Getting in Shape

Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose

Hey ladies, 
Do any of you use a Rx to help lose weight? I am going to talk to my doctor, she did offer a year ago if i was having trouble, but i try to be natural and organic and do not like too many chemicals my body - i have lost about 15lb on my own since Dec.
any suggestions?  thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!

Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose

• I have never heard of a prescription to lose weight.....I see a lot of ads on TV for magic diet pills - they don't work and who knows what you would be putting into your body. Eat healthy & exercise are really the only 2 sure things that will work. Try something like myfitness pal or spark people to track your food and exercise and to give you appropriate weight loss goals and how to work towards them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited February 2012
    Do you weight train? Weight training is the best way to lose body fat percentage. It burns more calories when your body is at rest than steady cardio. Have you ever heard of HIIT (high intensity interval training)? HIIT is another great workout to help loose fat %.

Side note: HIIT doesn't have to be 'hard' on your body. I think that's a common misconception. For example, I do HIIT workouts on the elliptical. I do 30 seconds on a hard resistance (14-15) then do a minute on a lower resistance (around 5-7). Then repeat. I have a timer app on my phone that I set up for 30, 60, 30, 60...

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• i have been working with a trainer 2 times a week and i do the HIIT on the treadmill most weekday mornings, it is working but i guess i still hope and wish there was something - to excelerate it... i know it is the healthier way to get lasting results is a pound a week so i am ion the right track.... Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There are prescription medications that are to assist in weight loss. Xenical is one of them & is the same thing as Alli (which is OTC), just a higher dose. That causes your body to eliminate a higher percentage of fat in your stool than you'd normally. There are a lot of side effects and those side effects aren't pretty. 

I used to work in a pharmacy and although a few patients who were following the directions carefully did have success, most didn't. In my opinion, a good doctor wouldn't prescribe that. 
  • There are currently no prescriptions available for weight loss.  One was on the market for a while, but it was taken off when major side effects began to surface.  They keep failing FDA testintg because there's too many things they do to your body, mostly related to heart irregularities and seizures.  Anything available over the counter is a short term loss, and it works by essentially giving you a constant stream of "intestinal distress" to phrase it nicely.

15 lbs since December is GREAT progress.  You're averaging a little over 1 lb a week, and normal/healthy weight loss is considered up to 2 lbs a week.  You're right on par.  I know it may feel like it's going slow, but the course you're on will give you lasting results.  Keep going, and good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_going-to-the-dr-on-friday-been-working-out-need-more-help-to-lose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3db34466-438a-430c-a1bd-f7e9cd930513Post:1ab73f9a-2cb8-42b5-8741-c292dc083e12">Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are prescription medications that are to assist in weight loss. Xenical is one of them & is the same thing as Alli (which is OTC), just a higher dose. That causes your body to eliminate a higher percentage of fat in your stool than you'd normally. There are a lot of side effects and those side effects aren't pretty.  I used to work in a pharmacy and although a few patients who were following the directions carefully did have success, most didn't. In my opinion, a good doctor wouldn't prescribe that. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

Xenical is only used for people classified as "very obese" or worse, and who have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, or heart disease related to their weight.  It has to be done in conjunction with a specific diet and with regular exercise, or side effects worsen.  Usual side effects put it on par with over the counter pills in that you're likely to experience intestinal "issues" that send you to the bathroom often.
  • If you are talking about Medical Weight Loss at all, I have been on it and would NEVER recommend it to ANYONE. It is just a "fad" diet that will not help you in the long-term.
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_going-to-the-dr-on-friday-been-working-out-need-more-help-to-lose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3db34466-438a-430c-a1bd-f7e9cd930513Post:2f181029-c02e-4758-96d9-1aea85539d79">Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose : Xenical is only used for people classified as "very obese" or worse, and who have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, or heart disease related to their weight.  It has to be done in conjunction with a specific diet and with regular exercise, or side effects worsen.  Usual side effects put it on par with over the counter pills in that you're likely to experience intestinal "issues" that send you to the bathroom often.
    Posted by dogsandfrogs[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I know. I was a pharmacy student & aware of the indication and side effects of the drug, which is why I mentioned it. <div>
    </div><div>Needless to say, not all doctors follow protocol and will prescribe it even if the do not meet the requirements. If the customer is paying out of pocket, then it won't matter that an insurance won't cover it. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: OP, you mentioned that the Doctor offered a prescription to you years ago, but you said no. Did s/he mention which one, or why it was an option for you?</div>
  • I know a couple women that are average size but (quite frankly) too lazy to work at their fitness.. so they both convinced their doctors to give them a thyroid medication which has allowed them to drop pounds pretty fast *le sigh* 

That's the only thing of which I've heard.. and I HIGHLY recommend you not go that route. Anything you give your body that it doesn't need will have some consequences. 

I understand the frustration.. I have recently his a plateau and am pretty annoyed/upset about it. Please don't resort to unsafe methods, though....
    If there was a safe, fast, and successful method everyone would be skinny. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_going-to-the-dr-on-friday-been-working-out-need-more-help-to-lose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3db34466-438a-430c-a1bd-f7e9cd930513Post:d29ebe47-5ac1-4e78-afd3-ca9e397924ee">Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose : Yeah, I know.<strong> I was a pharmacy student</strong> & aware of the indication and side effects of the drug, which is why I mentioned it.  Needless to say, not all doctors follow protocol and will prescribe it even if the do not meet the requirements. If the customer is paying out of pocket, then it won't matter that an insurance won't cover it.  ETA: OP, you mentioned that the Doctor offered a prescription to you years ago, but you said no. Did s/he mention which one, or why it was an option for you?
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

My apologies.  In your initial post you simply said you worked in a pharmacy, and while pharm techs still know a LOT about the drugs, I wasn't sure if you were aware of the full implications of the drug, which was why I made the post I did.  I was not aware you were actually a pharm student.  I also figured it made sense to make the OP aware of the full implications of the drug and it's intended use, rather than just saying there were nasty side effects.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_going-to-the-dr-on-friday-been-working-out-need-more-help-to-lose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3db34466-438a-430c-a1bd-f7e9cd930513Post:bff36ca9-6921-4136-8d91-794cba05c3d9">Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going to the Dr on Friday... been working out need more help to lose : My apologies.  In your initial post you simply said you worked in a pharmacy, and while pharm techs still know a LOT about the drugs, I wasn't sure if you were aware of the full implications of the drug, which was why I made the post I did.  I was not aware you were actually a pharm student.  I also figured it made sense to make the OP aware of the full implications of the drug and it's intended use, rather than just saying there were nasty side effects.
    Posted by dogsandfrogs[/QUOTE]
    You'd think that her doctor would be the one to do that, but unfortunately many don't. Since now in many states, including NJ, pharm techs need to be licensed, they are much more knowledgeable than they used to me. <div>
    </div><div>Some doctors just want the money, so they'll write whatever Rx makes the patient happy. There were many instances where a gastroenterologist would prescribe this certain patient steroid creams for his eczema. The insurance didn't find that too funny. </div>
  • You might look into whatever it is the MD wants to prescribe before filling it- the weight loss associated with Rx meds is actually pretty minimal, and as previously mentioned, some of them can have some pretty unpleasant side effects.  Further, the weight loss is temporary and you will most likely gain it back once you go off the medication.  You might also look into whether or not your insurance company will cover the medication, because often they aren't covered (completely depends on your plan).  To limit further debate/discussion, I am a third year pharmacy student.
    Anniversary
  • Obviously I agree with the intelligent ladies on here.  Best thing the doctor will do is prescribe diet and excercise,  or worse, xenical,  which is currently the only FDA approved weight loss drug with mixed results, and kind of gross side effects.

You seem to be hitting the gym pretty regularly,  but how long are you doing the cardio for?   For consitent weight loss,  you want to be doing more than 4 hours of moderate intensity exercise per week.  Keep up with the reistance training.

Also,  15 lbs is AWESOME,  its alot of fat,  and you probably lost more than that when you take account for body composition,  you probably lost a bit more fat and put on a bit mroe muscle.  

Check out your diet.  You want to be eating 30 percent less calories than you need to maintain your current weight,  which you can figure out using this:

Its just some random page I found with the Harris benedict formula

You really want to get the nutrition aspect down solid.  Out of all my clients who have seen stellar results,  they ALL  were spot on with nutrition.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!!
  • I had never asked for anything from the Dr - she brought it up, told me i need to lose about 100lb, try on your own and if you have trouble i can write a scrip for something to help - although i want to lose for the wedding i more want to lose for me and starting a family - i think i am going to stick to my current plan this is a forever for me not just a 5 month crash diet :) thanks :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Awesome.  Research shows the slower and more steady the weight loss is,  the more likely you are to keep it off.  

So thats definitely the attitude to have,  even though we are pressured to lose it all quick and by any means possible.  At the end of the day,  you want it to be for health.  Without that you have nothing.

Good luck,
    Greg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards