Not Engaged Yet
Options

Am I a bad neighbor? Doggie etiquette...

Hi girls.  So, ok...I live on the first floor of my apartment building.  In a city.  There are a few TINY patches of grass across the street from my building, but that's it in a 2 block vacinity.

So, when I come home, I take my dog for a walk.  My dog is 12 and she's home for a good 10-12 hours before someone comes home to walk her.  When I walk her, she will usually pee on the sidewalk in front of our apartment building.  Occasionally, when she REALLY has to go, or has had a UTI, she has peed on the concrete steps OUTSIDE of the building.

WHENEVER she pees on the steps, I pour water over them to rinse them off as SOON as I get back inside.  When she pees on the sidewalk, I usually just let it go, unless it's RIGHT underneath the steps.  I mean, we live in a city...dogs pee on sidewalks.

So, ok, I've seen some signs around my building from neighbors/the management company about them not wanting dogs to pee in entranceways.  Ok...like I said, I hose off the steps EVERY time Gemini pees there. 

So there hasn't been any nasty notes in at least 6 months.  Today, I got home from work and took Gemini out.  She peed on the sidewalk, a good 3 feet from the building and around 8 inches from the curb.  A jogger, who apparently lives in the building, flags me down and starts saying, "I was just curious, but haven't you seen the signs?  She's not supposed to pee there, and I've seen pee on the front steps and blahblahblah."

I explained to her that what she sees on the front steps is water from when I hose it down and that neither she nor the management company has a say in whether or not the dog pees on a sidewalk since it's public property...and the conversation was just rather circular.

What are your thoughts?  Am I wrong here?

Re: Am I a bad neighbor? Doggie etiquette...

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I think you are being the best pet owner you can and doing your best to make sure it gets cleaned up. If I was your neighbor, I'd understand because I'm a pet owner. But there are some people that are just intolerant of pets doing anything tiny to upset their perfect balance of life without animals. Unfortunately there will always be issues when you live in close quarters with others and have pets. If they are that bothered by it, they should live in a building that doesn't allow pets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, you can't really control where your dog does her business, but you can clean it up and it sounds like you do.  I would just shrug it off.
  • Options
    You are an excellent neighbor. In my new place people just let the dog shiit right in front of the steps and never clean it up. Our pup always pees on the sidewalk, and every where I have lived where people walk their dogs, the dogs pee on the sidewalk. Your jogger neighbor is just being nit picky. It sounds like you go above and beyond to make sure you clean up after your pup.
    Photobucket
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options

::grumble::

Your neighbor sounds a little OCD. You did your best, and that's all that you can do.

www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    I think you're totally fine & your neighbor's a dog-hating asshole.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards