Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

my name quandry

Hello,

I have recently gotten engaged to my wonderful boyfriend of several years. I'm really excited about it, but there is one thing that is sort of looming over me, and the anxiety is starting to be difficult to deal with. It's about whether I should change my name.

Here's the lowdown- my fiance has a nice, short last name and I have nothing specific against his name. For the longest time, I was excited about getting his name because I have a very long, hyphenated name and I always saw it as something of a burden. My name always ran off the page, debit card, diploma, you name it. People can't pronounce it, they comment on its length, and it somehow always leads to this indepth discussion of my family dynamics that I get tired of having.

The women of my family do not take their husbands' names, but to get around that a bit my dad agreed to take my mother's last name hyphenated so we would all have the same last name in our little nuclear family. I don't know my father's family at all and never cared for his name that much so most of the time I lob his name off and I have a relatively acceptibly-lengthed name. But, the more I really think about it, the more I don't want to give up my mother's name, as I am very close to my family on her side and I hate the convention that women are expected to give up their names and identities when they marry.

On the flip side, I want to have the same last name as my husband because I don't want my children to have to worry about this the same way I have, and I don't want to give them hyphenated names. I should also mention that we live in a rural Alaskan town and his family is very well-established and respected. It put it another way, having his name would carry weight in a way that it might be difficult to understand for someone who lives outside of the bush.

To make matters worse, my father expressed disappointment when I broached legally changing my name to just mom's name. He seemed maligned by the decision, which isn't what I want because I have a great relationship with my dad, just not his family.

My fiance is dumbfounded by and mostly unaware of the level of my inner turmoil. He insists he does not care what name I choose, won't be hurt if I don't take his, but stops short of agreeing to take mine or form some kind of mutant hybrid.

I know nobody can tell me what to do and it's a decision I have to come to myself. I also know that I'm stressing about this way to much. I was hoping you ladies could give me some examples of what you are doing last-name wise and why. At this rate I am going to come out of the wedding named Sarah Althea Brotherton-Manna-Guthrie or worse, go nuts and run screaming into the night.
HELP

Re: my name quandry

• Options
    First of all, please separate "your name" from "your identity."  As someone who is planning on changing her name, it bothers me that people assume I'm somehow giving up who I am as a person just because my name is changing.  I'm not going to have some magical personality transformation just because my name is different, nor will you if you ultimately choose to change your name.

That said, I get that the thought of being called something other than what you've been called your whole life is weird, and jarring, and takes some getting used to, and I also completely get that for some people, changing their name is just not the right choice.  All I can say is, whatever decision you make, don't let other people make it for you.  Your dad (and your mom, and whoever else is nosing around in this decision) need to understand that, whatever name you choose, it's not a rejection of the person/people attached to the names you didn't choose - it's a practical choice based on what's going to fit your life best going forward as a married woman.  Make the choice that feels the most "right" to you, and don't worry about how it does or doesn't make other people feel.  It's your name, not theirs.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Why do you worry?
  • Options
    Hopefully it will come to you in time...
    I have always been a girl who has wanted to keep her name. There are many small reasons for me, but for the most part, I just feel it is the name I was born with and if I don't want to go through the process of changing my name, then I won't.
    Most of my friends changed their last names, but I have some friends who have kept their maiden names, and know one person whose husband changed his name, and two people who (along with their husbands) both hyphenated their names. Luckily we live in a time where times are changing and you can do whatever you want. Maybe you can somehow incorporate your maiden name and husband's name into a middle AND last name so the last name itself won't be so long.
    I told my fiance long before we were engaged that I knew I wanted to keep my last name if we were to get married. Luckily for me he is the type of guy whose last name has a lot of meaning to him, and because of that he understands if I do not want to change my name. His feeling is that if he doesn't plan on changing his name, he can't expect me to do it either... I'm so thankful that he doesn't care about the last name either.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]First of all, please separate "your name" from "your identity." 
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]
    But you have to understand that I do see it that way. My name is an important part of my identity. It may be a cultural thing, coming from Alaska which is very culturally informed by Native traditions. We think of our names as gifts, and they are meaningful in that sense.<div>So I'm torn because I have the gift of my name which was given to me by my parents, and the gift of a name from the man I love and am going to marry.</div><div>I am thinking I may legally take his name but continue to use my own informally, or use them together informally.</div>
  • Options
    FWIW, I did not change my last name and neither did my now-husband. He has 2 middle names, one being my MIL's maiden name. My last name is long, not appropriate for hyphenating, and honestly, I just didn't want to change it. If he doesn't have to, why should I? Plus, I do tie a lot of my identity to my name (my name flows very nicely, if I do say so myself, it's very Scottish, which is half of my dad's genetic makeup, etc). Plus there are the feminist reasons, the fact that it's a PITA to get it changed on eveything, and basically, in the end, I've never found a good reason for changing it. My mother and I have different last names. It's not a big deal to me if my kids don't have my last name.

However, if you are planning on having kids there are a lot of naming options, all of them somewhat imperfect! My husband and I decided that our kids will get my last name as a second middle (carrying on family tradition) and his last name. We have friends who gave their first child the husband's last name and their second child the wife's last name. I have a friend whose parents each kept their last name, but gave their children a hyphenated last name. Since you say your husband's last name is well known in the community, perhaps you'd be willing to give it to your future children? If you aren't planning on having children, it's a moot point.

I'd say you could either make part or all of your current last name your middle name and then hyphenate your husband's last name and your mother's last name, perhaps, or you could make your husband's last name your middle name, or a second middle, if you feel the need to tie it to yours. Or you can leave your name as-is.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I can't really give you advice on what you should do, because I've known since I was in grade school that I was going to change my last name when I grew up, regardless of if I got married or not (I really didn't like my maiden name, and have next to nothing to do with anybody that I shared it with), so yeah, it wasn't a hard decision for me to make.

But, I can tell you that for your name, you don't have to do what your mom, dad, FI neighbor's cousin's dog tells you to do. It's your name, so you are the only one who gets to make this decision.

If you want to have the same name as your FI, that's fine. If you want to keep your name, that's fine, too. But if your FI doesn't want to change his own name, that's something you're going to have to accept. Just as he can't force you into a last name you don't want, you can't force him into a name he doesn't want.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_my-name-quandry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:49ebf442-d565-45a1-9d1e-d8eed24a2cf2Post:5a196813-f050-443f-af12-00ec6449dbf8">Re: my name quandry</a>:
    [QUOTE]But you have to understand that I do see it that way. My name is an important part of my identity. It may be a cultural thing, coming from Alaska which is very culturally informed by Native traditions. We think of our names as gifts, and they are meaningful in that sense. So I'm torn because I have the gift of my name which was given to me by my parents, and the gift of a name from the man I love and am going to marry. I am thinking I may legally take his name but continue to use my own informally, or use them together informally.
    Posted by saraithegeek[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing, you do not have to take action on a legal name change the day you get married.  No matter what choice you make, many people will assume you've changed your last name and, I promise, someone will call you by his last name or address a piece of mail that way.  Live with that for a while (a few months, a year or two, whatever) to get a feel for it.  Maybe that will help.  I don't know.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if you want to make a legal name change, you can always take that action.  It's not something that has to be done immediately.

I don't know if that's helpful or not.  I'm so sorry you're struggling with this.  Honestly, I don't know how it feels to go through the angst.  I never changed my name, I never considered it, not for a minute. I wish you the best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards