Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cafe type food at reception -- opinions, please?

We're having an informal summertime wedding.  We decided that we'd like to do sort of a cafe feel with a buffet menu of the casual kinds of comfort foods we love at our local cafes -- salads, sandwiches, but with more hearty stuff like chili and mac and cheese instead of soup (because sloshy soups are a pain in the ass).  It feels right for our crowd and the level of formality (or lack thereof, I guess) of our wedding. 

A couple of details we're stuck on:

1.  If there is plenty (amount and variety) of salads, bread, sandwiches, and heartier soup-like dishes, should we also do some other sides like potato and/or pasta salads or veggie dishes?  Or is the soup/salad/sandwich type menu enough as long as we have a large enough quantity of everything?

2.  Should we have more than two soup-type options?  For some (probably arbitrary) reason I feel like maybe we should figure out one more.  Three is the magic number or something like that, right?  Or am I just overthinking?
imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cafe type food at reception -- opinions, please?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. I think having some sides would be nice, although if you're already having salads, I don't know that you need to have a huge variety of pasta/potato/etc. salads.  A plain garden salad, a fancier green salad (like a caesar or something with fancier ingredients, maybe even a grilled vegetable platter), and a fruit salad?  I don't think you'd have to add heavier sides with your other options.  

2. I don't think you need to add another soup-type option, although I rarely think adding more options is a bad idea.  We had a buffet, too, but we had our soup and salad courses plated.  If you wanted to do another soup, maybe you could have a nice summertime soup--like chilled fruit soup or gazpacho--in small cups (ours was gazpacho in a martini glass) at each plate, so people don't have to deal with carrying the soup and could eat that before going through the buffet.  We also had fruit soup shooters at our cocktail hour, and you could probably have those on the buffet fairly easily.  

Now that I think about it, I went to an event that had a station with cold carrot ginger soup and cold strawberry soup, and you just served yourself what you wanted in a teacup.  It wasn't a giant PITA, although I could see it being annoying if you were trying to carry a plate of food at the same time.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This sounds yummy to me! I don't think I would add another soup, but maybe some h'orderve style food, like grilled vegetables or cheese and fruit.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds great. As PP said: additional items aren't a bad thing, but what you have sounds perfect so I definitely wouldn't stress over adding anything extra. As long as there is plenty of what you do have, people will eat & be merry.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!  I've never had to plan to feed this many people before.  I think my biggest wedding nightmare is having a crappy dinner or running out of food.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think your food sounds yummy.  we are doing chili the night before since we are basically feeding the whole wedding (DW in a lodge).  Most of our guests will be there the night before and we decided to do two soups - chili and a potato soup with cornbread/rolls and I'm making smore brownies for dessert.  This is almost as laid back as our actual wedding meal, for that we are doing steak, baked potatoes, salad, veggie trays (although at mention of grilled veggies above I see a menu change here) and cake. 

So yes two soups should be fine, with sandwiches and possibly a fruity or veggie side.  I know I'd enjoy it.  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards