Wedding Party
Options

shaved head???

One of my bridesmaids is planning on shaving her head within a year of my wedding. I know hair grows but there is no way her hair will grow very long by then and I kinda planned on having everyones hair up....and mine down.....Am I totally out of line to be kinda annoyed (to myself obviously) and shocked that she would even consider this? It is not for any reason other than something different. People say I could have her buy extensions but I feel that is a very ridiculous and costly solution. I couldn't imagine asking that of her....I need suggestions/help. Should I just be ok with her doing it??

Re: shaved head???

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_shaved-head?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:471aa7c7-d7bb-4c57-9322-e7503fc51486Post:92a93e01-712a-4e76-98cc-5c5e28d3f1eb">shaved head???</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my bridesmaids is planning on shaving her head within a year of my wedding. I know hair grows but there is no way her hair will grow very long by then and I kinda planned on having everyones hair up....and mine down.....Am I totally out of line to be kinda annoyed (to myself obviously) and shocked that she would even consider this? It is not for any reason other than something different. People say I could have her buy extensions but I feel that is a very ridiculous and costly solution. I couldn't imagine asking that of her....I need suggestions/help. Should I just be ok with her doing it??
    Posted by KylieMatt718[/QUOTE]

<div>It's her head, she can do what she wants with it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Dictating hairstyle is over the top ridiculous anyway.  You should not be telling them whether their hair is up or down.  As long as she doesn't tattoo a swastika on her scalp, you are out of line to say anything or to be upset about it.  </div>
  • Options
    mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Not that it will have anything to do with my answer, but why is she shaving her head?  Besides cancer patients, I know of one woman who shaves her head whenever she gets a new tattoo.  I'm just curious why she's shaving her head. 

For one, I will say that you should probably not make a big deal about it.  When it comes to weddings and appearance, you have to let people use their best judgement.  You cannot dictate that she wear her hair a certain way, so I would not ask her to try and keep it long for your wedding.  Odds are if she wants an updo for your wedding, she'll be cognizant of that fact.
  • Options
    Which one would you rather have in your wedding?  A long full head of hair or your friend?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options

She just wanted a different hairstyle she said.......Okay fair enough....I guess I was completely wrong and am glad I kept my opinions to myself. Thank you.

• Options
    I'll be honest, if I found out a bridesmaid was doing this, I would have a momentary What the He!l is she doing!!!!!! moment.  At the end of the day though, it's her head, and you are right to move on, and trust she will look lovely, bald or not. 
  • Options
    I fully understand you having a moment of panic. I don't think it's wrong in any way to ask your bridesmaids to wear their hair up. If this was 'wrong' then it would be 'wrong' to ask them to wear a certain color dress. -But back to the point. Her hair will be short and will have the 'up' appearance that you're going for. Don't let little things cause you stress! 'It's the marriage, not the wedding' has been my mantra throughout everything. I encourage adoption of it <3
    In my wildest dreams, you always play the hero. In my darkest hour of night, you rescue me, you save my life wedding planning guide
  • Options
    I also admit I would freak out if a bridemaid told me she was doing this.  I would also worry that something was going on with her - but thats just my girls - for other people its just something different to do and I get that.  Of course you can't tell her not to, as you obviously know and said yourself, but at least you have the knot to vent about it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Would you make your friends grow their hair out for your wedding if they had a short hairstyle?

One of my really good friends has a shaved head and I think she looks gorgeous (and no, she doesn't have a disease that causes her to not have any hair).  If your friend wants to shave her head that's up to her.  If it's not long enough for your wedding, no one's going to care except you.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This reminds me of when I found out one of my bridesmaids is trying to get pregnant.  I am completely psyched for her and I can't wait for her to have a baby, but for about two minutes, I completely and irrationally freaked out.  After the freakout, I found some great maternity bm dresses and sent her a picture, telling her that I hope she has to wear this one instead of the one she already has that has tight corset.  Plus, it will be a great memory when we look back at the pictures.

I'm sure your friend will look great, pretty updo or not.
  • Options
    I have a "shorter" hair cut that can't be put into an updo and would be hurt if someone asked me to be in thier wedding party and then asked me to grow my hair out.  It's not about the hairstyle, it's about those who are most important to you having a part in your big day.

This would be an issue if she was doing it the week before your wedding when plans and styles have all been set- then, you simply could ask her to wait a week and do a PWC after the wedding.

Just sit down with her for  a few minutes and have a heart to heart...discuss your "vision" for your day and ask her what length she thinks her hair wil be by your day so that you can plan for the hair stylist :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I had enough of a problem growing my hair out for my own wedding-I get frustrated growing out my hair, and usually wind up chopping it into a short bob every couple of months. Needless to say, I would be ticked off if a bride told me that I had to have hair long enough for an up-do to be in her wedding. I'd feel like she valued how I would look in her photos more than she valued me as a friend.

You picked your friend to stand up as a BM because of who she is, not what she would look like in your wedding photos. You're definitely doing the right thing by letting it go.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards