Wedding Woes
Options

I have an insane maid of honor

My sister is my maid of honor- we have never been close, in fact it is rare for us to get along (we now usually just stay distant and avoid conflict). At my engagement party, we sat her next to my and my fiance's very close friend who is officiating our wedding, because they are similar in age and would probably be able to hold conversation better than our other guests at the engagement party. I noticed them flirting at the party, and asked my fiance to speak with our friend to warn him on not being intimate with my sister, but he forgot to speak with him.. two weeks later, we hear from that friend that my sister has been pursuing him fever since (she asked him to not tell us that she's been talking to him), and that they were planning to go to dinner that weekend. We asked him to end it immediately or wait to be serious and intimate until after our wedding and disclosed information on my sister- she's not very mentally stable, and does not date exclusively (already is seeing multiple men), and has not had a healthy relationship in 5+years. This seemed to blow up in our faces and made her more enticing, because they spent the entire weekend together. If it was a more mentally stable person involved in our wedding dating our friend, it'd be a different story, but my sister does not hesitate to make public scenes and often cries in public over small triggers (i.e. discussing business versus asking her how her day is). My issue is on what to do from here because I can 100% say that they will see each other for a month TOPS- but my sister will undoubtedly make a scene at my wedding if they are not on great terms. Do I kick them both out of standing up? What would you do? 

This is THE LAST stressful thing I need piled on to my plate. My MOH already doesn't do any miad of honor things (I expected as much) and staying neutral in the planning process is one thing (not helping nor hurting) but when you add stress and negativity to the planning without any positives, you have to be the most inconsiderate selfish person, ever.

Re: I have an insane maid of honor

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-have-an-insane-maid-of-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a9e842a-4799-42d4-863e-0e33d8835b94Post:42c394ef-bb37-4267-be0a-f74cc850f0e3">I have an insane maid of honor</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister is my maid of honor- we have never been close, in fact it is rare for us to get along (we now usually just stay distant and avoid conflict). At my engagement party, we sat her next to my and my fiance's very close friend who is officiating our wedding, because they are similar in age and would probably be able to hold conversation better than our other guests at the engagement party. I noticed them flirting at the party, and asked my fiance to speak with our friend to warn him on not being intimate with my sister, but he forgot to speak with him.. two weeks later, we hear from that friend that my sister has been pursuing him fever since (she asked him to not tell us that she's been talking to him), and that they were planning to go to dinner that weekend. We asked him to end it immediately or wait to be serious and intimate until after our wedding and disclosed information on my sister- she's not very mentally stable, and does not date exclusively (already is seeing multiple men), and has not had a healthy relationship in 5+years. This seemed to blow up in our faces and made her more enticing, because they spent the entire weekend together. If it was a more mentally stable person involved in our wedding dating our friend, it'd be a different story, but my sister does not hesitate to make public scenes and often cries in public over small triggers (i.e. discussing business versus asking her how her day is). My issue is on what to do from here because I can 100% say that they will see each other for a month TOPS- but my sister will undoubtedly make a scene at my wedding if they are not on great terms. Do I kick them both out of standing up? What would you do?  This is THE LAST stressful thing I need piled on to my plate. My MOH already doesn't do any miad of honor things (I expected as much) and staying neutral in the planning process is one thing (not helping nor hurting) but when you add stress and negativity to the planning without any positives, you have to be the most inconsiderate selfish person, ever.
    Posted by Roxy76434[/QUOTE]

They're grown-ups (allegedly) and you can't make them do anything.
    Everything you say and do to stop them is going to 'romeo and juliet' them together.

So...separately, tell each of them that regardless of what happens, you expect them to behave as adults at your wedding.
    If they can't, then you'll know well before then,  no?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-have-an-insane-maid-of-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a9e842a-4799-42d4-863e-0e33d8835b94Post:35f9708a-f6ed-487e-9021-414b87c8d2e3">Re: I have an insane maid of honor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I have an insane maid of honor : They're grown-ups (allegedly) and you can't make them do anything. Everything you say and do to stop them is going to 'romeo and juliet' them together. So...separately, tell each of them that regardless of what happens, you expect them to behave as adults at your wedding. If they can't, then you'll know well before then,  no?
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah I would know in time to make any changes if need be, it's just that it's not my sister's character to ever act as an adult- leaving me extremely stressed because this entire situation is out of my control and in the control of her mood swings and temporary desires.</div>
  • Options
    All thoughts aside that you can't legislate who your wedding party chooses to hook up with, besides the groom...it doesn't sound like you really like your sister very much. Why is she your MOH?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-have-an-insane-maid-of-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a9e842a-4799-42d4-863e-0e33d8835b94Post:6066c524-07be-478d-b2d3-a3356a97ca7d">Re:I have an insane maid of honor</a>:
    [QUOTE]All thoughts aside that you can't legislate who your wedding party chooses to hook up with, besides the groom...it doesn't sound like you really like your sister very much. Why is she your MOH?
    Posted by dharmabunny[/QUOTE]

<div>To avoid any scenes from her at my wedding if she wasn't. Also, to make my mother happy.</div>
  • Options
    It was not your place to tell your friend who he can and cannot hook up with. If she causes a scene, that will reflect poorly on her, not you.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    1. Is your sister really mentally unstable?  As in, could harm herself or other people?  Does she have a drug problem?  What is your family doing to get the help she needs?

2. Your sister and your GM are adults.  This game of 'don't sleep together' telephone is ridiculous.  And as you can see, it turned into, "OMG, don't tell Roxy!"

3. If your sister really makes scenes either way, then why did you feel pressured to make her MOH.  It wasn't going to make her 'happy'.

4. How does your FI feel about the fact that you feel you have to keep your mom and sister happy?  Where does your and his happiness fall into the equation?  Because today, it's making your sister MOH and tomorrow, it could be much bigger issues,  like the fact that you don't let your sister dogsit, babysit, or you don't invite her to do whatever (go to a concert, go on vacation) with you.

5.  Why is everyone coddling your sister?  You included.  Nobody ever has given this woman a 'ho, sit down' card?  How old is she?  How old are you?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-have-an-insane-maid-of-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:4a9e842a-4799-42d4-863e-0e33d8835b94Post:2c46f101-73dd-41a6-bf8c-31b0cc011efb">Re: I have an insane maid of honor</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was not your place to tell your friend who he can and cannot hook up with. If she causes a scene, that will reflect poorly on her, not you.
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this ^.  If she makes a scene, it'll make her look ridiculous.  Just keep calm if it happens and go with the flow.  Sucks, but you can't really micromanage the relationship between two consenting adults.  The more you say no and try to meddle, the more aggrevated it will make you when they go against your 'advice'.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards