North Carolina

Destination, "Day-of" Beach Wedding Coordinator

I am planning a beach wedding on the east coast of NC (from Raleigh) and am curious as far as coordinators go. We are from Raleigh and are considering Wrightsville/near Wilmington. Would you suggest hiring a day-of coordinator or full event coordinator?  And could anyone recommend a day-of coordinator and let me know of their rate(s)? Thanks!

Re: Destination, "Day-of" Beach Wedding Coordinator

• edited December 2011
    It's all in how much time you have to plan, how much you want to do, and how much you want to spend!

For example, I am currently planning our Charlotte wedding from Austin, TX.  I work full time but I am off work by 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so I have plenty of time to deal with wedding stuff.  I have chosen to go with a day-of coordinator to remove that stress from my FI & I, as well as our families.  I also enjoy doing all of the wedding planning myself, and since I can, it's fine.  I will be moving to Raleigh in January and will continue doing the same.

I have no idea on planners in that area, but it is feasible for you to do it yourself and just have a day-of coordinator with that kind of distance between yourself and your venue city unless you truly don't have time due to your job/other commitments and your budget allows for a full planner.  I have been able to do so much through phone and e-mail, and make my planning visits strategic.  That's just my two cents though :)  Everyone is in a different situation as to what their wants and needs are as far as a planner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • kernvaleriekernvalerie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of brides have told me (after their wedding) that a DOC is definitely worth the investment!  I'm currently looking for one myself.  First quote I received back is roughly $400 -- I thought that was pretty reasonable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married on the beach at Topsail in Sept. and have hired a full event coordinator. I hired Total Package Events and have been very pleased. It has def been worth the money. I dont have a lot of family/friends that I felt like I could depend on to help me and I was getting really stressed so my FI agreed that we could budget for a wedding coordinator. I agree w/the other ladies though. It just depends on how much you are willing/want to do.
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I think I am getting overwhelmed by the very thought of planning a wedding. I do like the idea of having some sort of guidance and recommendations from someone more familiar with the area, but having a "day-of" would definitely be more budget friendly. And $400 - That does sound very reasonable!
  • edited December 2011
    The day-of coordinator budgets can run a huge range though.  In the Charlotte area, I saw them from $750 to $2,000 but it's certainly more budget friendly.  But you need to do what is best for you and your FI's sanity, and your budget.  The DOC was what we could afford and at the time, my sanity could stand planning the wedding.  NOW I wish I had a planner doing everything (has nothing do with the wedding :p).

Good luck :) I am sure you will find a great person to fill either role.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying my planner about $850 but I think that just depends on how much you want them to do.I didnt want the stress. She's already had 2 meetings w/us in person at the venue and I have had a couple of phone calls and emails. Last mtg we had she had set up appts w/ photog, caterer, officiate, and florist. She has def been worth every penny. I havent had to worry about anything other than decisions and how Im going to pay for everything :)
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hired Meredith McSwain out of Wilmington as our DOC.  She charged us $300 and was worth every penny and more!  She is incredible and saw all the little things that I was too busy to notice. I highly recommend her! Her e-mail is themcswains@gmail.com and she has her business on LinkIn.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards