Getting in Shape
Options

Weightloss and wedding dress question

Between the wedding in August and the Ironman triathlon in November, I really have no excuse to not get into better shape. I mean the workouts alone will have me dropping weight.

I realistically need to lose 40lbs to be at my key weight for the race, however my wedding is 2 months before the race.  I am thinking of setting a goal of 1lb per week from now until then (average) which gets me 37# loss.  

My only concern is with wedding dresses.  I need to lose the weight to ease up on the possibility of becoming injured during my Ironman training, but if I buy a dress which fits me now, it could be up to 4 sizes too big come August.  What does one do in this case?  How do I plan to lose weight without jeopardizing my dress fitting?

How alterable are dresses?
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Weightloss and wedding dress question

• Options
    That is tough. I am looking at dress shopping at the end of this month, but I won't be at my goal weight (assuming I lose 1lbs/week) until like the week before my wedding, so I have similar worries.

I think most dresses can be altered two sizes, and I've read that it takes losing 20 lbs to actually lose a size, but if you're doing a lot of strength training, you would lose more inches.

Do you have your wedding dress already? You could always ask a seamstress how much your dress can be altered. I don't really have any other advice for you, that's a tough situation! 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weightloss-wedding-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:13d339ac-fe18-4a53-9529-396444deb0c0Post:f9c00781-b218-4ac1-9fa5-8e108e48d92a">Re: Weightloss and wedding dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is tough. I am looking at dress shopping at the end of this month, but I won't be at my goal weight (assuming I lose 1lbs/week) until like the week before my wedding, so I have similar worries. I think most dresses can be altered two sizes, and <strong>I've read that it takes losing 20 lbs to actually lose a size, but if you're doing a lot of strength training, you would lose more inches. </strong>Do you have your wedding dress already? You could always ask a seamstress how much your dress can be altered. I don't really have any other advice for you, that's a tough situation! 
    Posted by meg65[/QUOTE]

Totally different from person to person.  I've gone from a tight fitting 18 to a loose fitting 14 by losing 28 lbs.
  • Options
    How "alterable" a dress is depends on the dress.

Have you started training yet?  That way you can start to get a feel to gauge where you think your body/weight loss will be at.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weightloss-wedding-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:13d339ac-fe18-4a53-9529-396444deb0c0Post:f9c00781-b218-4ac1-9fa5-8e108e48d92a">Re: Weightloss and wedding dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Do you have your wedding dress already? You could always ask a seamstress how much your dress can be altered. I don't really have any other advice for you, that's a tough situation! 
    Posted by meg65[/QUOTE]

Not yet, I am going to start looking later this week after I finish my MBA!  It has been one heckova year hahahaha!
  • Options
    The dress stuff has been addressed, so I just wnated to throw this out there:

Be careful trying to lose weight and train for a big event like that at the same time.  You'll need to very carefully track your calories in and out to make sure that you're fueling your body and getting enough carbs and protein for recovery.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I'm running into the same problem so I've found a dress shape that is a little more forgiving and I'm also going to get a corset back so it doesn't have to be "perfectly" fitted and I can tighten as much as need be the day-of
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weightloss-wedding-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:13d339ac-fe18-4a53-9529-396444deb0c0Post:4434bef1-aa95-403d-82ea-d7d353f33a7a">Re: Weightloss and wedding dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]How "alterable" a dress is depends on the dress. Have you started training yet?  That way you can start to get a feel to gauge where you think your body/weight loss will be at.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

I started last week.  So far I have been focusing on finishing my MBA Thesis, so once that is done (Wednesday) then I will bein full workout mode (1-3 hours 6 days a week). 

I gain and lose weight very quickly which worries me.  However, if I can lose at least 10-15 lbs by the end of January, that will let me know about where I will be moving forward. 

Other question - since my wedding is in August (late, the week prior to Memorial day) when should I be buying my dress?  I am thinking February or March.  Is that too late?
  • Options
    You can usually go down 2-3 sizes in a dress.  If you haven't picked one out yet, dresses with a corset back would be more forgiving for weight fluctuation.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Oh, and you're probably good with buying the dress 6-8 months in advance.  Ask the shop, however, to see when you have to order it by.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    [QUOTE]That is tough. I am looking at dress shopping at the end of this month, but I won't be at my goal weight (assuming I lose 1lbs/week) until like the week before my wedding, so I have similar worries. I think most dresses can be altered two sizes, and <strong>I've read that it takes losing 20 lbs to actually lose a size</strong>, but if you're doing a lot of strength training, you would lose more inches. Do you have your wedding dress already? You could always ask a seamstress how much your dress can be altered. I don't really have any other advice for you, that's a tough situation! 
    Posted by meg65[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, I don't know about that.  For me, about five pounds means I need to find new jeans.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, wait until about 5 or 6 months out to look for a dress.  I know that sounds like you'll be pushing it, but I would bet that you'll still have plenty of time.  My dress came in only 2 months after I ordered it, and now it's sitting in my closet for several more months before it's time for alterations.</div><div>
    </div><div>When you do start shopping, maybe look for a style with a corset back?  That'll make it a little more adjustable.

</div>
  • Options
    You definitel need to inform the person doing your dress fittings of your goals and plans.  They do fittings every few weeks and keep adjusting to your size.
    However, 4 sizes is a lot.  Did you buy the dress yet?  I would order the dress in a smaller size if you're definitely sure you could reach your goal.

Check out this great fun package to help you with your weight loss goal:
    https://cadessdevie.com/deals/pablo-fitness_92.html

76% Savings! $45 Unlimited Week of Spinning (Original Value $210 for 7 classes); 64% Savings! $50 Unlimited Month of Zumba or Vinyasa Yoga (Original Value $140)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards