Texas-Houston

torn: the houstonian vs the courtyard on st james place

all right so here is my dilemna.. my fiance and i want to see "green" and be easy to get outside-ish during the reception.. the courtyard on st james looks and seems EXQUISITE.. well, we might have the chance to get the Forest Ballroom at the Houstonian. however the Forest Ballroom has NO windows.. what to do? what to do? any advice is appreciated..

Thanks in advance

-Vicky

Re: torn: the houstonian vs the courtyard on st james place

• PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that I enjoyed having windows at my venue. In my opinion it allows better pictures with the natural sunlight. However, if your reception is going to be at night, then I guess it wouldn't really make that much of a difference.

For me I chose a venue with windows also because without the windows, I felt that the rooms often felt empty without some kind of uplighting, or other additional lighting which would have ended up being another expense.

So my vote is somewhere with windows, but it is up to you.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• sklink0486sklink0486 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. The only thing that I will mention though is that my fiance is a wedding photographer and he recently shot a wedding at a restaurant with floor to ceiling windows- it looked beautiful during the day, but when he was taking pictures at the reception, he had to take them standing on the side of the windows looking at the inside of the building because when he saw pics he took when looking towards the windows you could see the flash on the ceiling. The restaurant had some kind of draping on the ceiling and it looked like a giant spaceship coming out of nowhere in the pics...but maybe if your venue has high ceilings, it won't be an issue. Just a thought.
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• edited December 2011
    check out the Crystal Ballroom at the Rice
  • edited December 2011
    have you looked at the woodlands resort?
  • Mandan5Mandan5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at Courtyard and I loved it.  The outside is beautiful and requires little to no extra decoration.  All my guests commented on how beautiful the venue was and how great the food was.  The people at Courtyard were great to deal with too.  I have no experience with the Houstonian, but I would definitely recommend Courtyard, especially if you want a location with a great outdoor area.
  • mvb22mvb22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks you guys! apparently im not doing this in the best time frame. my wedding is in november and alot is taken. Where we wanted to have it at the Houstonian is actually booked. Courtyard really hasnt wow-ed us, but could be an option as they have our date. IT is very charming.

Crystal Ballroom is booked.

to the lady that said woodlands country club.. thats further than we want to go out. BUT we do have the option of Carlton Woods if everything falls through.

right now, we might be able to have Hotel ZaZa.. and im putting a call into Intercontinental.. those have WOWED us! :D

Thanks again, and wish us luck! Im ready to find the right venue!
  • Eboix518Eboix518 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What about Petroleum Club? Overlooks downtown lots of windows...

Nevermind...you said easy access to outside

The Parador, Las Velas, or The Gallery also might be an option. If you looked at the Intercont. try the Omni, we looked there too
  • mvb22mvb22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Petroleum club is booked! :( That place looked way nice!!  We may look at the Magnolia Hotel or the Four Seasons Downtown! Not sure if they're available.

Looks like we have a good chance that we'll end up with The Intercontinental Hotel! Its way way way nice ((and pimp!!!))!! And the service has already impressed me! AND they have our day!! Looks like this one might be meant to be!!

im almost starting to breathe again.. wow.. this was a doosey for me!

THANKS!! -V
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards