Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Reception Food-not catered.......

What are you serving at your reception?? Is it something simple you, your family or friends will be making--if so I wanna hear all about it! 

Re: Reception Food-not catered.......

• Options
    edited December 2011
    All DIY trying to keep a mix of normal summer pic-nic foods and some traditional Irish meals, since that is our theme to celebrate the FI's background. I think I'm gonna do most of the cooking but if anyone wants to give a helping hand im all for it.
    10.2011 Siggy
    BM Dresses
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    *Updated 1/21*
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our venue does their own catering in-house, and won't accept outside food, so they're making it all.

However, we were looking into some other venues where we could've brought in whatever food we wanted. I personally wouldn't have had my family prepare it, though, because I think it's a lot of stress and hinders on their enjoyment of the day.

I was researching a few catering companies that had reasonable prices. I found that it was less expensive to go through a standard catering company rather than a "wedding caterer." I also found some good deals through local restaurants, delis and supermarkets, so I would look into those. Some pizza places make pretty good dishes. Even if you plan to make your own food, you could at least look at those catering menus to get some ideas.

Another option would be to buy frozen appetizers (chicken tenders, quiche, mozzarella sticks), ready-made trays (fruit, vegetables, cheese cubes, cocktail shrimp) and ready-made sides (potatoes, macaroni, potato salad and noodle salad, vegetables, stuffing) from supermarkets, and then just hire someone to heat and plate it for you. If you need entree items, maybe try roasted chickens or turkey breasts, or baked ham.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Having helped do this for a friend's wedding on her family's farm... I can say from experience... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

There are more issues with simple things like refrigeration and heating than you can imagine...  Everyone just LOVES warm beer because it's a choice between having safe food to eat or something cold to drink (every store/gas station within 30 miles was sold out of ice so that wasn't even an option)...  The food safety part of things is huge because not everyone follows proper hand washing, touching their face (wipe that drippy nose), knows storing temperatures for food, how long it can safely be left out, how quick to reheat, etc. 

Plus, you're essentially asking your guests to WORK at your wedding.  Order out Pizza or Subway if you have to, but don't ask your guests to WORK at your wedding, it takes the fun out of the day for them and it's also SUPER messy (cake cutting, switching out pans, washing dishes, etc.)... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my FI and i are using Harris Teeter for our food. They have great party platters that are reasonably priced and are really tasty! the cake was purchased as a gift to us at the local bakery, and it is SO delicious! we did go over our initial plan of only 75-100 people, but there will be a lot of children there, so we've decided to make cookies with frosting the wedding colors. we're also going to get a bulk bag or two of chicken nuggets and frozen french fries at costco or sam's club and bake those for the kiddies. [:
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I’m opposite of some pp but we are Italian, LOVE to cook and do all our own stuff most the time anyway. BUT we are keeping it all very simple with limited prep/cooking involved, have plenty of fridge/oven space, and are doing only tried and true recipes we could pull off in our sleep! We're having ’prep’ party to cut up and make everything day before with family and friends that want to help out - not made to or even asked but offered. Do have caterer doing few sides which we didn‘t want to deal with, setting up/manning stations day of, and carving meat for guests.  Appetizers … bruschettamarinated mozzarella, artichoke hearts, and olives (will all be done week before)3 cheese platter with blue-soft-hard cheeses (1 of each), grapes, and various crackers
    Meal …pig roast (only $250 for 150 guests - my dad‘s doing himself - will be on carving table with caterer carving for each guest - won‘t see roaster AT ALL)mosticolli with Italian sausage (us - will have shout wipes on hand lol)glazed carrots (caterer)other veggie undecided (caterer)parsley potatoes undecided (caterer)panzanella salad (us)rolls (from local baker)

Something else to think about if DIY - how will you get it all to the venue?  Our reception is on my parent's farm so no moving but if it was at a different location I would NOT do it myself!
  • Options
    katymarie101katymarie101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Brother is doing it all but this is what he does for a living he said he wanted to do the food and not be in the wedding party. But I think he is enlisting some help from other chefs he knows. But we are having a circus theme so its going to be a lot of hot dogs and cotton candy and pop corn NO sit down dinner at all.
  • Options
    KateelisabethKateelisabeth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Fiance and I are having an evening wedding, so we're doing a desert reception, including rustic bread, cheese, honey and fruit boards. We're also doing  a children's food table since we're having so many kids at our wedding (finger sandwiches, etc).

Fortunately, I have A LOT of family coming into town and they have all asked me to let them help. My aunts and I are going to hold a couple baking days prior to the wedding day in which the breads and deserts can be prepped, fruit can be chopped, etc, so that not everything is being done the day of.  

I understand that the situation is going to be different for everyone, but in my case it's a mutual honor for my family to be able to feel like they were a vital part of the big day and contributed somehow, all while giving them something to do in a town where they don't know anyone. 
    My advice is this:
    Keep it simple! Involve the people who you trust and express a desire to help, and don't pressure those that don't-- that's my philosophy at least:) 

Good luck!!
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can check my bio, but it's a combination of deli catered - main course and my mom is making the side dishes (macaroni and cheese, green beans) and I'm making the appetizers (spinach dip and bruschetta).

There's definitely ways to work around this.  Good luck!
  • Options
    brandylea4brandylea4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards