Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Tuxes VS. Suits

Hi ladies,

Ok so forgive me for the dumb question here, but what exactly is the difference between a tux and a suit? I have been looking online and dont really see much of a difference, and some of you are pretty adamant on one above the other, and I am just wondering what are the actual differences? I am assuming that a tux is more formal, but they really look similar.

And.... I was wondering can you rent suits just like you can tuxes? Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Tuxes VS. Suits

• Options
    we found a ralph lauren chaps suit at kohl's for our guys. we wanted charcoal gray and mens wearhouse didnt have a tux in that color option (they said they had a vera wang one coming out in september, but it had already been delayed, so we worried that it might get delayed again). long story short, the suit cost less than a tux rental and they all get to keep a nice suit that would definitely be useful for them in future.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    a tux is more formal.  A tux will usually have a slightly different cut, and usually, has the shiny line down the side of the pants. 

A very nice, tailored suit can look just as nice as a tux though.  So, it really is about personal preference.
  • Options
    Tuxes have a different type of shirt and have satin lapels and stripes down the side of the pants. Suits do not. Strictly speaking, tuxes are only for evening and should not be worn for events starting before 6pm.
  • Options
    Tuxes are very formal evening wear.  They should not be worn before 6PM, although you can fudge on that a little.  But a tux at 2PM is not appropriate.
  • Options

My hubby and the groomsmen simply bought or used black suits they already had. We asked them to wear white shirts, and we purchased silver silk ties & matching pocket squares and gave them to them. For my hubby I ordered him a silver herringbone vest, pocket square and tie set from Macy's on sale.

Everyone's suit looked great, they looked coordinated, and they have something they can wear forever for the same price as a rental.

Our wedding was last August. Once we got to the reception they took off their jackets, which most men do. At that time they are wearing half of what they purchased-previously owned or rented. It just seemed like such a waste to have rentals.

• Options
    ^^^we did almost the exact same thing, except got colored ties for my husband's GM to wear to go along with my BM jewel-tone colored dresses. All the guys wore black suits, half bought new ones and half used on they already owned. My H got a silver tie and vest and pocket square combo to go with his so when he took off his jacket (as they all would in August!) he still looked quite dapper. Considered tuxes briefly but between having an afternoon ceremony and feeling it was too formal and feeling it was a rip-off for our GM, we definitely preferred the suit option in the end!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards