are on a budget, especially since we are paying out of pocket for these sessions.) Or would just normal sessions work too?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did a Prepare/Enrich day but it sounds like you are talking about something else. We didn't like the day-long program. But I trust Emily's opinion! Sounds like it'll be good! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    We did FOCCUS, which is similar to PREPARE/ENRICH.  We enjoyed it and liked seeing that we were almost 100% the same answers, haha.  I think the only thing we had brought up was about parental involvement in our post-wedding lives, and we were both in agreement that it might be a problem!  So it was cool to see that we were on the same page.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    We actually took that quiz thingy twice.. Once was last year and recently we took it again .. No not because we "failed " but we were seeing a different counselor at the time and now we are in pre-marital and we took one that said couple with stepchildren/children..

My pastor didnt charge us for it , we  did it on paper and it got sent out like a school /scantron test.. but before we had to pay for it on the computer..

It's basic stuff and if it's a serious topic and one says agree and the other disagree then they just kinda ask you /talk about it . Maybe you could ask them to just read you the questions and answer them orally ?

Love is All You Need
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_pre-marital-counseling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1fd8e36e-e5a8-4830-89b3-1b9f7839ca14Post:f2ecf2bc-6283-4c52-9a4a-2be9e2e2b911">Pre-marital counseling</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are going to be doing our pre-marital counseling through a therapist who is also a professor at a nearby Christian college. She told us about the Prepare/Enrich program and gave us a choice to do that. Have any of you gone through that, and if so, do you think it's worth it?
    Posted by orangehills[/QUOTE]

We took the survey and going to start going through it with our couselors after we get moved in two weeks. :)!!!
    I'm pretty excited about it because it will help us focus in on what our main issues are and offer us solutions.

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_pre-marital-counseling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1fd8e36e-e5a8-4830-89b3-1b9f7839ca14Post:520fee1e-3012-4ed1-8483-a8642048d275">Re: Pre-marital counseling</a>:
    [QUOTE]We would have to pay another $30 each to take the test online, and have it sent to our counselor. For an extra $60, would you say then, that it is worth it? (we are on a budget, especially since we are paying out of pocket for these sessions.) Or would just normal sessions work too?
    Posted by orangehills[/QUOTE]

We did this exact online survey and we found out things about one another that we didn't know or necessarily discuss. I think it was worth it; I don't know how much you are paying for your pre-marital counselling but as someone who has taken this survey and had it applied to our sessions, it worked out great.  The counsellor was able to customize our sessions to our areas of improvements rather than give us a general overview of what we may or may not need to work on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards