Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Letting Guests Know about Post-wedding breakfast

The hotel where we have blocked rooms includes a complimentary breakfast in the room rate.  Since they expect the hotel to be empty (other than our guests) at the time of our wedding, the hotel volunteered to set up a private room where we could have an organized post-wedding breakfast.  They would set up a hot breakfast buffet for all the guests staying at the hotel for free.

That's great news, since FMIL really wanted a breakfast, but it wasn't really in the budget.  However, now I am stumped about how to inform guests of the breakfast.  Since the hotel is only providing breakfast for the hotel guests, there's no good way to mention it on our website.  (Post-wedding breakfast, but not if you don't stay at the hotel!)  I thought about just sending info to OOT guests, but a number of our local relatives are planning on staying at the hotel because we will have a free shuttle to and from the reception.  So I don't want to exclude the local guests who will be staying at the hotel.

Any suggestions for how to let hotel guests know about the breakfast?  I thought about asking the hotel to tell them, but am worried that people might make flight arrangements before calling the hotel and finding out about the breakfast.  Unfortunately, it gets difficult to invite non-hotel guests, since it's logistically difficult to figure out exactly who shows up that isn't a guest to keep track of the number of extra breakfasts to pay for.

Re: Letting Guests Know about Post-wedding breakfast

• Options
    Are you doing OOT bags?  Even if you don't, you could do a welcome letter that the hotel will hand to each guest upon check-in.  You could tell them any important wedding info (times, transportation, etc) and then put a blurb at the end about the breakfast.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_letting-guests-post-wedding-breakfast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8378d2b1-ea39-4790-a37b-08b5b737b9cbPost:6dbbc578-bd1f-4e03-af28-d9ab4500696d">Re: Letting Guests Know about Post-wedding breakfast</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you doing OOT bags?  Even if you don't, you could do a welcome letter that the hotel will hand to each guest upon check-in.  You could tell them any important wedding info (times, transportation, etc) and then put a blurb at the end about the breakfast.
    Posted by ecsmiles[/QUOTE]

I've definitely thought about doing some kind of welcome letter to let OOT guests know about the breakfast.  My concern is that if they don't know about the breakfast in advance, they might book early flights out and not be able to attend.
  • Options
    We put a note in our OOT bags and let guests know at the wedding when we talked to them!  It was a great topic other then the wedding and my dress! :)
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would just tell them over the phone... It's annoying to have to make those phone calls, but at least you know the right information is getting to the right people.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_letting-guests-post-wedding-breakfast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8378d2b1-ea39-4790-a37b-08b5b737b9cbPost:ca5bd0c1-7183-4bb8-984a-6fe9cbf2ca95">Re: Letting Guests Know about Post-wedding breakfast</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Letting Guests Know about Post-wedding breakfast : I've definitely thought about doing some kind of welcome letter to let OOT guests know about the breakfast.  My concern is that if they don't know about the breakfast in advance, they might book early flights out and not be able to attend.
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

I think you are still better off doing it this way, even if it means some people won't be there.  You don't want to tell people who won't be staying at that hotel, and there really isn't a way to find out in advance who is going to stay there.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    We're having a BBQ the day after, and including inserts with the invites. If you know who will be staying at the hotel, putting them in only their invites is an option... word it something like "Guests staying at the XYZ Inn are welcome to join the newlyweds for breakfast blah blah blah"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think an insert in your invites to out of town guests who may be staying there would be nice. If you aren't doing that- then in the OOT bags would suffice. Whatever you do- please inform them! I was in my friends wedding in 2008, stayed at the hotel and she mentioned breakfast the next morning.

My FI and I went downstairs to the little cafe in the morning and only saw a few of her relatives there. After eating and leaving, we found my friend in the hallway asking us where on earth we were for the breakfast. They had it in a large dining room- but were missing a lot of people because a lot of them thought it was in the cafe. Big mix up- and they paid for the breakfast too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I ditto putting it in the out of town guests' wedding invitations as an insert.  Our oot invitations included an events card that had information about the rehearsal "welcome" dinner and farewell brunch.  It will also be included on our welcome letter in the oot bags.
  • Options
    We're having a big breakfast the next morning for people staying in the hotel. We're just using word of mouth.
  • Options
    I'd do word of mouth. 

If you have an accommodation card or a website, you might make note of the hotel providing breakfast the morning after the wedding to encourage your OOT guests to stay at the hotel as opposed to another place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards