April 2012 Weddings
Options

Dress Remorse

I just got my dress last weekend -  the WTOO Vanessa. It is a GORGEOUS dress. So I'm freaking out.  While it is the prettiest dress ever, I'm freaking out that I made the wrong choice. I'm afraid its not the best dress for my body, size 4 5'10" and zero hips and no boobs. I think it looks great on the model who is tiny but curvy, but not flattering for me.

I am furthur torturing myself by watching episode after episode of say yes to the dress and seeing so many gorg dresses! I tried on about 20 and ended up ordering the first I tried on/dress I went to the store to try on. I know its an awesome dress and not sure if watching too much wedding tv has ruined it for me. I'm hoping alterations can cinch in the waist and create curves but not sure if Im willing to roll the dice on that for my wedding day!

Has this happened to anyone else? I havea custom veil and everything that matches the dress yet am thisclose to shopping for a dif dress. Has anyone gone out and bought a different dress due to dress remorse?

Having an un-wedding!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress Remorse

• Options

Trust your instincts that you picked the right dress.  Give it a chance and add your accessories :-)

I've had second thoughts about my sample sale bargain gown since it's nothing fancy.  I even kept looking since it was such a bargain that I was okay trying to sell it for $50 on eBay to get some of my money back.  But I never found anything I liked better.  Especially for the price.  I just got my bridal portraits and it photographed well and there's no going back now!

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    While I never bought a dress (I'm wearing a family gown), I can somewhat relate! My dress was my aunts, who was larger than me, so I was worried the dress would not hug my curves or be the most flattering, but let me tell you: if you find a good seamstress, they can work wonders! I've also been bummed I won't ever get that dress buying experience, but saving hundreds or thousands was a major incentive, as is the fact that it's a family dress. 

If you watch a lot of SYTTD, you should know what Randy always says! Dress shopping is like finding your FI: you found the one so it's time to stop shopping around!

If I were you, I would stop watching SYYTD if it makes you depressed about your choice, and definitely do not try on any more dresses at this point! I'd ask around and shop around for a good seamstress and let her/him tell you what can or cannot be done to your dress. Hopefully they can make something happen for you. Let that be your first step, then seriously think about it before you go dress shopping again. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    Sounds like you don't want the dress shopping to end.  It took me a while to stop looking, too.  It feels so amazing trying on so many beautiful gowns and it's hard admitting that it's over.  You picked a dress because it makes you feel the prettiest, hold on to that feeling and keep remembering it until you get to put the dress on again.  You're going to look amazing in your dress and seamstress' can work magic.  Also, your dress is BEAUTIFUL!  Turn off SYTTD and find another show, it's going to drive you crazy.
  • Options
    Don't do it!!! At least not until you talk to a great seamstress to see what can be done with it.

I had doubts about my dress, until I put it back on at my first fitting and I realized that I just liked dress shopping.  I think once it's not on, it's easy to second guess your choice, but the moment it goes back on your body, it all comes back and you remember why!

If a seamstress doesn't think that they can get it fitted to give you curves, then maybe you should make reconsider, but some of these alterations ladies are pretty amazing.

GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_dress-remorse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:cd8838b6-9ddd-4bb6-b5b8-2dfc34e62d96Post:c3d2cd3e-fe4f-45c8-964b-9d3b21643626">Re: Dress Remorse</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like you don't want the dress shopping to end.  It took me a while to stop looking, too.  It feels so amazing trying on so many beautiful gowns and it's hard admitting that it's over.  You picked a dress because it makes you feel the prettiest, hold on to that feeling and keep remembering it until you get to put the dress on again.  You're going to look amazing in your dress and seamstress' can work magic.  Also, your dress is BEAUTIFUL!  Turn off SYTTD and find another show, it's going to drive you crazy.
    Posted by murphanzo[/QUOTE]
    This, this, this, THIS!!!<div>
    </div><div>I was totally sad after I realized I had no more dress shopping. I had looked for so long buy only tried on about 6 dresses at 2 stores, so it felt so short lived! I had to ban myself from SYTTD because it was making me second guess myself. I also stopped looking at bridal magazines for at least a month. Now I can look and not stare at gowns. </div><div>
    </div><div>Everytime I started to second guess, I'd pull up pictures of myself in my gown & would relax. If after a month or two you still can't get over it, then I'd consider looking seriously at other gowns. For right now, just let it sink in.</div>
  • Options
    Thanks girls! These are all great points. I don't think I can stand turning off SYTTD but I will wait and see what the seamstress says. I have wonderful consignment dress boutique that I know I can steal an awesome dress from if it comes to that. 

Oh Lordy. How many people wish they would wake up in the AM with huge childbearing hips? This girl!
    Having an un-wedding!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I LOVE my dress... my only beef is that I didn't realize how popular it was when I bought it (sottero and midgley adorae).. I've seen it on like 3-4 episodes of syttd.. and I was in vegas on 11-11-11 and 2 of the 12 brides I saw that day had my dress on.. ugh.. I guess it just doesn't give me that one of a kind special feeling.. but I do still love it on me.   I just hope nobody else realizes how popular it is! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I am having the same problem.... I bought a dress but now wish I had gone with the vannessa dress and am trying to decide what to do with the dress I have so I can buy the Vannessa! Let me know what you decide and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards